Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
The wife and I went car camping up on the Mogollon Rim last weekend.  It was our puppy's first time camping(but not in the mountains)  He freaking LOVED it!!!!  He was off leash about 30% of the time as he follows direction and stays near by.

Campground was Kehl Springs Campground off of FR300.  Night temps were low 50's, Day temps were mid 70's.  Everything was green to!!!  The cool thing about Kehl springs is its only about a 1/3 mile hike through a small gully to the rim edge.

Enjoy.

Generate by IceMaster's Flickr BBCode and HTML Generator
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like fun. Any fishing nearby?
View Quote

Not really, knoll lake is closest fishing to kehl spring campground I think.  I normally pick campgrounds with fishing near by, but we wanted to be near the edge of the rim with no crowds.  This campground only had 8 spots!  Chose not to do dispersed for my wife, possible fire restrictions,  and I did not want to bring the luggable loo with us lol.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks!

Aluminum
Dont do it often enough to matter, it is accumulative.  and also almost everything in there was not acidic, which is where a lot of the leaching is claimed to happen.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Mad props for the Cav Arms lower.  I don't see enough of those around anymore.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mad props for the Cav Arms lower.  I don't see enough of those around anymore.
View Quote

Ive got a coyote one(pictured), a blue one with custom S/N, and an aluminum one as well as all some furniture... I used to help out at the shop YEARS ago... router and shipping fun!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't realize there was an established camp ground there. We we're right there over the weekend, too (off 659A)
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't realize there was an established camp ground there. We we're right there over the weekend, too (off 659A)
View Quote

Free too!!!  One of the few free campgrounds in the NF.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may have seen our campsite from your hike to the rim. Wouldn't be surprised if you were more than 500yds from us.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You may have seen our campsite from your hike to the rim. Wouldn't be surprised if you were more than 500yds from us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you?  There was no one up the canyon, but there was a group of cars off of FR300 a few hundred yards west of us.

The measure line is the little canyon we walked up to the edge of the rim.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where were you?  There was no one up the canyon, but there was a group of cars off of FR300 a few hundred yards west of us.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8791/28008118850_259af9a449_o.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

34.426842, -111.317986

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

34.426842, -111.317986

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/pdenonville/20160708_191500_zps8gr21rvr.jpg

ROLF... so you were literally a few hundred yards from us!!!!

You are behind my wife up that hill then.  I almost walked up there!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool pics and looks like a great trip!  Thanks for sharing

See any cool wildlife?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool pics and looks like a great trip!  Thanks for sharing

See any cool wildlife?
View Quote

Nope.. just its poop and tracks.. elk and deer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Know that area well.  Nice pictures.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have almost the same pic as 17 but from about 15 years ago. May get another Thursday when I'm up there again.

Jester
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like fun dude.....

Session IPA FTW
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Great photos!  The Rim is such a great place to go
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ROLF... so you were literally a few hundred yards from us!!!!

You are behind my wife up that hill then.  I almost walked up there!!!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7326/28250772415_af9342c5a7_h.jpg
View Quote

Yep! May be going back this weekend, too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is inspiring me to go camping again
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome pics man! Looks like you and the wife had a great time! Might have to look into that campground to take the family.

Did your puppy sleep inside the tent with you guys?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Awesome pics man! Looks like you and the wife had a great time! Might have to look into that campground to take the family.

View Quote

It was very relaxing!!

It is a good site, just have to bring your own water and take your trash out.

Yes he did!  We put his bed next to our air mattress, but by morning he was between us on top of our comforter lol.  he is not allowed on the beds at home so this was a treat for him.  He absolutely LOVED going in and out of the tent and being in it.  He also had no problem asking to go outside.  he is almost 8 months old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It was very relaxing!!

Yes he did!  We put his bed next to our air mattress, but by morning he was between us on top of our comforter lol.  he is not allowed on the beds at home so this was a treat for him.  He absolutely LOVED going in and out of the tent and being in it.  He also had no problem asking to go outside.  he is almost 8 months old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was very relaxing!!

Nice! Water/trash is no problem as we usually camp in places he have to pack in/pack out what we bring. Just looking for somewhere with cooler temps to camp. This looks like it might fit the bill! My wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for the family, hence the question about your puppy sleeping in the tent.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nice! Water/trash is no problem as we usually camp in places he have to pack in/pack out what we bring. Just looking for somewhere with cooler temps to camp. This looks like it might fit the bill! My wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for the family, hence the question about your puppy sleeping in the tent.

Thanks for the info!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was very relaxing!!

Thanks for the info!

it is really going to depend on the puppy!!  Charlie is a rescue and is half Jack Russel half Australian shepherd... so he is smart and listens and follows commands naturally(most amazing dog i have ever had).  The original puppy that we wanted from the rescue was half black lab, half GSD.. at 8 months old our tent would probably have been destroyed before I even got it set up and there would be hair everywhere LOL.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome pics. I'm planning a trip with the wife and kid there when it cools down.

Question. Can you find a place there away from everyone else?  I don't do well around people who think they can blast music and think they get to dictate what I have to listen to.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome pics. I'm planning a trip with the wife and kid there when it cools down.

