Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 11:50:46 AM EDT
We are looking at buying a second home in the Parker/Havasu/Bull Head City area. Just looking for some input on what you like/dislike about at area. I know I won't be there during holiday weekends as I don't like large groups of people, but plan on spending at least a weekend a month, if not more. I assume there are lots of shooting and off-roading options? I've spend a few weekends there in the summer, but those were at a rv campground in a rental. Are there any ghetto areas we need to avoid looking at?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
pm me, ill let you know all about it after I get off work today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We are looking at buying a second home in the Parker/Havasu/Bull Head City area. Just looking for some input on what you like/dislike about at area. I know I won't be there during holiday weekends as I don't like large groups of people, but plan on spending at least a weekend a month, if not more. I assume there are lots of shooting and off-roading options? I've spend a few weekends there in the summer, but those were at a rv campground in a rental. Are there any ghetto areas we need to avoid looking at?
View Quote

Not my favorite part of Arizona.  Bullhead City is poor old people and meth heads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not my favorite part of Arizona.  Bullhead City is poor old people and meth heads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been looking at the mountains near Strawberry, Morman Lake, and Prescott. The problem is I'm looking at a 6 to 8 hour drive to get there, so in reality I don't think I would go as much. The river is only 3-3 1/2 hours, which is much more doable with 2 small kids.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My parents do the drive from OC to Pine/Strawberry  its 7-7.5hrs with stops.  It just means that they come to their cabin for more than a few days at a time but the drive is very doable and not going to wear you out like some.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My parents do the drive from OC to Pine/Strawberry  its 7-7.5hrs with stops.  It just means that they come to their cabin for more than a few days at a time but the drive is very doable and not going to wear you out like some.
View Quote
I'm still looking into it, just want to consider all my options.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you apply for the voucher yet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, as I said in your GD thread, I'm buying and I don't care! But I'm also looking around Duck Creek Village in UT.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've been looking at the mountains near Strawberry, Morman Lake, and Prescott. The problem is I'm looking at a 6 to 8 hour drive to get there, so in reality I don't think I would go as much. The river is only 3-3 1/2 hours, which is much more doable with 2 small kids.

View Quote
Prescott has a lot to offer. Where in CA are you located?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Victorville area

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like ~6 hours to Prescott, not a bad drive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not horrible, but not sure it it's a leave Friday after work and drive home Sunday kind of drive, at least not monthly, but maybe. Not to mention I have a wife and 2 daughters, so that will add an hour in bathroom stops at least.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Victorville area  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victorville area  
Victorville!?

No, do not come to Prescott. Victorville is just an extension of that cesspool of life Barstow with lots of mileage and right before the armpit of car driving; Cajon Pass. We don't want your Calitude driving and we like things to be red over here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Victorville!?

No, do not come to Prescott. Victorville is just an extension of that cesspool of life Barstow with lots of mileage and right before the armpit of car driving; Cajon Pass. We don't want your Calitude driving and we like things to be red over here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Victorville area  
Victorville!?

Ok buddy

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm hoping to move to Prescott as well. I'm from Hesperia., neighboring Victorville. So your state is RED? Great.... that's the reason I'm moving my wife, daughter, and myself. And no, we're not bringing the "Blue" mentality to Arizona. We're "RED" people in a blue state and we hate it. Prescott here we come! (Whether the locals like it or not)!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to move to Prescott as well. I'm from Hesperia., neighboring Victorville. So your state is RED? Great.... that's the reason I'm moving my wife, daughter, and myself. And no, we're not bringing the "Blue" mentality to Arizona. We're "RED" people in a blue state and we hate it. Prescott here we come! (Whether the locals like it or not)!
View Quote
A lot of blue state folk say these things, then they come over to Prescott or Prescott Valley and start bitching. They almost shut down Mingus locations to shoot and the kicker? Those spots were there before the calitards decided to build homes there. Same with the the range in Prescott proper. Too much noise they cried and cried about and the kicker too? They were moving more and more out to the range where it would be impossible to not have a range there anymore. Now we do not and you have to drive all the way to Chino Valley to use an outdoor range. We've still got spots to shoot, but don't ask me for directions and shoot you POS TV's and then leave them there and fuck it up for everybody else

Then you have to watch in town hall meetings where the occasional "Back in Cali this is how we did things" crap
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok buddy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victorville area  
Victorville!?

Ok buddy

Prove me wrong then because it's still a shithole. And California drivers are seriously bad...15 is a long road and yet why is it the most dangerous on the CA side no matter going north or south? Isolated incidents or the Calitude driving style? It isn't isolated, its the driving attitude you all have there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Prove me wrong then because it's still a shithole. And California drivers are seriously bad...15 is a long road and yet why is it the most dangerous on the CA side no matter going north or south? Isolated incidents or the Calitude driving style? It isn't isolated, its the driving attitude you all have there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Victorville!?

