Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 4:13:18 PM EDT
I received a prospective job offer, coming from WV. I don't want to move into some liberal shithole, or is Tempe just a big college town?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Liberal College town.  Expensive (college town) but lots of cool places to eat (college town).

Most left wing place in the Valley.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liberal College town.  Expensive (college town) but lots of cool places to eat (college town).

Most left wing place in the Valley.
View Quote

This.

There's really no good reason to live in Tempe, that I can think of. You can commute to Tempe from most any city in the Phoenix Metro area in 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up 2 miles south of ASU. What were once nice family homes are now rentals for college kids. There are some nicer areas in Tempe just think south.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of metro Phoenix is like a giant subdivision.  Tempe has a more urban city feel.

And liberals.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Drink. Heavily.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Go look at a map and see the nice freeway system we have.  Then know you can get twice the house with just a short drive.  Only good thing about Tempe is sight seeing around the bars and parks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most of metro Phoenix is like a giant subdivision.  Tempe has a more urban city feel.

And liberals.

View Quote

+1

It's downright crowded down that way. I'd be looking at Chandler instead of Tempe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go look at a map and see the nice freeway system we have.  Then know you can get twice the house with just a short drive.  Only good thing about Tempe is sight seeing around the bars and parks.
View Quote

This. There's some nice houses in NE Mesa, that are minutes away from anything in Tempe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
We're full.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We're full.
View Quote

Unless he pays the ammo, beer, bacon, bourbon, and ammo tax.  Yrs, the ammo tax is expensive so it's listed twice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We're full.
View Quote

Fuck off with that, I'll take all the freedom loving gun owners Arizona can take.

If liberals come asking, we're full.  We've got room for people like him.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
C2 Tactical  is in Tempe.  Merchant Firearms is close by. Lots of good food was already mentioned.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of better places in the valley to live , and many close to Tempe .
Tempe is like Morgantown with less rednecks and more gays and Latinos
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fuck off with that, I'll take all the freedom loving gun owners Arizona can take.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

I guess some people can't take a joke
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

Throttle back bud. You obviously don't know GSL's sarcasm.  He's only serious when he uses the face
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Throttle back bud. You obviously don't know GSL's sarcasm.  He's only serious when he uses the face
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

I thought the only  time GSL is serious is when he runs around with just a thong on.  Backwards.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I thought the only  time GSL is serious is when he runs around with just a thong on.  Backwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I unfortunately live in Tempe right now for the time being. It's a loud college town with bad traffic. Lots of liberals and some ok places to eat. I'm going to move back to Phoenix. If you get a job offer in Tempe you don't necessarily have to live there because there's plenty of freeways.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're full.

Problem for the ladies that night was it still covered everything up.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey OP, I just went through this as well.  Wife was offered a position in south scottsdale and we just rented a place in chandler (we're from Iowa).  It seems that you can get more bang for your buck in the chandler and gilbert area.  And omg all the gun stores  I don't have any in the area right now
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Tempe and prefer it. Close to where I work and everything you could want or need near by.

Babes from ASU are a nice bonus
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's really no good reason to live in Tempe, that I can think of.
View Quote

Hot college chicks everywhere. I lived about 2 blocks from ASU for a few years, we'd get 'lost' in Safeway just buying a 12 pack....
Has some really great variety of food, lots of parks, a good library, close to the center of the valley so easier to get places. Light rail is close enough to walk, so you can go to the games and concerts in downtown, get trashed and not have to worry about getting a DUI or fighting traffic.
Housing is expensive. I remember paying an astronomical amount even 10-15 years ago.

As 'liberal' as Tempe may be, Arizona has state preemption of Firearms laws, etc...

If I move back to AZ I'll either live in Tempe or somewhere around Gold Canyon / Unincorporated area north of AJ(Still have a house there)
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
It is the valley. You can live anywhere you want. Find a neighborhood you like and move in (but always keep commute in mind )

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're single and ready to mingle, then you should love it.

I love Tempe, but, not a place to live if you're married and kids. At least I wouldn't think

Cool restaurants, bars, and a whole lotta hot chicks
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Look in south tempe near Chandler and mesa borders. It's far enough off campus to be outside of that mess.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Single or family?  Former, then Tempe is great.  Not the nicest place around (moved there from south Gilbert), but I'm right off the freeway in a recently renovated house and pay less for a mortgage than most pay in rent around here.  Great freeway access (I work east in Mesa and west in Phoenix), all kinds of food/shopping in any direction, and plenty to look at.  As mentioned, it's a bit more urban than suburban, which I like.  If you have a family, I'd definitly say NE Mesa or south Gilbert/Chandler, or even Ahwatukee.  I lived in the west valley several years ago and can't recommend it (over east valley), especially for a commute to Tempe.

