Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 12:34:42 AM EDT
Between my old ones and ones left in the home I moved into by prior owners, I have several nice all steel units that are either smaller or larger than the common size you can find at costco.    All are 15 years old plus and one shows no pressure.  Seems like a shame to throw them away.

Or is this like everything else in the USA, just to have an American look at them for 5 minutes costs more than buying a new one made overseas?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I took mine that I had in the CUCV to a place in the Gilbert/Chandler area and had it refilled after I had to use it on a small fire in the desert.  Mine was a 15-20lb one, they refilled it, pressurized it and re-labeled it with a new tag.

I think this was the place... Metro Fire Equipment 63 S Hamilton Pl, Gilbert, AZ 85233
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If the head is plastic, they're pretty much disposable.

There's a company down near 27th ave & Indian school that services extinguishers, I forget the name.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the head is plastic, they're pretty much disposable.

There's a company down near 27th ave & Indian school that services extinguishers, I forget the name.
View Quote

Any ideas on cost?   The ones I care about are all steel with steel heads.  Two are smaller than the common size so they fit nicely under the seats of a truck and the other is large unit about 2x the size of the ones you can buy at Costco.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I never got a quote. Mine were so old they just offered to toss them for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Between my old ones and ones left in the home I moved into by prior owners, I have several nice all steel units that are either smaller or larger than the common size you can find at costco.    All are 15 years old plus and one shows no pressure.  Seems like a shame to throw them away.

Or is this like everything else in the USA, just to have an American look at them for 5 minutes costs more than buying a new one made overseas?
View Quote

Do you work in a building that has fire extinguishers? Or shop at any places of business that have exposed fire extingushers? If so, those extingushers are required to be tagged with a colored card a bit smaller than an index card, attached with a twisty wire or plastic cable around the head. These tags have spaces where the inspector manually punches things like type of extinguisher, date of inspection, etc. these tags also have the name and contact info of the company that did the inspection. Perhaps get info off of one of these as a starting point for your search (hint: a cell phone camera works great for recording this info).

Even if the company only does industrial/commercial/contract work, they may be able to direct you to a company that can accomodate you.

Fire extinguishers are so commonplace that they blend into their surroundings. You actually have to look for them, but once you do, you'll be surprised how many are out in plain site.

ETA: Are the extinguisher bodies red or silver? If silver, they are water only an can be pressurised at any place that pressurizes scuba tanks. If the body is red, it will be marked with a letter code, typically BC, ABC (most common), D or K. This code will determine the type of fire the extinguisher is rated to extinguish.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Buying new ones may be your best bet . Check the prices at Home Depot .
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
yes but equal size and construction replacements from Amazon for the 4 all metal ones I have is $300 with ship and tax.  

Will see what Metro says.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top