Ok buddy

Ok buddy

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in Hesperia also, I just say victorville because no one really knows where Hesperia is. Wouldn't be awesome if be both both a house on either side of GSL!

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A lot of blue state folk say these things, then they come over to Prescott or Prescott Valley and start bitching. They almost shut down Mingus locations to shoot and the kicker? Those spots were there before the calitards decided to build homes there. Same with the the range in Prescott proper. Too much noise they cried and cried about and the kicker too? They were moving more and more out to the range where it would be impossible to not have a range there anymore. Now we do not and you have to drive all the way to Chino Valley to use an outdoor range. We've still got spots to shoot, but don't ask me for directions and shoot you POS TV's and then leave them there and fuck it up for everybody else

Then you have to watch in town hall meetings where the occasional "Back in Cali this is how we did things" crap
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because EVERYONE from California is the same....

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ok buddy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Victorville!?

Ok buddy

Ok buddy

So you cannot prove me wrong, okay buddy
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Victorville!?

Ok buddy

Ok buddy

Chill out dude, there are plenty of good people just dying to get out of California. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of shit head, lazy, democrat native Arizonians. I usually give the benefit of the doubt to anyone on this forum, especially if they're politely asking for advice. Arizona needs all the red they can get, have you been watching Texas turn blue over the past 2 generations? What do you think  is going to happen here?  Your not helping by being abrasive. I lived there about my whole life, and Im coming back to finish it out, where are you from?

If you think youve seen bad driving, just try to use the I5 in Oregon, solid left lane campers from Eugene to the Washington border. 3 lanes wide at 60mph.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the way to Chino Valley to shoot outdoors? I go off of Iron Springs Rd. and Contreras Rd for that. I've seen your "locals" dump their TV's and leave their empty ammo boxes on the ground..... yes, with Arizona plates making a mess. As far as having shooting ranges closed because of housing development and then noise complaints, I've seen my share of that here in Southern California, so I'm as pissed about it as you are and feel your pain. But again, not all of us in California are the same. And we ALL don't drive the same. Coming into Prescott is a breath of fresh air because you can smell the freedom. But some of your neighbors north of you, Flagstaff, are far more left than many in California........ maybe these hippies are the people you're seeing shooting old TV's at your shooting spots??
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a place in Bullhead for several years - never again. The place is like living in an episode of the Trailer Park Boys. Even if you buy a nice place, you're still too close to the trailer parks and barrios. I had my car stolen right out of my driveway. I had someone go through my car probably a dozen times that I know of in a five year period. Spent some time in the Fort Mohave and Mohave Valley area also. It's a mix of poor ass rednecks and wannabe gang members of every race and creed.

In 2014, we finally had enough of that bullshit and got out of there. We bought a place in the Hualapai's above Kingman. Holy shit is it nice up here. We top out at around 86 - 88 degrees in the summer beneath the pine tree forest canopy. We get snow a few times a year, but it isn't bad. The lowest I ever saw was around 16 degrees in the middle of the night. There is so much tree cover up here that it acts as a natural wind block. In Bullhead, I had to fix the north side shingles every fucking year because of the constant wind.

Price point wise, homes up here are about the same price as ones in the city. I have my own well and septic system. The water quality is outstanding. You can drink it right out of the faucet without any filtering. We have central air, but never really use it. We just turn it on to make sure it works occasionally. The little community up here is pretty close knit. Everyone is pretty right wing and keeps an eye after each others stuff. I've only seen a police car up here twice. There is a thriving barter economy up here where people trade their skills. The temperature is nice enough up here that we have a garden going 9 months out of the year beneath the Ponderosa pines and oaks. The soil quality is amazing up here. Last year, our tomato plants were around 12' tall and were only getting around 7 hours of sunlight per day. We spent all day today working on expanding our planting beds. Hell, one of the Ponderosa pines in my yard is estimated to be around 500 years old. The base of the trunk is about 4' in diameter.

We didn't even plant these iris', and we have about a 100 blooming right now. They're basically weeds here.

New beds we are installing.

What is your purpose of being out here? Like a vacation place to hit the river from? Lake Mohave is a far nicer lake than Havasu. The river between Mohave and Havasu is a fucking death trap during the summer. I won't even go out on it anymore. Alcohol fueled morons on 40 dollar per day jetski rentals. On Mohave, if you head north of Katherine's Landing, you stop seeing the usual California pricks who come down with daddies speed boat after about five miles or so.

