Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably.

So, things went slightly pear-shaped in that my in-laws will be moving in with us at some point due to their age and the fact that they just can't deal with snow any longer. It was my idea, so I'm not complaining, but it did toss a wrench into the home search...

Wife and I have been looking in Cave Creek, Carefree, Queen Creek, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Chandler, and Gilbert.

We're looking for something with some views besides our neighbor's house, 4,500 SF or larger, 3-4 car garage, no basement, and a casita for the in-laws (bedroom, kitchenette/living room, and bathroom). Oh, and it needs to have a pool.

We started looking in the $450K's, and suddenly found ourselves in the $900K range, which causes a pucker factor that goes off the charts. I make good money, but not THAT good!

And anyone who has never tried Freddy's steakburgers, fries, and frozen custard has no clue what a good hamburger is.
View Quote

Cave Creek, Carefree, and North Scottsdale are great areas, I work right where they all kind of meet. It can be a bit expensive, but the neighborhoods are very nice, and chances are, you won't have a ton of neighbors for half the year.

What you're looking for in a house is going to be pretty expensive almost anywhere in the valley with few exceptions.

Have you looked towards Rio Verde?

ETA: Paradise Valley Burger Co. makes a better burger than anywhere I've been in many years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I can name well over a dozen better local burger joints than In N Out in town. All are walk in, and higher priced/restaurant priced.

I'll once again say, name a better cheap local "fast food" burger. That's all I was pointing out. Someone named McDonald's, and I was just conveying that no human should be consuming McDonald's in an area where In N Out exists.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can name well over a dozen better local burger joints than In N Out in town. All are walk in, and higher priced/restaurant priced.

I'll once again say, name a better cheap local "fast food" burger. That's all I was pointing out. Someone named McDonald's, and I was just conveying that no human should be consuming McDonald's in an area where In N Out exists.
View Quote

We can agree that McDonald's is reprocessed sewage...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd hope so.

I honestly am curious and asking though. If In N Out is "overrated" for a cheap fast food burger, I'd love to go somewhere that could top it. I can get an animal style double double for less than $4 bucks after tax from In N Out. That's an insane sub $4 dollar burger. If there's a spot I've missed, I'd love to check it out.

In other news, I just finished up an "after the hike" burger upgraded to their local grass fed patty at AZ Wilderness brewery. Damn, that was good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd hope so.

I honestly am curious and asking though. If In N Out is "overrated" for a cheap fast food burger, I'd love to go somewhere that could top it. I can get an animal style double double for less than $4 bucks after tax from In N Out. That's an insane sub $4 dollar burger. If there's a spot I've missed, I'd love to check it out.

In other news, I just finished up an "after the hike" burger upgraded to their local grass fed patty at AZ Wilderness brewery. Damn, that was good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd hope so.

Head to PV Burger and pick anything off the menu that tickles your fancy, add a side of French Toast Fries.
You won't regret it... unless you plan on heading to the gym after...then you'll certainly question your decision making...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the best "cheap" better quality burger is from "The Habit" in Phoenix Metro area. Its better than In and Out

burger, side and drink all under 10 bucks.  Thats about as good as it gets for lunch in PHX if you can keep it under a ten spot.

Go to the Habit on 7th ave and Thomas on a weekday, half the customers are County and PHX PD.  Its not expensive and edible if all the cops eat there, and state employee's like myself.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the best "cheap" better quality burger is from "The Habit" in Phoenix Metro area. Its better than In and Out

burger, side and drink all under 10 bucks.  Thats about as good as it gets for lunch in PHX if you can keep it under a ten spot.

Go to the Habit on 7th ave and Thomas on a weekday, half the customers are County and PHX PD.  Its not expensive and edible if all the cops eat there, and state employee's like myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm definitely gonna head in there and give them a try (PV Burger as well).

I could talk good burgers all day. Though, I still think my initial comments and point ring through. The Habit does not have a drive thru window, and even the most expensive combo meal (double double combo) at In N Out is sub $6 bucks. I frankly don't think anyone can name a better true "fast food" burger in general. And certainly not a better burger at a similar price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could talk good burgers all day. Though, I still think my initial comments and point ring through. The Habit does not have a drive thru window, and even the most expensive combo meal (double double combo) at In N Out is sub $6 bucks. I frankly don't think anyone can name a better true "fast food" burger in general. And certainly not a better burger at a similar price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True for sure, no drive through.  I do like In and Out, and if I can't sit down to eat then I would take them over Habit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
So the OP is moving here for the burgers?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you think of a better reason?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]

You got me there... Q's is legitimately awesome.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
We do have some great food in AZ, BBQ & Mexican are at the top of my list. I do miss the variety of ethnic restaurants/food stores that the north east has but the freedom here makes everything taste better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobby Q's is Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bobby Q's is Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobby Q's is Awesome!

