Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JC10311] [#1]
Today was a good day.  I managed to get a basic solar system set up in the new shed.  Now there's at least light in there.  It will be guest quarters when I get it done, but have only the basics.  I don't want the guests to get TOO comfortable.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JC10311] [#2]
I got the critical items unpacked and set up.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. Is your range open to campers/squatters?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
View Quote
Yes, as long as you can hit steel every time.  I don't have a good berm done yet and have had some rounds go way down range.  There's noting behind the targets for 1-1/3 mile, but I'm always nervous about errant rounds.  Pistol and small caliber rifle are no problem.  I'm looking for a neighbor with a Bobcat or front loader who will build the berm without charging me an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JC10311:
Yes, as long as you can hit steel every time.  I don't have a good berm done yet and have had some rounds go way down range.  There's noting behind the targets for 1-1/3 mile, but I'm always nervous about errant rounds.  Pistol and small caliber rifle are no problem.  I'm looking for a neighbor with a Bobcat or front loader who will build the berm without charging me an arm and a leg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I may be headed your way this upcoming week. What's the best way to get in touch with you?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]

I may be headed your way this upcoming week. What's the best way to get in touch with you?
View Quote
I'll IM you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
JC10311,
Been awhile since you have posted an update.  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  Hope your camp is doing well in spite of the storms.

Stay Dry
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Get some old junk car tires, stack them up and fill them with dirt one at a time while stacking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Andy_J:
JC10311,
Been awhile since you have posted an update.  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  Hope your camp is doing well in spite of the storms.

Stay Dry
View Quote
He was on the Friday night net two days ago. Seems to be doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm still here.  I've been working on converting a second 10X20 shed.  The wiring is done and the insulation is about 75% done.  The next step is bead board on the ceiling and sheet rock on the walls.  I've also been doing quite a bit of reloading.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#12]
Any updates or new projects, OP?
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
No new projects and none will be started.  On September 14th I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given five to seven months to live.  It's all through my lungs as well, and is inoperable.  Chemo would be the only option, but it has only a 5% effectiveness on my type of cancer and would most likely keep me sick most of the time.  I elected to refuse.  All my efforts are going into end-of-life planning and staying as pain free as possible.  

I know that was pretty blunt, but there's no reason to sugar coat it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
No new projects and none will be started.  On September 14th I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given five to seven months to live.  It's all through my lungs as well, and is inoperable.  Chemo would be the only option, but it has only a 5% effectiveness on my type of cancer and would most likely keep me sick most of the time.  I elected to refuse.  All my efforts are going into end-of-life planning and staying as pain free as possible.  

View Quote
Well shit

I am so very sorry. If there is anything we in the community can do to help, please ask.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Damn.. That's Aweful.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck pancreatic cancer.

I'm sorry. Let me know if you need anything.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely terrible news. I am truly very saddened to hear that. Please let me/us know if you need anything at all. I’m laid up with a broken leg right now, but my pops will certainly drive me up to your area around Show Low to personally deliver anything you may need.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I was just thinking of you and this thread the other day.. wondering how the project was going. 

I am so saddened to hear this news, and I hope that some miracle happens. I don't have the words to describe it.

FUCK CANCER!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#20]
You are in my prayers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I am very sorry to hear your update.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
fuck me man, sorry to hear that. This is one of the few threads I enjoy checking out when I see new replies have been posted, definitely didn’t see yours coming.

If there is anything we can do, let us know. Also, is there anything you want to do or see in AZ / surrounding areas? I’d be willing to come pick you up and take you around to check a few things off your bucket list.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Praying for you!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Man.

Thats fucking awful.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#26]
This news really sucks.  Spend your life working your ass off only to get hit with this.  Prayers being sent.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#27]
That is just terrible. I'm so very sorry. I wish we knew each other. I have enjoyed this thread and your spirit for adventure. You will be in my prayers as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Any updates OP? I wad thinking about you the other day and curious how it was coming along.   I'm praying for ya.  Hope you're doing well and staying warm.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Damn dude I'm sorry to hear that. I really dug this thread while it lasted. I really don't know what else to say beyond that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PHOENIX13] [#30]
OK ladies & gents, as most of you know, I took some time to drive out to John's (@JC10311) place north of St John's on Saturday. Thanks the the HTF members who had helped with the legwork to get his parcel number, I was able to locate it on a map and get some GPS coordinates, which really aided in finding his homestead.