A basic search of zillow or trulia should show you some offerings up here. There are small places that start in the 140k area. Then there are places that reach up towards 500k.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm in Hesperia also, I just say victorville because no one really knows where Hesperia is. Wouldn't be awesome if be both both a house on either side of GSL!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit's funny.

I'm originally from Hesperia too. Welcome to AZ if y'all make it here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I had a place in Bullhead for several years - never again. The place is like living in an episode of the Trailer Park Boys. Even if you buy a nice place, you're still too close to the trailer parks and barrios. I had my car stolen right out of my driveway. I had someone go through my car probably a dozen times that I know of in a five year period. Spent some time in the Fort Mohave and Mohave Valley area also. It's a mix of poor ass rednecks and wannabe gang members of every race and creed.

In 2014, we finally had enough of that bullshit and got out of there. We bought a place in the Hualapai's above Kingman. Holy shit is it nice up here. We top out at around 86 - 88 degrees in the summer beneath the pine tree forest canopy. We get snow a few times a year, but it isn't bad. The lowest I ever saw was around 16 degrees in the middle of the night. There is so much tree cover up here that it acts as a natural wind block. In Bullhead, I had to fix the north side shingles every fucking year because of the constant wind.

Price point wise, homes up here are about the same price as ones in the city. I have my own well and septic system. The water quality is outstanding. You can drink it right out of the faucet without any filtering. We have central air, but never really use it. We just turn it on to make sure it works occasionally. The little community up here is pretty close knit. Everyone is pretty right wing and keeps an eye after each others stuff. I've only seen a police car up here twice. There is a thriving barter economy up here where people trade their skills. The temperature is nice enough up here that we have a garden going 9 months out of the year beneath the Ponderosa pines and oaks. The soil quality is amazing up here. Last year, our tomato plants were around 12' tall and were only getting around 7 hours of sunlight per day. We spent all day today working on expanding our planting beds. Hell, one of the Ponderosa pines in my yard is estimated to be around 500 years old. The base of the trunk is about 4' in diameter.

We didn't even plant these iris', and we have about a 100 blooming right now. They're basically weeds here.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Garden/Garden-2016-04-24_zpsz4yww1fk.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Garden/Garden-2016-05-01_zpsrz0vjwlj.jpg

What is your purpose of being out here? Like a vacation place to hit the river from? Lake Mohave is a far nicer lake than Havasu. The river between Mohave and Havasu is a fucking death trap during the summer. I won't even go out on it anymore. Alcohol fueled morons on 40 dollar per day jetski rentals. On Mohave, if you head north of Katherine's Landing, you stop seeing the usual California pricks who come down with daddies speed boat after about five miles or so.

A basic search of zillow or trulia should show you some offerings up here. There are small places that start in the 140k area. Then there are places that reach up towards 500k.
View Quote

Thanks for the awesome info. My wife is more interested in the river than I am. I prefer somewhere quiet and relaxing to get away to once a month or so. I could also use the tax write off, and is owning more property really bad. Looks like a great community you have there. I will have to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Closer to just five hours.

Prescott's climate is nothing like Bullhead's. Prescott is more like Colorado with winterlite. Boating is either the Colorado river, Lake Mead or Lake Powell, or Lake Pleasant. Any way you go is a drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately there's lot of truth in this. There is a great deal of resentment towards former Californians. What's been experienced is people from LA county sell their houses for lots of $$$ and come to the Prescott area and buy into new developments that we have no water for, have HOAs and generally drive up housing prices. Then, after not registering their vehicles for over a year, proudly displaying their CA plates and driving rudely, complain that they don't have the shopping experiences they want and can't believe there are dirt roads here. LOTS of dirt roads. The culture clash IS very sharp. It's not uncommon to hear, "I can't believe YOU still do this here..."

Well, most of us DO know how they do things in California, and no, it's NOT the way we want to do things here. Politically, this is the home of Barry Goldwater. His family settled here. One of the old buildings downtown still has 'Goldwater's Department Store' emblazoned on it. Please understand that when we say Arizona is a 'Red State', we mean we think John Wayne was a moderate at best.

This is how it is here. If you want to succeed here, the first thing you do is get rid of your California license plates and keep your mouth shut until you get the lay of the land. After you figure things out, then you try to fit in.

I'm not saying go away, don't come here. I'm only suggesting that if you do come here, come with both eyes open and don't try to change us. Do this and you'd be welcome.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 40 acres up in the mountains near Seligman, 6000ft and about 1hr from the CA border on I40. you can probably get into something nice for $1k/acre
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Unfortunately there's lot of truth in this. There is a great deal of resentment towards former Californians. What's been experienced is people from LA county sell their houses for lots of $$$ and come to the Prescott area and buy into new developments that we have no water for, have HOAs and generally drive up housing prices. Then, after not registering their vehicles for over a year, proudly displaying their CA plates and driving rudely, complain that they don't have the shopping experiences they want and can't believe there are dirt roads here. LOTS of dirt roads. The culture clash IS very sharp. It's not uncommon to hear, "I can't believe YOU still do this here..."

