BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By livinfree:
You didn't sleep in today, did you?

Give us the update.  This is like KTAR news radio, but they don't skip a day.

Besides, this is much better.
View Quote

LOL!  No, I didn't sleep in.  Today was pretty overcast so I didn't get much heat out of the system.  With all the tubes exposed it took until about 2:00 PM to get the water up to 110 degrees.  But, it did start at 44 degrees this morning.  Still not bad.  

I had to spend the morning fixing some problems at work and in the afternoon I took a trip to my friendly local solar shop to talk hot water storage tanks.  Tomorrow I need to do a little more plumbing so I don't have to prime the system every morning when I start it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Last night was a bad night.  I was very sick most of the night.  You do NOT want to know the details.  It was WINDY all night with gusts approaching 70 mph.  I wanted to go check on the panels, but just couldn't do it.

This morning I got up late, about 7:30, and went outside to check on things.  DAMN!  The high winds tipped over my wheelbarrow.  No other visible damage.  

I got the hot water system running again for the day.  It's now 8:50 and the bucket temp is already at 105 degrees, with an OAT of 44 and high winds.  It's going to be hard to get any work done outside today due to the wind and low temps.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you thought about putting some trees up that form a break?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GSL:
View Quote

I like the thought, but I'm not sure what trees would survive up here.  The 10' cedars and junipers are doing a pretty good job of breaking the wind so far.  Even with the high winds we're having, the only thing that moved was the wheelbarrow.  I set up camp in a cluster of (scrubby) trees specifically to get a little relief from the wind.  No one around me has any trees other than the natural flora.

I've anchored the solar PV panels and evacuated tubes down pretty well, and they haven't moved at all.  The 420 gallon tank ain't gonna move, even when it's only half full or so.

Where in AZ are you, and what trees do you have that might survive at 6,000 feet?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JC10311:

I like the thought, but I'm not sure what trees would survive up here.  The 10' cedars and junipers are doing a pretty good job of breaking the wind so far.  Even with the high winds we're having, the only thing that moved was the wheelbarrow.  I set up camp in a cluster of (scrubby) trees specifically to get a little relief from the wind.  No one around me has any trees other than the natural flora.

I've anchored the solar PV panels and evacuated tubes down pretty well, and they haven't moved at all.  The 420 gallon tank ain't gonna move, even when it's only half full or so.

Where in AZ are you, and what trees do you have that might survive at 6,000 feet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GSL:

We're in 5,550 feet of elevation on average around here, and way more depending on where one lives here in Prescott.

Google Prescott native trees and have a look.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome thread I'm a little jealous. When will the firing range be done ?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks pretty sweet. I killed this bull right out then in your neighborhood a few years back. There is not supposed to be elk out there but he didn't get the message.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pyle762:
Looks pretty sweet. I killed this bull right out then in your neighborhood a few years back. There is not supposed to be elk out there but he didn't get the message.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pyle762/media/IMG_1234.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/pyle762/IMG_1234.jpg</a>
View Quote

Oh, there are elk out here.  One of my rancher neighbors was complaining that he spends more time fixing fences that the elk have knocked down than anything else.  I've started seeing a lot of speed goats recently.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Pine trees will grow up there. I have a few on my property at 6600ft. You could start a Christmas tree farm!
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally got all the solar panels installed today.  I added a combiner box with breakers in the process.  I have a lightning arrestor that I'll probably get installed tomorrow.

I wanted to get the 85 watt panels installed today, but I got tired.  SUCKS being old.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Winter arrives and the White Mountains are white!  We got a few inches of snow on Monday and it's still hanging around.

Of course the snow came the evening after getting all the panels installed.

Twenty minutes of scraping and sweeping and I'm back in business.  Temps are staying low all week, but there's only a small chance of more snow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Brrrr. Looks very cold. Heck, I'm freezing down here in the valley and it's 60 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Just the latest challenge.  Dealing with varmints is a constant battle on most homesteads. Mice, rats, skunks, raccoons, etc. can be difficult to get rid of, but my problem is slightly larger. I made the serious mistake of getting some straw bales to use for archery targets. They didn't make it through the first night and now I have lots of new friends.
Does anyone make a live trap this big?

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Welfare Cattle!  

I have some of them.  When I start mowing the cows come up to my fence.  I give them the clippings.