Gun shops are on every corner it seems, but my go-to is Merchant in south Chandler.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If you like listening to planes, trains and sirens all day and night and having your stuff  gone through by bums anytime your not looking then you should live there.  And if you like seeing homeless living, sleeping, begging and crapping all over the place then you should really live in there.  If your willing to never sit on a bus stop bench because they won't stop the homeless from doing what they door all over them then it's an awesome place.  If you like stopping every hundred yards you should totally move there.  If you enjoy stepping over homeless that lay one the sidewalks when you want to enjoy the bar scene you should totally check this place out.  And if you want to be in a place where it takes an hour to go to the store 2 MI away because surface streets are so congested, you have found your new place
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#28]
When I lived there neighbor lady got beat up by her boyfriend and came to my house to call 911.  Cops came to my house and rapped on my door with mag light putting dings in a brand new just hung steel clad door.  That's how they treat tax payers property but bums run the streets and barely get a "move it along".  

Uber in and drink if that's what you like
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you like listening to planes, trains and sirens all day and night and having your stuff  gone through by bums anytime your not looking then you should live there.  And if you like seeing homeless living, sleeping, begging and crapping all over the place then you should really live in there.  If your willing to never sit on a bus stop bench because they won't stop the homeless from doing what they door all over them then it's an awesome place.  If you like stopping every hundred yards you should totally move there.  If you enjoy stepping over homeless that lay one the sidewalks when you want to enjoy the bar scene you should totally check this place out.  And if you want to be in a place where it takes an hour to go to the store 2 MI away because surface streets are so congested, you have found your new place
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
When I lived there neighbor lady got beat up by her boyfriend and came to my house to call 911.  Cops came to my house and rapped on my door with mag light putting dings in a brand new just hung steel clad door.  That's how they treat tax payers property but bums run the streets and barely get a "move it along".  

Uber in and drink if that's what you like

What parts of Tempe are you guys in?  I'm thinking maybe I just got lucky on this one.  Hope they don't shoot my Pitbull
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Depends on what you want out of life in the area you live.

I live on the eastern edge of Tempe and am pretty happy there. Neighborhood is pretty quiet and out of the way with respect to downtown Tempe proper. There are others like it, but I wouldn't say its the "norm" for Tempe.  And there's no way I'd live any closer (within 2-3 mile radius) to ASU.

Check out the following:

Evergreen Neighborhood
Shalimar Neighborhood
Cole Park Neighborhood
Optimist Park Neighborhood
Camelot Village
Dava Lakeshore
Raintree Neighborhood
Sandahl Neighborhood
Sunburst Farms
Estate La Colina
Warner Estates
Corona Village
Warner Ranch
Alta Mira

Those are what I'd consider most of the "nice" neighborhoods of Tempe, and occupy it's East/South corridors. Depending on your budget some of those may be a bit out of reach.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Start paying attention to bus stop benches, hedges next to pony walls along landscaping facing streets, transformer boxes.  Look for feet sticking out.  The city is a sanctuary for bums.  Check out the park at mill and curry, tax payers can'take use it and if there's no bums there when you drive by don't sit on any of the benches or eat at the picnic table.  If you have kids don'the let them use the bumper shower known asince a splash pad at Tempe town lake

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2016/04/27/mill-ave-sit-protest-new-tempe-ordinance/83557778/
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Start paying attention to bus stop benches, hedges next to pony walls along landscaping facing streets, transformer boxes.  Look for feet sticking out.  The city is a sanctuary for bums.  Check out the park at mill and curry, tax payers can'take use it and if there's no bums there when you drive by don't sit on any of the benches or eat at the picnic table.  If you have kids don'the let them use the bumper shower known asince a splash pad at Tempe town lake

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2016/04/27/mill-ave-sit-protest-new-tempe-ordinance/83557778/
View Quote

This sums it up basically...
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Im not really down with anything outside of Anthem and Cave Creek. Too much traffic. Too many people. I can't wait to move out if Gilbert to one of the aforementioned areas.

It's not that Gilbert is bad it's just......cookie cutter. I have like 12 walmarts within 5 miles of me (none of which have 22 lol).

It's just feels like Tampa without the water. North Phoenix actually feels like the desert IMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top