Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2016 10:13:39 PM EDT
Here are the practical long-gun events we have scheduled this month at Rio Salado:

Tactical .22 Rifle Match: Tuesday August 9th & 23rd
Registration opens at 4pm, with first shots shortly thereafter. Location is the Smallbore Range right behind the Activity Center. The rules are simple: it's a straight time match with penalties for misses. Pretty much any .22 rifle is OK - the most popular guns are AR15-clones and Ruger 10/22s. We have two divisions: iron sight and optical sight. Our typical match format is one "long range" stage out to 100yards, and two or three shorter range hoser stages. Check out this trailer and this Dillon Blue Press article for a flavor of what we do. This match is more fun than a barrel of monkeys... bring a bulk pack of cheap ammo (if you can find any) and you will leave with a smile a mile wide.

3-Gun (Multi-Gun) Match: Saturday August 13th - PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Sign-in on Saturday runs 7am-8am, with first shots at 7am. New shooters should come in time to attend the New Shooter Orientation at 7:30am before they shoot. To get a feel for what to expect, check out these videos from our previous matches. Our usual format is 3 short-range rifle, shotgun and/or pistol stages, plus 1 long-range rifle stage. Bring 150 rounds of rifle ammo, 50 shotgun birdshot (#6 or smaller), and 50 rounds of pistol ammo.

To facilitate efficient shooter registration, we want everyone to pre-register for the match. Online registration will open at 3pm on Tuesday July 5th at the Practiscore website. When you arrive on match day, come to the stat shack and pay your match fee as usual, then simply go and shoot - your info will already be in the iPads. Even if you are not 100% sure of making it, it is better to pre-register. Those who do not pre-register will have to wait at the back of the line until everyone else who did pre-register is processed.

We are fortunate to have THREE very generous sponsors for our monthly match: Carbon Arms sponsors one of the shotgun stages, provides "loaner" shotshell caddies for competitors to try, and they donate a $100 gift certificate. VLTOR sponsors a CQB rifle stage, and they donate TWO of their excellent AR15 rifle stocks. LUTH-AR sponsors a long-range rifle stage, and they donate one of their fine MBA-series rifle stocks. All prizes are distributed by random draw from the list of competitor who finish the match. With typical attendance around 75 shooters, your odds of winning something nice are pretty good.

Tactical Shotgun and Pistol Caliber Carbine Match: Thursday August 18th
Registration starts at 4pm, with a new shooter orientation shortly thereafter. The match format is four practical scenario-based stages similar to what you would encounter at a 3-Gun match, except that you only need to bring one gun - you choose either shotgun or pistol caliber carbine. There will be separate divisions for shotgun (Open, Limited and Pump), centerfire carbine (Optic and Iron) and .22 rimfire carbine (Optic and Iron). Any tactical shotgun suitable for 3-gun competition will work well in this match, or you can shoot a pistol caliber carbine (straight walled pistol calibers only please) or even a .22LR rifle. Check out the match rules for more details.

Red Mountain Action Rifle Match: Sunday August 21st
Registration opens at 12:30pm. This is a rifle-only match run over the same course of fire as the morning pistol match; maximum 60 yards, high-speed/low-drag, four run-n-gun stages. To see what a typical match setup looks like, view this YouTube video. The equipment divisions accommodate iron and optical sights, rimfire rifle, centerfire rifle and pistol caliber carbine. Bring 150 rounds of ammo and a quick set of legs.

UPPL Steel Challenge: Saturday August 27th
Sign-in 7am-8am, with first shots at 7am. Each month the UPPL crew select four of the eight Steel Challenge stages. The emphasis of this match is speed, with little or no movement. While it is primarily a handgun discipline, the UPPL match also recognizes several rifle divisions: Open Rimfire Rifle, Limited Rimfire Rifle, Open Pistol Caliber Carbine and Limited Pistol Caliber Carbine. Pre-registration via PractiScore is required after 3pm on the preceding Tuesday. If you fancy trying something new with your rimfire rifle or PCC, come and check it out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Had an awesome time at today's 3-gun. Started at 7:15 and was done by 9:30! You guys know how to run an efficient match!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to go get my ass kicked this thurs with my shotgun.

If I showed up right at 4, how long does the entire match take? Is it appropriate to budget in time to help break down?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My question as well, more than happy to help with any setup/break down if necessary.

I'm new to the area and have successfully 'settled in' and am looking to get the heck out of the apartment and meet some folks.  After previous stints in Philadelphia and NYC, it has been FAR too long since I cracked open the safe... I have also been anxious to pull out the SBR!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I showed up right at 4, how long does the entire match take? Is it appropriate to budget in time to help break down?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to the shotgun match last night and it was a good time. Everyone was really cool and patient with showing me the ropes. I'm looking forward to adjusting my equipment and going again next month.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to be tardy with the answer. As you guys probably found out, the Tactical Shotgun-Pistol Caliber Carbine match can be done in less than 2 hours (I was in and out within 90 minutes last night).

If you liked the TS-PCC match, you will LOVE the Red Mountain Action Rifle match on Sunday 12:30pm. Just bring your rimfire, pistol caliber or centerfire rifle, about 200 rounds of ammo, and a good safe attitude... TOO MUCH FUN.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be out there at 1230 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a good time. It's definitely a kick in the balls with regard to speed and accuracy. I'll be doing both shoots again next month.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My question as well, more than happy to help with any setup/break down if necessary.

I'm new to the area and have successfully 'settled in' and am looking to get the heck out of the apartment and meet some folks.  After previous stints in Philadelphia and NYC, it has been FAR too long since I cracked open the safe... I have also been anxious to pull out the SBR!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Philly??
You escaped too??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top