Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2016 12:42:28 AM EDT
2 years ago tomorrow, my grandfather passed away.  He was a pretty avid pilot.  Taught me how to fly in an old Ercoupe.  Can't count how many times we flew around the southwest in his Piper Cherokee.  Flew to San Diego several times with him, we even landed at Sky Harbor in his Cherokee!! He sold his plane back in '06 or so as medically he couldn't fly anymore.  I was really the only grandkid that showed interest in flying and went out of my way to go out with him.  

Anyhow, I found out today that he left me some money.  Well, in a way.  He didn't leave me cash, my grandma called me today and told me that he willed me funds to get a private pilots license.  Holy crap am I excited!!!  I've always always wanted to do it, but it seemed so out of reach.  I've been looking at schools all evening.  I don't know where to start.

If any of you guys know the ins and outs of this, what would you suggest?  Either Deer Valley airport or Scottsdale Airport are relatively close to me.  I don't have the time to do a fast track course, so this might take me 6 months or a year, but I'm just looking for any info you might have.  I did take ground school many years ago (like 2001, lol!) but could never afford to do more.  Hell, I don't know that I could even afford to fly very often if I DO get my license, but man it's always been a dream of mine.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry that your Grandpa is not around any more.. I wish mine were.  But that is a really neat thing he did for you!  It is a gift that will keep on giving and allowing your memories of him to continue on with you every time you fly.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That is awesome.  What a great grandpa.

For flight schools at SDL, you might check out Southwest Flight Center.  It's a small mom-and-pop type place, or at least it was when I was doing flight training years ago.

At DVT, you've got Westwind and TransPac.  They're both big schools that mostly do professional pilot programs (AKA "pilot mills"), but I think you could do a self-paced private at either one.  Due to the presence of both of these schools at DVT, the place is like a beehive, with airplanes playing the part of bees.  It might be a little intimidating to try and learn in such a busy environment.

If you don't mind the drive, Chandler Air Service has a real good reputation.

Before you do anything, go get a medical.  You'll want to make sure you qualify for a pilot medical before you spend a bunch of money on pilot training.  If you have any doubts about whether you'll pass (read the requirements first), don't go for the exam.  Instead, schedule a consultation (not an exam) with an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) to discuss your concerns.

The reason: If you take the medical exam and get denied, that closes the door to being a Sport Pilot.  You don't need a medical to be a Sport Pilot, as long as you haven't been denied or deferred on your most recent application.

David Bryman is a good AME.  I think he has an office at SDL.

Good luck with it!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the medical thatbig of a deal? I take no medications,have never had any health problems other than having my appendix out and a broken bone here and there.  My only "issue" is contacts
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The exam is not really a big deal.  Just your standard physical basically.  What usually trips people up are things like a history of DUIs, SSRI (antidepressant) use, ADD/ADHD, etc.  Any one of those can mean months of paperwork hell.

The vision requirements for a third-class medical are 20/40 in each eye separately, with or without correction.  Bring your contacts to the exam with you.  If you can read the 20/40 line without your contacts, then you won't have to get the "must wear corrective lenses" limitation on your medical.  The doc will also do a color blindness test.  

Before the day of the exam, you'll fill out all your forms online (medxpress.faa.gov).  You'll list any meds you're taking, doctor visits within the last three years, and answer a bunch of "have your ever had..." type questions.  It's pretty straightforward.  

Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any other questions.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
2 years ago tomorrow, my grandfather passed away.  He was a pretty avid pilot.  Taught me how to fly in an old Ercoupe.  Can't count how many times we flew around the southwest in his Piper Cherokee.  Flew to San Diego several times with him, we even landed at Sky Harbor in his Cherokee!! He sold his plane back in '06 or so as medically he couldn't fly anymore.  I was really the only grandkid that showed interest in flying and went out of my way to go out with him.  

Anyhow, I found out today that he left me some money.  Well, in a way.  He didn't leave me cash, my grandma called me today and told me that he willed me funds to get a private pilots license.  Holy crap am I excited!!!  I've always always wanted to do it, but it seemed so out of reach.  I've been looking at schools all evening.  I don't know where to start.

If any of you guys know the ins and outs of this, what would you suggest?  Either Deer Valley airport or Scottsdale Airport are relatively close to me.  I don't have the time to do a fast track course, so this might take me 6 months or a year, but I'm just looking for any info you might have.  I did take ground school many years ago (like 2001, lol!) but could never afford to do more.  Hell, I don't know that I could even afford to fly very often if I DO get my license, but man it's always been a dream of mine.

View Quote

Hey, i just moved to the neighborhood (Surprise) from across the country. I think I have an extra, brand new Jeppesen student pilot bag & study guide if you're going to commit to this, and would like it!