In Arizona it is up to you to fence the cattle out.  However, if you lease more than 50% of your land for cattle grazing you can get a huge property tax break.

Plus the cattle will help to reduce the fuel for fire.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
You freezing ass on this Xmas ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JC10311] [#16]
Originally Posted By mojeb21:
You freezing ass on this Xmas ?
View Quote

LOL. Nope, the trailer is staying toasty.  It doesn't take much to heat 160 square feet.  There's not much outdoor work going on though.  All systems are working as planned.  I did upgrade my battery bank and now I don't have to worry so much about conservation.  The only thing I REALLY miss is an oven.  No home baked goodies.  

The bummer this year is that it's the first Christmas I was totally alone since my wife died.  IT SUCKS!!!  I was able to join the family Skype video conference last night and that helped some.  I am looking forward to spring. I have a lot of projects planned, not the least of which is getting into a REAL cabin.  Did I mention that the trailer is only 160 square feet?

ETA:  Here's the latest final solar installation.  The next final one will be in a few months.

All the batteries are being charged, but I'm running only on the Roll Surrette 605s (red ones) until I get an automatic battery bank switch invented.  The bank of ten Wallyworld batteries is running the lights and freezer in the shed through a 12 volt, Samlex 600 watt pure sine wave inverter.  The bank of eight Duracell golf cart batteries are wired for 24 volts and are the backup for the Surrettes.  

I did get a real battery monitor installed, so now I know what's going on rather than guessing at it using only voltage.  I've checked the specific gravity of the batteries at several points and compared the calculated sate-of-charge to what the meter shows, and the meter is spot on.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Merry Christmas to you JC. I was actually wondering about your new home stead yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice update. You're solar system is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
Nice update. You're solar system is awesome.
View Quote

Thank you.  The next step will be to get it up off the ground and out of reach of the FUCKING COWS!  They seem to like to lick the panels and leave cow spit all over them.  The rack will also allow me to change their tilt angle for different seasons. I don't think I'll go so far as to put a tracker system in.  I have way more batteries than I need now, but when the cabin goes up I'm sure I'll be glad I have them.

It's going to be quiet around here as far as work goes.  Everything is pretty stable.  I'm already looking forward to spring.

Change of subject.  I've walked most of the property and I've found a shooting lane that will be good out to about 600 yards.  Anything longer will require some tree removal.  Theoretically, I can get about 1,200 yards without using any BLM land.  If I put a target out on the BLM land, I could get nearly a mile.  Dreamers gonna dream.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Thank you.  The next step will be to get it up off the ground and out of reach of the FUCKING COWS!  They seem to like to lick the panels and leave cow spit all over them.  The rack will also allow me to change their tilt angle for different seasons. I don't think I'll go so far as to put a tracker system in.  I have way more batteries than I need now, but when the cabin goes up I'm sure I'll be glad I have them.

It's going to be quiet around here as far as work goes.  Everything is pretty stable.  I'm already looking forward to spring.

Change of subject.  I've walked most of the property and I've found a shooting lane that will be good out to about 600 yards.  Anything longer will require some tree removal.  Theoretically, I can get about 1,200 yards without using any BLM land.  If I put a target out on the BLM land, I could get nearly a mile.  Dreamers gonna dream.
View Quote

Easy way to keep the cow way is just put a post at each corner and then run a couple for wires from each then tie in a couple of flag strings.  Of the most part that will keep them away with out needing to electric fence.

As for long range spot, look at building up a little pad.  Makes it nicer to layout prone.  And can help with distance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
If HK's plan doesn't work to keep the cows away from your panels, I'll give you a solor fence charger if you want it.  I'm sure it will need a new battery.

Send me a message if you decide you need it and I'll ship it to you.

Enjoy the weather up there.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#22]
If HK's plan doesn't work to keep the cows away from your panels, I'll give you a solor fence charger if you want it.  I'm sure it will need a new battery.

Send me a message if you decide you need it and I'll ship it to you.

Enjoy the weather up there.
View Quote

IM sent.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Free thread bump and as a matter of curiosity what's the light pollution like out there? Are you able to see the arms of the Milky Way at night?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Fidel_Cashflow:
Free thread bump and as a matter of curiosity what's the light pollution like out there? Are you able to see the arms of the Milky Way at night?
View Quote

There are very few lights around.  I can see the city of St. Johns thirty miles to the south.  Once in a while they have their street light on.  