Best BBQ I have ever had in Arizona

Little Miss BBQ

Try it if you get near the place and there isn't a long line.

Amazing
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Little Miss BBQ

Amazing
View Quote

Nothing else compares. They win every local BBQ award for a reason.

Lines can be crazy there though. And on some days, they'll already be sold out of certain menu items depending on what time of day you get there.

Only BBQ joint I ever go to. Either do it myself at home, or go there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Little Miss BBQ

Amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobby Q's is Awesome!

Little Miss BBQ

Amazing

Must show up early.. like before they open early, there will be a line.  Short ribs are fri-sat only.  

This is the closet thing to being in Austin in the area.  I still have not been because I do not have the time to dedicate to it... but am relaying what people I know have said.. funny thing is I have had bbq in Austin a few times lol.  Blacks FTW!

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Must show up early.. like before they open early, there will be a line.  Short ribs are fri-sat only.  

This is the closet thing to being in Austin in the area.  I still have not been because I do not have the time to dedicate to it... but am relaying what people I know have said.. funny thing is I have had bbq in Austin a few times lol.  Blacks FTW!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/29746018454_006e8dd04d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8132/29746019334_89d6eb966c_h.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobby Q's is Awesome!

Little Miss BBQ

Amazing

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/29746018454_006e8dd04d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8132/29746019334_89d6eb966c_h.jpg

I'm glad I am not the only one that loves this place.

I just normally order in advance,  then you can waltz in and pick it up with no lines.

You have to order a week before hand.

Just wait until you have enough people coming over for a weekend, place the order ahead of time and no waiting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahem...

NEIGHBORHOODS, people! NEIGHBORHOODS!

Which ones to definitely look in or definitely to avoid.

And no, having a good or bad burger place in them is not a valid criterion.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The burgers are a lot better in Texas, Colorado and Nevada.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
PM sent
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ahem...

Thanks.
View Quote

You are moving here at the highest market $$$ since the collapse.

You need to adjust your budget or your needs/wants list to get a real response.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahem...

Thanks.

This.

The 2,900 square foot house with a really tight/tiny 2 car garage right across the street from me just sold for $500k this month. Pretty small yard too. No pool. No casita.

We're right on the Tempe/Scottsdale border with views of Papago. A lot of the areas you're focusing on will cost around as much per square foot as my area. So no surprise you're finding you need more like $900k or more to get what you're looking for.

$450k will not get you 4500 square feet, a 3-4 car garage, pool, views, casita, etc in the nicer parts of the east valley. Your best bet is extending your search into east Mesa. You get more for your money square footage wise over there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Four Peaks and OHSO are the other two spots that put out really good food (OHSO in particular may even have the best burger in town. It's certainly up there.). .
View Quote

Best burger is right down the street at the Sushi Broker, of all places.

The Vig has some great food.

Welcome, Zaphod!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Moved here 2 years ago and never looked back.
The good
-Rio Salado sports mans is awesome as a range.
-Migrate to Scottsdale gun club when it gets too hot.
-Brewery's here are awesome. Just yelp brewery and start working your way through.
-living is cheap.
-tubing on the salt river is awesome.
-Day/overnight trips to Flagstaff are very relaxing.
-Wilderness here is a great getaway.

The Bad
-Tempe and Mesa is tweakerville
-Property crime is a HUGE thing here. Be sure to mount your gun safe to a concert pad. The Mexicans send teenage gang members into houses looking for guns and valuables to transport back to Mexico. And the tweakers have moving trucks and cutting torches.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

HOA's seem to be a way of life.  If your an outdoor type of guy, finding a house with a large garage or multiple garage bays is key in my opinion.  A house with some sort of carport in addition to the garage would be even better.  With the HOA's your going to have to keep your stuff inside.
View Quote

First rule I tell my realtor, "the first place with a HOA you show me is the last place because your ass is fired."