I got my private license about 6 years ago, lots of fun, but haven't been flying due to cost for most of it.  My grandpa was a Navy pilot, and the reason I took up lessons.  I had a LOT of sim time as a teen and a passion for aviation from an early age.  I pushed through my training as quick as I could - 3x or 4x per week, and I was licensed at the bare minimum requirement of hours.

Advice?

Written Exam:
The King Schools online course was great for me.  Complete it and study guide at your own pace.  Your instructor signs off when he acknowledges you're ready for the written.

Practical Training:
You need to set aside a regular schedule to build upon skills learned in previous lessons.  1x a week, 2x a week will be needed in order to actually get the time you need in to build the muscle memory, practical knowledge.  From here, your instructor will cut your tails, and let you know when you're ready for your practical.

Edit: The big schools aren't always best.  I found an instructor working his way to an airline ticket, and he and I knocked this out economically and quickly. You might do the same if you can make friends with a local CFI.  PM me if you want to get in depth!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on Southwest Flight Center at Scottsdale. I went to three different schools when I got my license,
and it's the only one that's been consistently run like a real business. The fact that it's been around
so long says a lot, and they take their aircraft maintenance seriously. When I bought a plane I had
SFC's mechanic look it over and he caught a couple major repair items that knocked about $4K off the
price (I let them do the repairs as well -- no surprises.)

In addition to the school you'll need to make sure you click with your instructor, I'd suggest asking
to fly with a few on an introductory basis to get a feel for their style. There's a lot of kids on the
airline track that IMO aren't the best choice. Retired military guys or older guys committed to doing
general aviation instruction are where it's at, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it!  You'll LOVE it!

I got my private pilot license in Prescott back in 1979 and it has been a blast ever since!

I can't help with training FBO's in the "valley" but I'm sure some here can help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a helicopter guy, but can heartily recommend going for it, as you'll never regret it (though your wallet might, eventually)!

I can also recommend Bryman, though he and Raniolo (his partner) focus more on special issuance medicals, etc. Call their office and ask, both are great guys. I have an SI due to sleep apnea and thyroid meds, but as long as you keep things in line, there's no issue. You sound fit as a fiddle, but I do suggest going over the requirements for a medical first, just to be sure. The process of ruling out medical crap is a real PITA (ask me how I know). A consultation is a great way to get acquainted with the process and what all is involved, so starting there may be good. With 3rd class medical reform now a reality, you may even consider waiting a year or so to let the laws get finalized, as the new 3rd class medical is essentially similar to a sport pilot license, from what I understand. You self-certify, and then just need a note from a PCP and have to take some on-line training once every two years. More freedoms than an SPL, with similar medical requirements. Something to consider there.

As for flight schools, Chandler Air Service is excellent, though a bit of a drive. I have no experience with either DVT or SDL, other than landing at them once during a night XC flight. While DVT is VERY busy, if you learn there than flying just about anywhere else will be a cake walk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
"signed up" at Southwest Flight Center today.  First lesson next week.  

For you guys that have done a 3rd class medical, a couple questions.  It says I need to bring any records of hospitalization, surgery, etc with me.  The only recent thing was a vasectomy last October.  Before that was an appendectomy and a tonisilectomy round about 1989.  I don't even know how I'd go about getting records from when I was 12.  Do I need to worry about that or what?  Or is childhood stuff like that no deal?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For you guys that have done a 3rd class medical, a couple questions.  It says I need to bring any records of hospitalization, surgery, etc with me.  The only recent thing was a vasectomy last October.  Before that was an appendectomy and a tonisilectomy round about 1989.  I don't even know how I'd go about getting records from when I was 12.  Do I need to worry about that or what?  Or is childhood stuff like that no deal?
View Quote

I'd say don't worry about it, but call the AME and ask if it really worries you. I had foot surgery in 2011 after having my left foot get crushed at work (long story), and didn't have to bring anything about it with me. The medical form specifically states to report visits from the last three years. If it's outside the three year period, then don't ask, don't tell is what you'll hear a lot of from pilots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd say don't worry about it, but call the AME and ask if it really worries you. I had foot surgery in 2011 after having my left foot get crushed at work (long story), and didn't have to bring anything about it with me. The medical form specifically states to report visits from the last three years. If it's outside the three year period, then don't ask, don't tell is what you'll hear a lot of from pilots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I'm understanding, lol.  I think I'm going to go for a consultation first, just to get the worry gone.  I KNOW I can pass a physical without issue, but man - one and done (or lots of $) scares me a little.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I'm understanding, lol.  I think I'm going to go for a consultation first, just to get the worry gone.  I KNOW I can pass a physical without issue, but man - one and done (or lots of $) scares me a little.
View Quote

Totally understandable. I wish I'd done the same thing when I took my first physical back in 2008, but I had no idea back then. Live and learn!