On a clear night, when there's no moon, the Milky Way dominates the sky, and it's so quiet you can hear the stars blinking on and off.  OK, I made that part up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]

There are very few lights around.  I can see the city of St. Johns thirty miles to the south.  Once in a while they have their street light on.  

On a clear night, when there's no moon, the Milky Way dominates the sky, and it's so quiet you can hear the stars blinking on and off.  OK, I made that part up.
View Quote

That's the dream man. I've looked at property in your area recently. While it's in the range to purchase a lot I doubt I would make it out more than once a year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally got the Dillon 550B unpacked and set up.  The only problem is that it takes up A LOT of space in my tiny trailer.  Right now I have to clamp it to the dinette and stand up to run it.  Last evening I managed to get an astounding five rounds of .45 ACP loaded.  Once the dies are set up in the tool heads, caliber changes are silly simple.  Changing primer sizes is a bit of a PITA, requiring the removal, reinstallation, and realignment  of the entire primer tube assembly.

It’s going to be another overcast day and the roads are so muddy I can’t get out, so maybe I’ll get ten more rounds done today.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I just caught up to the thread and when I saw the cattle I was terrified they'd trash your panels. I hope you put some kind of barrier up ASAP. Cattle could destroy your panels in seconds.

We shoot at a cattle ranch in southern AZ and we've had cattle destroy some of our steel target stands and the cowpies can draw flies like crazy when it warms up. You may want to start saving for some serious fencing  around your property.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By az_larry:
I just caught up to the thread and when I saw the cattle I was terrified they'd trash your panels. I hope you put some kind of barrier up ASAP. Cattle could destroy your panels in seconds.

We shoot at a cattle ranch in southern AZ and we've had cattle destroy some of our steel target stands and the cowpies can draw flies like crazy when it warms up. You may want to start saving for some serious fencing  around your property.
View Quote

An electric fence around the trailer, panels, etc. is going up ASAP.  The bastards have already shattered one of my evacuated tubes and torn up some of the driveway.  The PV panels are going to be put on a rack that's out of reach for the cattle.  I'm probably going to have to raise the evacuated tubes as well.  To fence the entire property with four strands of barbed wire is about $17,000! The perimeter is about a mile.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#29]
..... You may want to start saving for some serious fencing  around your property.
View Quote

Yes.
If they decide to hang around they will mess up every tree, bush and leave the land a mess.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]

There's no water on the lot, but there is a community well about three miles away, and it's free to property owners.  My latest acquisition (yesterday) was a trailer and 275 gallon tank that I can drag to the well and bring water back.  Once I get the house built, I'll put in a 500 gallon tank.  Why?  I don't know.  I only use about 10 gallons of water a day when I decide to shower, and less that 5 gallons when I don't.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=91313

A new problem cropped up yesterday afternoon.  The propane regulator on the trailer committed suicide.  Luckily I had a spare that I was going to use to convert the generator to propane.  Ten minutes later I had heat, hot water, and a stove again.  Accidental prepping at its best.
View Quote
That will grow algae if you don't cover it or paint it, so I hear.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
That will grow algae if you don't cover it or paint it, so I hear.  
View Quote

I put in a 425 gallon storage tank that's dark green to stop algae.  I use the tote just for hauling water and treat it with bleach during transport.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm 25 miles north of downtown Phoenix and I have no trouble seeing the Milky Way on a cloudless night.

As usual, thanks for the update OP. It's nice to live vicariously. Good luck. Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By lew:
I'm 25 miles north of downtown Phoenix and I have no trouble seeing the Milky Way on a cloudless night.

As usual, thanks for the update OP. It's nice to live vicariously. Good luck. Cheers!
View Quote

You better show us the Milky Way and whisper sweet nothings into our ears while we're there next Friday.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
You literally have no idea what's in store for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]

An electric fence around the trailer, panels, etc. is going up ASAP.  The bastards have already shattered one of my evacuated tubes and torn up some of the driveway.  The PV panels are going to be put on a rack that's out of reach for the cattle.  I'm probably going to have to raise the evacuated tubes as well.  To fence the entire property with four strands of barbed wire is about $17,000! The perimeter is about a mile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Insulate top wire, feed with some ladder line and a tuner, One mile NVIS loop. Cost justified.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#36]
88 days in AZ.

