Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 3:18:42 PM EDT
Just found a pretty good sized bee hive in a hedge I have out back. Seems like they just showed up overnight, or maybe I just noticed them and they have been there for a while. The way I see it is I have 3 options. 1. Wait and see if they go somewhere else  (sucks cause that puts the kiddos not going outside till they do) 2. Call for a bee removal, looks like about 100 bucks. 3. I have multiple cans of wasp spray so I could attack at dawn. Looking for suggestions on the best way to go about this. Thanks

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call a bee removal company. Find one that will take the hive intact and relocate them. They will relocate after a while, but will return. I have a hive living in an irrigation box on the other side of my wall (2ft high view fence). They keep coming back. I don't mind them only because of my garden, I need the pollinating.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are in your hedge I would guess they are just traveling through. They will most likely be gone in about 12 hours.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Well they didn't move along like I was hoping. I'll call around and just have someone remove them. Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I could see a lawsuit if someone knows about a hive, leaves it, and someone is attacked.  I read that most bees in AZ are Africanized.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a house in a neighborhood and a hive appeared in the tree out front. I let a day go by, but with so many kids in the area I had to get it removed. I tried to find a place that would take them live, but in short timeline it did not work out. I actually felt bad having them all killed off.. They put this deal in my tree that deters them and I never had more appear after that (could be coincidence).

Good luck if you can find someone to remove them, but sometimes its just not an option. Better to get rid of them then some get get all stung up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could see a lawsuit if someone knows about a hive, leaves it, and someone is attacked.  I read that most bees in AZ are Africanized.
View Quote

While I completely understand your pessimism and general disdain for society as a whole, this would never fly in court.

"I saw a bear in the woods."

"Did you kill it?"

"No."

(two weeks later)

"Oh no little Johnny was hiking in the woods and got attacked by a bear."

Back on track, interesting post about free removal from a beekeeper from Craigslist, this is a great idea, I will have to remember that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While I completely understand your pessimism and general disdain for society as a whole, this would never fly in court.

"Did you kill it?"

"No."

(two weeks later)

Back on track, interesting post about free removal from a beekeeper from Craigslist, this is a great idea, I will have to remember that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Did you kill it?"

"No."

(two weeks later)

I don't know if such a thing would fly in court, but that would not stop someone so inclined from trying.  Expense and hassle of a defense.  I think a "bear in the woods" would be more expected than a hive in the neighborhood.  I was referring to a hive on one's own property.

Not sure where "general disdain for society as a whole" is coming from.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]
my bad, assumed you felt the same way most of us do these days, suggesting someone would sue because god put bees in a tree, seems like a suggestion a guy who hates ambulance chasers and our litigation-crazed society would make.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Just had this happen.
IMO they are not to be taken lightly.
I called the exterminator the day I found them, all dead the next day.

Too dangerous for us and our neighbors who are all too close together with small children outplaying in their yards.

A young man was just killed by a swarm of them in Usury Mountain park.

Seems like I have heard of someone getting killed by them for the past few years..
Hikers, hikers and their dogs, babies being walked by their mothers in strollers..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
You are correct. Definitely don't want to take them lightly. Lucky for me while I was emailing a few people on CL about removal the swarm took off out of the hedge and went somewhere else. It was amazing to see an almost shadow cast from how many bees were flying together as they took off. You sure don't want to piss them off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Did you kill it?"

"No."

(two weeks later)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Did you kill it?"

"No."

(two weeks later)

It might be a bit different if the bear was in his yard making a den and he did nothing about it vs a bear he happened to see in the woods he does not own or have any responsibility or liability.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top