Either way, welcome aboard! You're in for one helluva ride!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't worry about that stuff at all.

Unless you end up with a crotchety old flight physician, all you have to do is be able to do is breath, hear, see, and have a decent blood pressure.

And honestly, in a short time all you will need is your drivers license because Zero signed the medical reform....

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Unless you end up with a crotchety old flight physician, all you have to do is be able to do is breath, hear, see, and have a decent blood pressure.
And honestly, in a short time all you will need is your drivers license because Zero signed the medical reform....
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/15/medical-reform-becomes-law

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/15/medical-reform-becomes-law

Since I've never had a flight medical, it reads like I will indeed have to have one.  But, once you get it, you never have to do it again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Since I've never had a flight medical, it reads like I will indeed have to have one.  But, once you get it, you never have to do it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you'll have to go through it at least once - but it's no big deal.

Just make sure your BP is in check, that's one of the big ones.

As long as you aren't on any prohibited meds (most BP meds aren't prohibited) you'll be OK.

My doc checks me for visual, hearing, blood pressure, color blindness, and minor other stuff - no big deal.

Heck, I have friends with pace makers and only one eye that still get medicals...

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Minor surgeries from long ago are no big deal.  Just make sure you list them on the app.  Specifically, box 18u (admission to hospital) and 18x (surgery).  You won't need any records.

The thing with FAA medicals is that they are either ridiculously easy or ridiculously difficult to get.  There's no middle ground.  And, as you mentioned, you only get one chance to do it right.

It sounds like you'll be in the "easy" camp, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Still, I would get a consult just to make sure.  Think of it as a "dry run" for the real thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Haha, perfect!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Haha, perfect!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Haha, perfect!

Whaaaa?!? it is a trainer!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, perfect!

I heard learning on a tailwheel is the way to go.  I think I'm going to make an offer on this.  My CFI would love it, I think.

Good plane for new pilots
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I heard learning on a tailwheel is the way to go.  I think I'm going to make an offer on this.  My CFI would love it, I think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, perfect!

Even better! It's here in Chandler, so you won't even need to have it ferried here!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#22]
HI,

I'm from Belgium.

Eleven years ago I had my Airline Pilot Training in Arizona.
At that time, school was Sabena Airline Training Center based in Scottsdale.
Now it's part of CAE at Falcon Field.
I had really good time flying in Arizona.
We were groups of 10 Belgian Students flying around.
Training was extensive and we had about 250 Hrs, including Sim in 6 months.

This is why I fell in loove with AZ and I come back so ofthen.

You'll see, AZ is so nice, specially in April.

Enjoy your training.
It's worth it!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm just finishing my training.  Its a blast.  If you can handle flying the Phoenix Class B you'll be able to fly anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Man, I'm not having very good luck with Southwest Flight Center.

I visited them about 2 weeks ago and filled out paperwork.  I was supposed to get a call back the next day for scheduling.  I waited a couple days and heard nothing.  Called them last Tuesday.  Said someone would call me.  Guy called me Thursday morning and said "I'll call you early next week and get you started".  I still haven't heard a word.  

Do they not want money?    Is this typical of flight schools?  

This is pretty much the school I chose based on aircraft available and location.  The other 2 flight schools at SDL aren't really my speed.  One is a big corporate outfit, the other only flies SR-22's at $280 an hour dry.  No thanks, lol.  DVT is busy, ramp times can be excessive or so I've been told.  There is at least one school at GEU, but it's really out of the way for me.  Chandler or Mesa is just too far for consistent lessons.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I visited them about 2 weeks ago and filled out paperwork.  I was supposed to get a call back the next day for scheduling.  I waited a couple days and heard nothing.  Called them last Tuesday.  Said someone would call me.  Guy called me Thursday morning and said "I'll call you early next week and get you started".  I still haven't heard a word.  

This is pretty much the school I chose based on aircraft available and location.  The other 2 flight schools at SDL aren't really my speed.  One is a big corporate outfit, the other only flies SR-22's at $280 an hour dry.  No thanks, lol.  DVT is busy, ramp times can be excessive or so I've been told.  There is at least one school at GEU, but it's really out of the way for me.  Chandler or Mesa is just too far for consistent lessons.
View Quote
Damn, that sucks.

But if SFC will work for you then don't give up - remember a couple of months ago you didn't even have this first world problem....
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.  

But if SFC will work for you then don't give up - remember a couple of months ago you didn't even have this first world problem....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks.  

True.  I'm dove hunting after work tomorrow with a buddy, but Friday I'm going over there and getting this straightened out. I'm ready to fly darnit!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy crap, $280/ dry! At those prices, you might as well learn to fly a helicopter, it would actually be cheaper at $295/hr wet for dual time!