On the drive up there, I was formulating the possible scenarios that I would encounter. Most probable were: Land was vacated, showing that John had moved away due to his conditions (presumably with family), John was still there and still with us and would be happy to see a HTF member there, John was there and upset that we came to see him, and the last was that John may have passed away alone on his property. Upon my arrival, I was pleased to meet his brother and sister, who are out to spend time with John in his final days (John's brother has been out for some weeks now).

I was able to spend some time talking to John's brother and sister, who reported that John was expected to pass within the next few days. John's brother took me for a walk and we talked about John of course. I told him how much John meant to a lot of us, and that several of us were very worried about him. I told him about how John had made this thread, showing how he was living and how his homestead came about. I told him how John had given me some good info on buying some land up that way, or really anywhere (because who doesn't want to have their own range somewhere??), and how he was active in the HAM subforums on here as well. John's brother showed me the range that John had set up, and had spoken about how much John loved shooting as well as how much he loved reloading.

John's brother reported that since John had knowledge of how bad his condition is, he did have time to plan his estate. His attention to detail was as good as it seemed in this thread. John inventoried most of his belongings, and had a say in what his family is to do with them. Some of John's firearms will be retained by the family, and others (along with most of the ammo) is to be sold. John's brother will email me the spreadsheet that John had made after he passes, showing which firearms John wanted sold. John's brother stressed that John REALLY wants these to go to someone who loves firearms as much as he did, and will use them. John's land will be retained by the family, and they hope that they are able to occasionally use it for camping / shooting / hosting family trips in his honor / etc. John seemed to not leave very many stones unturned.

John was a man of faith, which his brother said he really grew stronger in since his diagnosis. It pleased me to hear that John was at peace with his coming passing, and that he saw it merely as a transition to the afterlife that he knows is waiting for him. Once again, I was also pleased that John was being kept as pain free as possible, and was with loved ones in his final days. As I said, John had made plans for what is to happen after his passing. John wishes to be cremated, and for his ashes to be taken to Gilroy, CA, where his wife's remains already are.

I texted with John's brother this morning, and he is still here with us as of this morning. John's brother will keep me posted on when he passes. As stated earlier, he will email me some excel files and wishes that anyone from the HTF who is interested in any of his items has it passed along to them. We will take care of that when the time comes. I will also be sending the link to this thread back to his family once they email me. Please feel free to leave any words for them in this thread, as I am sure that they will enjoy reading them. I will make an update when I find out that he has passed and is with his maker.

Not sure if John was a drinking man, but I am, and will be having a toast of some good scotch in his honor when he does pass.

Godspeed John; thanks for your company here, you have helped many with your knowledge, as well as your friendly ways.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PHOENIX13:
OK ladies & gents, as most of you know, I took some time to drive out to John's (@JC10311) place north of St John's on Saturday. Thanks the the HTF members who had helped with the legwork to get his parcel number, I was able to locate it on a map and get some GPS coordinates, which really aided in finding his homestead.

On the drive up there, I was formulating the possible scenarios that I would encounter. Most probable were: Land was vacated, showing that John had moved away due to his conditions (presumably with family), John was still there and still with us and would be happy to see a HTF member there, John was there and upset that we came to see him, and the last was that John may have passed away alone on his property. Upon my arrival, I was pleased to meet his brother and sister, who are out to spend time with John in his final days (John's brother has been out for some weeks now).

I was able to spend some time talking to John's brother and sister, who reported that John was expected to pass within the next few days. John's brother took me for a walk and we talked about John of course. I told him how much John meant to a lot of us, and that several of us were very worried about him. I told him about how John had made this thread, showing how he was living and how his homestead came about. I told him how John had given me some good info on buying some land up that way, or really anywhere (because who doesn't want to have their own range somewhere??), and how he was active in the HAM subforums on here as well. John's brother showed me the range that John had set up, and had spoken about how much John loved shooting as well as how much he loved reloading.