Seriously, we have enough damn government as it is, why would I ask for more on purpose.   Avoiding them normally means smaller builders in the county islands, but I hate places where every house looks the same anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not a fan of HOA's, but I've lived in a few without issues.

If I can avoid them, I certainly will.

That said, WTF is with this talk of Arizona going PURPLE? I finally get my fat ass down here, and you assholes are going PURPLE?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That said, WTF is with this talk of Arizona going PURPLE? I finally get my fat ass down here, and you assholes are going PURPLE?
View Quote
Snowbirds who vote.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That seems WAY too high for a 1200 SF house. Consider having your units serviced and having an energy audit done on your house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the month of July with 1200 SF, no east or west facing Windows, thermo set at 76, it was $220.

Quoted:
How much was the electric bill?

That seems WAY too high for a 1200 SF house. Consider having your units serviced and having an energy audit done on your house.

My apartment, third floor, last summer when we moved here and weren't adjusted to the heat, I was paying $290. 1200sq. Thermostat at 73.

This summer we put it at 78 during the day and 77 at night. Highest was $260. Our apartment, like most, is built like shit though.

We are going to rent a house next summer when the lease is up. Eveuntislly we will buy and I don't care what I have to do, it won't be in a HOA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Another place that I'm a fan of is Montauk.  I'm a fan of the food and drinks as well as the talent that strolls through.
View Quote

We went to that place for breakfast and they were blasting music like it was a club. At breakfast. Horrible. The food was good though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part influx from other states, mostly just a GOP candidate that sucks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ahem...

Thanks.
View Quote

You'll be good in the places people listed as far as good neighborhoods.

What you need to figure out is what you like. Do you like 17 Walmarts within 5 miles from you? Do you like big intersections every half of a mile that makes driving three miles for a small errand a half day event?  Do you like putting up with people who think the world revolves around them (I've been told it's the Mormons and there are a lot if them here in Gilbert)?

If you like all of that go to Gilbert.

Do you like nice stuff, lots of options but expensive and lots of traffic?  Scottsdale

Do you like more of the traditional desert scene, less traffic, but a tad farther away from stuff?  North Phoenix.

FWIW, my wife and I can't wait to get out of Gilbert. We will be moving to North Phoenix asap. We go into Scottsdale a lot but it's about the same distance as Gilbert just from the north instead of coming from the south.

Did I forget to mention how annoying Gilbert is?  Chandler too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I started driving Uber for a couple of extra bucks. I can't tell you how many assholes I pick up that tell me they are from California and moved because it got to expensive. Every time I have to bite my tongue. I want to turn around and say "you mean you created that with how you vote and haven't learned your lessen and are bringing your shitty voting habits here"

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Snowbirds who vote.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowbirds who vote.

In 2014 Independant overtook Republican as the most picked party preference in Arizona...
AZ and many other solid Red states are 'purple' right now because the Republican party nominated a horrible candidate. I'll vote for the Orange haired buffoon, but only because I refuse to be party to letting Hillary pick the next SCOTUS judges.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In 2014 Independant overtook Republican as the most picked party preference in Arizona...
AZ and many other solid Red states are 'purple' right now because the Republican party nominated a horrible candidate. I'll vote for the Orange haired buffoon, but only because I refuse to be party to letting Hillary pick the next SCOTUS judges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowbirds who vote.

The AZ GOP in my opinion is a huge part of why Independent registration overtook Republican.  I absolutely despise the Republican party in this state, which is why I am a registered (I).  As far as Trump goes, you obviously have an opinion, but I completely disagree with your assessment.  This will be my fifth vote in a POTUS election and this is the first time I am voting for someone rather than against the Democrat.  I held my nose and voted W. Bush, because he was slightly better than Gore and Kerry.  I voted McCain despite the nauseous feeling, because Obama scared me and I begrudgingly voted for Romney because I couldn't take four more years of Obama.  In my opinion all 3 of these candidates sucked, but I held the party line to stop the Democrats.  Same thing here in Senate and House races.  The last two terms, I swore I was going to vote against McCain in the primary and the general.  Each time the Dems nominated someone so awful that I couldn't justify a vote for them, so I filled the bubble in for McCain.  Back to Trump, he is running against a machine that has been planning for this race for over 20 years and are absolutely willing to play dirty, real dirty, to win.  Not to mention, he is doing it without much support from others in the GOP.  On top of that, the media and likely the pollsters have an agenda and they are pushing it as far and as hard as it will go.  Regardless of the election's outcome, the Republican Party needs to do a lot of reflection and determine who the party plans to represent.  Outside of Trump and a few local politicians, I do not feel that the party represents me any better than the Democrats do and that might be a real problem for the GOP if the millions of other voters who backed Trump feel the same way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cave Creek, Carefree, and North Scottsdale are great areas, I work right where they all kind of meet. It can be a bit expensive, but the neighborhoods are very nice, and chances are, you won't have a ton of neighbors for half the year.
View Quote