Keep at it, it'll work out for you, and it's totally worth it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Holy crap, $280/ dry! At those prices, you might as well learn to fly a helicopter, it would actually be cheaper at $295/hr wet for dual time!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you could go with the $299/hr dry.  "2011 CIRRUS SR22 Turbo CFLFW - $299/Hr "  

And that's with no instructor.  So it's probably closer to $400 an hour after fuel and instructor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't understand why ADD/ADHD is such a problem for so many things.

If you actually have it and just aren't in it for the drugs it really hinders concentration. The drugs are incredibly effective. Incredibly. At least in my case. When I took them it was the most productive/best time of my work life. Even projects/regular work around the house got done effectively.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or, you could go with the $299/hr dry.  "2011 CIRRUS SR22 Turbo CFLFW - $299/Hr "  

And that's with no instructor.  So it's probably closer to $400 an hour after fuel and instructor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I've been complaining about $185 wet with an instructor down here in Tucson.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't understand why ADD/ADHD is such a problem for so many things.

If you actually have it and just aren't in it for the drugs it really hinders concentration. The drugs are incredibly effective. Incredibly. At least in my case. When I took them it was the most productive/best time of my work life. Even projects/regular work around the house got done effectively.
View Quote

Uh....  Maybe you need more of those drugs.  

Just giving you a hard time, guessing you posted in the wrong thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Trekked over there this afternoon.   Scheduled for my first lesson Sunday at 9am!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
If you decide you are going to stick with it, get yourself a GoPro, audio input cable, and a suction cup mount.  Being able to go back and review radio calls and advice from your instructor is a massive  help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#34]
First flight done!!!

Took me a second to get the taxiing down.  I was trying to use only the rudder to turn. CFI had to take over for a sec.  I guess you're supposed to toe the brakes to make turns when you're on the ground moving 3 miles an hour. We taxied all the way from one end of the runway to the other to get to our takeoff point, I had it down pretty good by then.  

I pretty much flew the whole thing.  He just shadowed me on the controls.  It all came back pretty quick.  He told me to trim the plane once we got up and I was looking for the trim on the roof.  It's not there on a Cessna.  I flew so much in a Cherokee I just *knew* it was on the roof, even though he already showed me where it was on the pedestal when were doing our pre-flight checks.

It was so much fun.  I'm still grinning.  We flew for about an hour (.9 in the logbook) but it felt like we were in the air for about 3 minutes.  He was pretty happy with my turns. I kept them level  and coordinated.  He asked if I was intentionally using the rudder in the turns and I told him yes, it was intentional.  For a second I thought I might have been doing it wrong, but he said he was just surprised I knew to do that on my own.  He knew I had been in GA planes before, but I think he was kinda surprised that I actually kinda know how to fly.    I've "flown" an airplane alot.  I've just never been in control on the ground, at takeoff, or landing.  

I can't wait to do it again!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#35]
That's what we like to see! Congrats on your first "official" .9 hours of flight!
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#36]
So... Flight #2 didn't go that well.  Or at all.    I got lots of taxi practice though!

I did the pre-flight, fired up the plane, called ground and got clearance to taxi.  Taxied to the run-up area and began the pre-takeoff runup and checks.  Got to the magneto checks.  Switched from both to left and the engine quit.  Hmmm.  I don't think that's supposed to happen.  

CFI took over and restarted the engine.  He tried some plug fouling procedures but no matter what he did, when I switched to the left mag, the motor would lose a little power and stumble for a second then quit.  So, I got to learn how to call ground and return to the tiedown.  

I guess there's a reason for all those pre-flight checks after all!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep that's why you check.  The last few times I was up with an instructor I pointed out that putting carb heat on wasn't causing a drop in RPM like it should.  It was down for maintenance this week and they determined that the carb heat had been stuck in the on position for who knows how long.  I swear sometimes I'm the only one that does a thorough preflight or run up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yep that's why you check.  The last few times I was up with an instructor I pointed out that putting carb heat on wasn't causing a drop in RPM like it should.  It was down for maintenance this week and they determined that the carb heat had been stuck in the on position for who knows how long.  I swear sometimes I'm the only one that does a thorough preflight or run up.
View Quote

I was down there this morning flying some more (added 1.7 to the logbook!!) and asked.  The left magneto was indeed bad.  I think he said they replaced both.

On another note, I aced my 3rd class medical!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I was down there this morning flying some more (added 1.7 to the logbook!!) and asked.  The left magneto was indeed bad.  I think he said they replaced both.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good job!

Stick with it, even in the end if you decide it costs too much to continue flying - once you have the pilot license it's yours for life!

Here's a picture of me back in 1979 at the Prescott airport after my first solo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top