John's brother reported that since John had knowledge of how bad his condition is, he did have time to plan his estate. His attention to detail was as good as it seemed in this thread. John inventoried most of his belongings, and had a say in what his family is to do with them. Some of John's firearms will be retained by the family, and others (along with most of the ammo) is to be sold. John's brother will email me the spreadsheet that John had made after he passes, showing which firearms John wanted sold. John's brother stressed that John REALLY wants these to go to someone who loves firearms as much as he did, and will use them. John's land will be retained by the family, and they hope that they are able to occasionally use it for camping / shooting / hosting family trips in his honor / etc. John seemed to not leave very many stones unturned.

John was a man of faith, which his brother said he really grew stronger in since his diagnosis. It pleased me to hear that John was at peace with his coming passing, and that he saw it merely as a transition to the afterlife that he knows is waiting for him. Once again, I was also pleased that John was being kept as pain free as possible, and was with loved ones in his final days. As I said, John had made plans for what is to happen after his passing. John wishes to be cremated, and for his ashes to be taken to Gilroy, CA, where his wife's remains already are.

I texted with John's brother this morning, and he is still here with us as of this morning. John's brother will keep me posted on when he passes. As stated earlier, he will email me some excel files and wishes that anyone from the HTF who is interested in any of his items has it passed along to them. We will take care of that when the time comes. I will also be sending the link to this thread back to his family once they email me. Please feel free to leave any words for them in this thread, as I am sure that they will enjoy reading them. I will make an update when I find out that he has passed and is with his maker.

Not sure if John was a drinking man, but I am, and will be having a toast of some good scotch in his honor when he does pass.

Godspeed John; thanks for your company here, you have helped many with your knowledge, as well as your friendly ways.
View Quote
Thanks for the detailed update. Good to know he is with family at the end.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Rest in peace Jack. You will be missed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#33]
This is tough to read. He retired and moved to live his dream.

Keep us in the loop on the spreadsheet.

God speed John!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PHOENIX13:

View Quote
Thank you for taking the time to do this. It made my eyes well up for sure. I'm just upset I never got to meet John in person.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]

So heartbreaking to hear this.

If his family is still here when the Freezefest starts, we will be most honored to have them join us if this message can be passed to them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys for doing the leg work on tracking him down.
I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but did get to talk to him on the radio quite a few times. Always a class act and a hell of a lot of fun to talk to.
We gave him a ribbing about the cows coming to call to his place on the ArF net. And lived through his words getting ready to move, and through getting the place set up. He was quite proud of his homestead, and rightfully so.

As much as I hate to see him go, I hope he goes in peace. 73 my friend. Until we meet some day. K0XXX de KC0XXX 73
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the update and for keeping us informed
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#38]
John,  I pray that you'll find peace and eternal happiness soon.  I wanted to thank you for our chats that we had in the past, and know that you'll never be forgotten.

I vote that the next HTF shoot, meet and greet, be in his honor.   I do know that when he gets to the gates of heaven,  Hobbs, FreeBear, and a few other ARFCommers will be there waiting, arms open, and they'll have a big ole bowl of chili WITH BEANS of course.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#39]
JC10311, sorry I have not made it up to see your homestead and do some target practice with you.

You will be missed.  Thank you for your Base Camp thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 3:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#40]
"Come to me, all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.
Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light."

John may you find comfort and rest in the loving arms of our Savior Jesus Christ.

You will be missed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Followed Johns posts since the beginning , it was nice to read about someone truly living the dream. I wish you the best john!

Rest easy , we got it from here
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#42]
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of @JC10311.

John passed away peacefully last night at about 5:30pm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Please relay my condolences to his family & friends.

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
RIP buddy. :(
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
RIP John.

Though we had never met, you will be missed.

Thank you for your time with us and sharing your passion for homesteading.

The Freezefest will be in both your's and Mauser's remembrance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#46]
RIP, John.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#47]
RIP
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#48]
RIP.

Condolences to family and friends.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Rest in Peace, John.
Condolences to the family and friends.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Rest in peace, @JC10311
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top