Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 12:47:49 PM EDT
I'm thinking we have enough people in and around the valley with licenses, or curious people with baofengs that we could probably get something forum related organized, or if anything just get an idea of who's out there.

Northlink, Rimlink and metrolink covers a huge part of the state for 2m/70cm. We have that going for us.

The goal is to find out who is out there, who is interested in getting licensed, setting up some rough "meet" times and freqs, and seeing what kind of participation there is.

I'd like to see more practical types of ( forum related) issues addressed and practiced, not the typical "who is your favorite actress, what did you eat for breakfast, or where were you when Abe Lincoln was shot" type round-tables.

Anyone interested? Would you be interested in an informal or formal get together or net?

Info wise:
W7ARA repeater list
W7ARA repeater locations
W7ARA net events

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had my license for a while now, but need to get a radio.  I sold my hand held a while ago with intentions on upgrading, but life happened and the $$ was used for bills instead.

I'd be very interested in getting back into it and maybe this will give me an excuse to at least buy a new handheld and eventually a unit for my car.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Have had my license for many years.  Have 2 meter radios in both vehicles, camper, and house.  Hf in house and camper.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm thinking we have enough people in and around the valley with licenses, or curious people with baofengs that we could probably get something forum related organized, or if anything just get an idea of who's out there.

Northlink, Rimlink and metrolink covers a huge part of the state for 2m/70cm. We have that going for us.

The goal is to find out who is out there, who is interested in getting licensed, setting up some rough "meet" times and freqs, and seeing what kind of participation there is.

I'd like to see more practical types of ( forum related) issues addressed and practiced, not the typical "who is your favorite actress, what did you eat for breakfast, or where were you when Abe Lincoln was shot" type round-tables.

Anyone interested? Would you be interested in an informal or formal get together or net?

Info wise:
W7ARA repeater list
W7ARA repeater locations
W7ARA net events

View Quote

What exactly is a practical type of discussion?  Laws, weapons, politics?  Do people even talk on ham radio anymore?  Last time I scanned the band it was dead dead dead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What exactly is a practical type of discussion?  Laws, weapons, politics?  Do people even talk on ham radio anymore?  Last time I scanned the band it was dead dead dead.
View Quote

Which band?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Which band?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which band?

2 meters, 440.  Hell I don't even hear much on HF.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which band?

In the valley today..
442.900 was a graveyard from 0600-1100
446.600 WIN system link has been dead all day.
RIMLINK will be especially dead tonight from 2100-2200 streaming dead air

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have my General ticket. Only have VHF/ UHF capability at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

RIMLINK will be especially dead tonight from 2100-2200 streaming dead air

View Quote

lol.

I'm not much of a talker but I usually monitor the 2100 net once a week for about 15 minutes to remind myself
to not be a talker. Caught a discussion on smoking/bbq on 2100 just now.

I hear a bit of traffic on Rimlink from nets during the evening, and drive-time comments on the local repeaters.

I've found the simplex calling frequency is often far more busy than repeaters here.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what I'm thinking is getting some sort of simplex event that we can coordinate to let everyone test their stuff out.

I know a lot of guys have radios and scanners stashed somewhere they wouldn't mind learning more about, or at least get a 2m/70cm spot carved out to find members throughout the day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's what I'm thinking is getting some sort of simplex event that we can coordinate to let everyone test their stuff out.

I know a lot of guys have radios and scanners stashed somewhere they wouldn't mind learning more about, or at least get a 2m/70cm spot carved out to find members throughout the day.
View Quote

I should tell that I got off the ham radio train long ago.  I became an amateur radio operator in 1991.  I eventually had towers, HF rigs, and spent tons of free time on the air.  It was enjoyable for a while but the personality problems and arguing got old.  I was a member of a simplex group that the ARA didn't like.  As a result we were jammed by them.  It was pathetic, but as a 20 year old kid I thought it was entertaining.  

Eventually technology (internet, cell phones) killed the hobby and for me, it just wasn't worth the expense and hassle.  I still have two friends who are on air, but they have been on for much longer and their lives revolve around it.  

I have two HTs and a SW desktop rig now.  That's all.  They don't get much use tbh.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Wed. SkyWarn net 20:00.
Thurs. New Ham Net 17:00.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm interested in this. I have a baofeng but no license. Is it easy to obtain?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very easy.  

For android, download "Ham test Prep". This is the question and answer bank that will be on the exam. $15 for a test session, and you'll be set.

If you are sitting around the house in the valley, listen in on your baofeng:

442.850 is fairly active during the day, 9pm net each night 2100net.org
442.900 is active throughout the day
446.600 is connected to the win system, people all throughout the country all day and there's a net at 11pm each night.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very easy.  

For android, download "Ham test Prep". This is the question and answer bank that will be on the exam. $15 for a test session, and you'll be set.

446.600 is connected to the win system, people all throughout the country all day and there's a net at 11pm each night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very easy.  

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Pinal 147.200 has skywarn active (unlinked from Rimlink) right now if you are in a spot to listen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top