Question. Can you find a place there away from everyone else?  I don't do well around people who think they can blast music and think they get to dictate what I have to listen to.
View Quote

The highs up there were 75-77f.  We were in a campground so there will always be noise but for the most part up theres not many rude people.  Mainly because there were only 8 total unlike some other campground with hundreds!   But in any national forest you can camp anywhere!!  It is called dispersed camping.  You just need to be self sufficient.   It is pretty easy to find an alone spot that way.  http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/?cid=stelprdb5313448
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]
... I need to go camping!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... I need to go camping!
View Quote

Dude.. again, so bad!  This month is a good month for us though.. wife finished some classes last month and work hits hard next month so we are doing something every weekend this month.

4th weekend was concert in the park with friends up at McCormick railroad park.  Last weekend was camping trip, this weekend, we just got back from the Wigwam over in Litchfield Park.. it was an AWESOME staycation.  Next weekend is AirBnB in Sonoita with lots of wine tasting... then finally a rest weekend lol.  But with all that we are trying to figure out when camping next!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just in that same area. Caught one fish(LOL) at Knoll Lake.  Did See an osprey chase off a bald eagle over the lake though, which was super cool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Love that dog...
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was just in that same area. Caught one fish(LOL) at Knoll Lake.  Did See an osprey chase off a bald eagle over the lake though, which was super cool.
View Quote

That is cool!  I usually go where I can fish, but this trip was all about getting cool and we both have driven by Kehl Springs campground enough times that we keep saying we need to stay there, so we finally did.

Stream fishing is required for next camping trip.  Tonto Creek is my favorite car camping stream fishing spot so far.. easy, 9 spots, shady, great fishing with rainbow stockers and natural browns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Love that dog...
View Quote

And I can wholeheartedly say.. he loves you even though you never met.  LOL.  He is stupid friendly loving.  Very gentle with children too.  I think we have only seen him not want to be by a select few people.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have you ever fished the Black River on the San Carlos Res?  The $20/day/person fee sucks but damn it's beautiful and the fishing is pretty good too.  The trout are further upstream from where I have fished it but there are a lot of small mouth and some nice, eating sized green sunfish too.  Catfish also if that's your thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cool!  I usually go where I can fish, but this trip was all about getting cool and we both have driven by Kehl Springs campground enough times that we keep saying we need to stay there, so we finally did.

Stream fishing is required for next camping trip.  Tonto Creek is my favorite car camping stream fishing spot so far.. easy, 9 spots, shady, great fishing with rainbow stockers and natural browns.

Have you ever fished the Black River on the San Carlos Res?  The $20/day/person fee sucks but damn it's beautiful and the fishing is pretty good too.  The trout are further upstream from where I have fished it but there are a lot of small mouth and some nice, eating sized green sunfish too.  Catfish also if that's your thing.

No, but it is on my list, especially the trout sections.  I thought the fires a few years ago messed up areas of it for a bit, are they back open?

Lee's Ferry(with a boat) is also on my list.

But that being said, there are some GREAT streams up on the Rim front and on top, you just gotta know where to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've fished it at two crossings, both on the reservation.  The fires didn't touch the places where I've fished on the San Carlos Res.  

Upstream more towards the East and West forks might be a different story.  I saw a lot of fire damage around that area during turkey season this past spring.

Unfortunately, right now I can't remember the names of the crossings where I started fishing.  I want to say one was called White's Crossing, but I'm not positive about that.  

The first time was further upstream and the fishing wasn't good because it was right after a lot of rain last year so the water was really muddy.  I have no doubt the fishing would be much better under normal conditions though.

A few weeks back I fished closer to the Salt and the water was perfect.  I only had a few hours to fish but caught plenty.  

I haven't tried Wildcat Crossing near Hannagan Meadow yet but I hear that's really good too and more likely to yield trout.  

I also want to try the forks but there are special regs for those so if you do it, read up first.

View Quote

Definitly.  I used to work in the outdoor industry and had to know info on res use.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The east verde off flowing springs Rd used to be one of my favs until it became a vagrant camp.I gotta find another spot close to strawberry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The east verde off flowing springs Rd used to be one of my favs until it became a vagrant camp.I gotta find another spot close to strawberry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has always been too crowded there for me to be happy..

I do plan on going up Pine Creek Canyon, apparently there are pools with browns in them up the creek.  3+ mile hike from the trail head... or 2+ mile hike from the family cabin back yard.

The other "close" place is a bunch of the upper East Verde river crossings on Houston Mesa Road.  You can get there using Fire Control Road, about 2 miles past That Brewery going towards Payson.

Other than that.. I head over to Tonto Creek, Hornton Creek, or Haigler Creek.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I do plan on going up Pine Creek Canyon, apparently there are pools with browns in them up the creek.  3+ mile hike from the trail head... or 2+ mile hike from the family cabin back yard.

The other "close" place is a bunch of the upper East Verde river crossings on Houston Mesa Road.  You can get there using Fire Control Road, about 2 miles past That Brewery going towards Payson.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8565/27803710194_bc411aefe8_b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8565/27803710194_bc411aefe8_b.jpg

Control road past the brush pit?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep, great area to camp.  We go all the time to that area.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for sharing. Great area. I camp the rim nearly two weekends a month this time of year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top