Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2016 3:46:58 PM EDT
Found one of these bloodsuckers in my apartment. Never seen one before so it freaked me out. I'm guessing it flew in while I had the door open or something. Are these pretty common in Tucson? Have any of y'all seen one inside your homes?

Relevant: http://www.orkin.com/other/kissing-bugs/
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a couple a year, rarely inside the house, but I keep doors closed and have screens.  I believe they are attracted to pack rat nests, might want to look around and make sure there aren't any nests nearby attracting them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Def want to stay away from those bugs they are BAD news! Taken right from the link you posted.
Conenose bugs can be medically important. They can carry the protozoa Trypanosoma cruzi also called Chagas disease. The insect’s feces contain the protozoa. The bugs defecate while they feed or soon afterwards. If the person rubs the feces into a break in the skin, he or she could become infected. Scratching the insect bite can introduce the feces into the body. The disease is called Chagas disease or American trypanosomiasis. There have been very few cases of Chagas disease in the United States. Reports of Chagas disease in Mexico or Central America cause concern in the southwestern United States.

Eta there nickname is the Assassin Bug
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a friend in Catalina that gets them at his house all the time.  If you have a lot of pack rats and/or round tailed ground squirrels nearby, you'll probably have kissing bugs too.
View Quote

Does he take any pest control measures and is he concerned with getting Chagas Disease?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just put a perimeter of bug spray around your place.. every door any opening into your place.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure I've been seeing these lately, time to break out the Demon WP
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Def want to stay away from those bugs they are BAD news! Taken right from the link you posted.
Conenose bugs can be medically important. They can carry the protozoa Trypanosoma cruzi also called Chagas disease. The insect’s feces contain the protozoa. The bugs defecate while they feed or soon afterwards. If the person rubs the feces into a break in the skin, he or she could become infected. Scratching the insect bite can introduce the feces into the body. The disease is called Chagas disease or American trypanosomiasis. There have been very few cases of Chagas disease in the United States. Reports of Chagas disease in Mexico or Central America cause concern in the southwestern United States.

Eta there nickname is the Assassin Bug
View Quote

That's crazy, I remember collecting them in jars by the dozens and playing with them as a kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top