Well, most of us DO know how they do things in California, and no, it's NOT the way we want to do things here. Politically, this is the home of Barry Goldwater. His family settled here. One of the old buildings downtown still has 'Goldwater's Department Store' emblazoned on it. Please understand that when we say Arizona is a 'Red State', we mean we think John Wayne was a moderate at best.

This is how it is here. If you want to succeed here, the first thing you do is get rid of your California license plates and keep your mouth shut until you get the lay of the land. After you figure things out, then you try to fit in.

I'm not saying go away, don't come here. I'm only suggesting that if you do come here, come with both eyes open and don't try to change us. Do this and you'd be welcome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no interest in "importing" California lifestyle. I live in one of the reddest parts of California for a reason. We still have dirt roads in my city, no side walks, street lights, etc. Hell I'm on a septic tank. California is a fucking shithole, and I don't have any "big city" thinking in me. And why would anyone want to keep their Cali plates? It probably cost 10 times the amount to register a vehicle in Cali than Arizona.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have 40 acres up in the mountains near Seligman, 6000ft and about 1hr from the CA border on I40. you can probably get into something nice for $1k/acre
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I'll check that area out also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Victorville, Hesparia...LOL...I lived in Wrightwood, had a house here in Havasu for 20 years before retiring here 3 years ago, if you like boats, fishing, off-roading, hell I even scuba dive, and shooting is within a 10 min drive, PM me if I can help out.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for the awesome info. My wife is more interested in the river than I am. I prefer somewhere quiet and relaxing to get away to once a month or so. I could also use the tax write off, and is owning more property really bad. Looks like a great community you have there. I will have to check it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Garden/Garden-2016-04-24_zpsz4yww1fk.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Garden/Garden-2016-05-01_zpsrz0vjwlj.jpg

You certainly won't get quiet near that river.  If you're within a mile of it, you'll listen to open header speed boats from 7am until 9pm all summer long. There were some we could hear from 4 miles away at times. Not to mention the gnats and mosquitos.

Another awesome point about the Hualapais is there are no mosquitos. If I ever sell, that point will be in the listing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]
IM sent...

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have no interest in "importing" California lifestyle. I live in one of the reddest parts of California for a reason. We still have dirt roads in my city, no side walks, street lights, etc. Hell I'm on a septic tank. California is a fucking shithole, and I don't have any "big city" thinking in me. And why would anyone want to keep their Cali plates? It probably cost 10 times the amount to register a vehicle in Cali than Arizona.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying this is you, but this is what you're up against. Lot's of people relocate successfully. Car registration isn't that much cheaper here though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard people say that before, and yet they still do it. Had to hear it from on of my neighbors living on the other side of me who happens to live in an HOA. He had the audacity to say that to my face then bitched about my flags, one being USA and the other a US Army. Problem is, is that my home is on private property so I do what I want when I want. So I got even bigger flags and raised them higher because I can. And that guy is constantly rolling through stop signs and cutting people off. Typical "red" California RINO mentality.

As Windnot said, come here without that crap and don't bring California to us; you're in AZ now so either embrace the place that we call home with open arms and don't try and be a crusader of fuckery to change things here, and drive like a normal human being. Use your god damn signals appropriately, stop at a stop sign, do the posted speed limits, and don't bang a a quick left just so you don't have to wait five fucking seconds for oncoming traffic to go by. Don't disregard safety just so you can save a few fucking seconds. I know how you all drive, seen it firsthand since being stationed at Irwin and traveling up and down your state. It's a night and day difference crossing from CA to Oregon, Nevada, and here in AZ. You can always tell who isn't from here, they never give strangers any greetings and are generally rude.

We like our guns, we like to hunt, and we love our dirt roads. We don't want your malls or HOA's. We prefer mom and pop shops because we like supporting the local economy and keeping our money inside the state.
Deputies and police officers are our friends and not the enemy. We respect those who seek religion and don't give two fucks about a cross near some highway. And we sure as shit don't want or need big government. We have the cleanest air here and we didn't need no CA red tape save the trees fuckery to get it either.

Respect us and our way of life here, and you will have no problems at all and neither will we.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Good lord GSL, not trying to be an ass but you need take a xanax.  The guy just wants some info on moving to a free state. Just because he's from California doesn't mean he's an asshole.  Look in the mirror dude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top