I live a little bit west of that in Desert Hills (North Phoenix). Excellent neighborhoods with better opportunities for acreage, and one's money will go a lot further toward getting a nicer house. Few houses have pools, however, so that will need to be factored in.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The AZ GOP in my opinion is a huge part of why Independent registration overtook Republican.  I absolutely despise the Republican party in this state, which is why I am a registered (I).  As far as Trump goes, you obviously have an opinion, but I completely disagree with your assessment.  This will be my fifth vote in a POTUS election and this is the first time I am voting for someone rather than against the Democrat.  I held my nose and voted W. Bush, because he was slightly better than Gore and Kerry.  I voted McCain despite the nauseous feeling, because Obama scared me and I begrudgingly voted for Romney because I couldn't take four more years of Obama.  In my opinion all 3 of these candidates sucked, but I held the party line to stop the Democrats.  Same thing here in Senate and House races.  The last two terms, I swore I was going to vote against McCain in the primary and the general.  Each time the Dems nominated someone so awful that I couldn't justify a vote for them, so I filled the bubble in for McCain.  Back to Trump, he is running against a machine that has been planning for this race for over 20 years and are absolutely willing to play dirty, real dirty, to win.  Not to mention, he is doing it without much support from others in the GOP.  On top of that, the media and likely the pollsters have an agenda and they are pushing it as far and as hard as it will go.  Regardless of the election's outcome, the Republican Party needs to do a lot of reflection and determine who the party plans to represent.  Outside of Trump and a few local politicians, I do not feel that the party represents me any better than the Democrats do and that might be a real problem for the GOP if the millions of other voters who backed Trump feel the same way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowbirds who vote.

Completely agree.

I continue to be baffled by "conservatives" in today's America that don't think Trump is on point when it comes to our typical greatest interests.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Spousal Unit and I spent four whirlwind days in Phoenix last week. We've narrowed it down to Cave Creek, Carefree, and North Scottsdale, all above 101.

Expensive as hell, but worth it.

Two more Trump/Conservative voters moving in soon!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Spousal Unit and I spent four whirlwind days in Phoenix last week. We've narrowed it down to Cave Creek, Carefree, and North Scottsdale, all above 101.

View Quote

Definitely one of the best parts of the valley. Nice!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you get a chance to see Bartlett lake?
Great place to go fishing/boating/camping and close to Cave Creek.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I know about it now!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have chosen.......wisely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

And yep. Bartlett Lake is awesome. You'll have close proximity to it in those areas you've narrowed yourself down to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Sticker shock is still killing me, but that's life.

My in-laws will be joining us in the next 1-2 years as well, so we have to buy big.

They're Conservatives, too.

But yes, I'm very excited about it.

Now I just need my house in MN to sell already.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Probably.

So, things went slightly pear-shaped in that my in-laws will be moving in with us at some point due to their age and the fact that they just can't deal with snow any longer. It was my idea, so I'm not complaining, but it did toss a wrench into the home search...

Wife and I have been looking in Cave Creek, Carefree, Queen Creek, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Chandler, and Gilbert.

We're looking for something with some views besides our neighbor's house, 4,500 SF or larger, 3-4 car garage, no basement, and a casita for the in-laws (bedroom, kitchenette/living room, and bathroom). Oh, and it needs to have a pool.

We started looking in the $450K's, and suddenly found ourselves in the $900K range, which causes a pucker factor that goes off the charts. I make good money, but not THAT good!

And anyone who has never tried Freddy's steakburgers, fries, and frozen custard has no clue what a good hamburger is.
View Quote

Cave Creek, Carefree Scottsdale, Fountain Hills  GOOD CHOICES

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top