It's 5:45 PM,
Batteries fully charged,
Camp fire going,
Camper door open for fresh air,
Brats cooking.

What more can I ask for?

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]
88 days in AZ.

Batteries fully charged,
Camp fire going,
Brats cooking.

What more can I ask for?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282113/20170113-174908-125280.jpg
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
88 days in AZ.

Batteries fully charged,
Camp fire going,
Brats cooking.

What more can I ask for?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282113/20170113-174908-125280.jpg
View Quote

You're missing an ice storm in Saint Louis.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Fidel_Cashflow:

You're missing an ice storm in Saint Louis.
View Quote

Nope.  I'm not missing it in the least.  

It's 60 degrees here right now, partly sunny, no wind.  Light jacket weather.

Nope, not missing it at all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Great thread. Keep the updates coming!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

$17000!

I didn't charge enough in my younger years. I bet materials are less then $1500.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ARHank:

$17000!

I didn't charge enough in my younger years. I bet materials are less then $1500.
View Quote
For $17000, you could rent a tractor with loader to clear the line enough to have a clean path for the fence.  Biggest thing is doing good strong corner post setup and if needed mid line strong points.  Seems all the fences here in AZ are made to be rock hard tight and able to stop herd of Buffalo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HK_farmer:
For $17000, you could rent a tractor with loader to clear the line enough to have a clean path for the fence.  Biggest thing is doing good strong corner post setup and if needed mid line strong points.  Seems all the fences here in AZ are made to be rock hard tight and able to stop herd of Buffalo.
View Quote

$17,000 includes clearing the line, surveying property lines, and installation including three gates.  It would be four strands of barbed wire with separators between the posts.  It's a lot of money, but it is a mile of fence.  I've seen the fences that this company does and they're really well done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#44]

$17,000 includes clearing the line, surveying property lines, and installation including three gates.  It would be four strands of barbed wire with separators between the posts.  It's a lot of money, but it is a mile of fence.  I've seen the fences that this company does and they're really well done.
View Quote

I don't doubt you.  For that price I would expect nothing less.

I you got that solar fencer that was offered.  I'd start with just a simple ring of electric fence  around your main area.  Just remember to get a good ground rod and keep the ground around it wet, not swamp wet, but enough that the ground is damp.  I've had to fix more electric issues for bad grounds than I care to count.  Should be able to do that for just a couple hundred dollars. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HK_farmer:

I don't doubt you.  For that price I would expect nothing less.

I you got that solar fencer that was offered.  I'd start with just a simple ring of electric fence  around your main area.  Just remember to get a good ground rod and keep the ground around it wet, not swamp wet, but enough that the ground is damp.  I've had to fix more electric issues for bad grounds than I care to count.  Should be able to do that for just a couple hundred dollars. 
View Quote

Yes, I got the solar fencer.  I picked up wire, but I haven't gotten the posts yet.  Keeping ground damp would be a problem.  The ground is extremely porous and drains water quickly.  I've driven in a few 8' ground rods for the solar system, generator, and inverters and once driven in they can be pulled out easily with one hand.  Neighbors have recommended putting in three rods for the fence to get a good enough ground.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Good day for solar!  After three days of clouds and snow, the batteries were getting pretty low.  This morning was bright and sunny and I got net 840 watts going back into the batteries from the 1,000 watts of panels.  Not bad for a winter day.  It will take most of the day to get the batteries fully charged.  I'm wondering how much additional production I'm getting from the reflection from the snow.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I would not have much trouble living like that. Awesome setup. Your hard work appears to have paid off very well. Now, fer them damn cattle...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Did you retire....again?

What the heck are you getting done up there?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Did you retire....again?

What the heck are you getting done up there?
View Quote
The dream. He's living it
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Still here.  Not much going on for the next couple of months.  The ranch roads are much worse than I expected.  I haven't been able to get off the ranch for the last four days.  Life has settled into a routine.  My days are REALLY full.

Get up around 8:00 AM
Check e-mails, ARFCOM, FaceFlop
Play Freecell
Take morning nap
Wake up around 11:30 AM
Play Freecell
Have lunch
Play Freecell
Take afternoon nap
Wake up around 3:30
Play Freecell
Go hunting
Have dinner
Play Freecell
Play on ham radio
Go to bed around 10:00 PM
Get up to pee at least three times

REPEAT!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top