Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 4:28:35 PM EDT
A kid at work bought a metal detector out of the blue cause he thought it looked cool but now he doesn't know where to go and what permits he may or may not need. I have no idea either so I thought maybe someone in here would know.

What areas can he go without a permit? Is state trust land good to go? What about BLM? He wants to try up and around Mt Lemmon so does he need a permit? He wants to try the ski area while there's no snow. Is that ok? If permits are needed for certain areas where or who should he contact?

Idk shit about this and neither does he. Help.

Eta: he also wants me to ask which areas would be good to check out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
GOLD!!

What kind of detector is it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GOLD!!

What kind of detector is it?
View Quote

Exact answer: "Garret something something 300."  

He said he paid like $350 for it.

I think it's a Garret Ace 350.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't remember if it's BLM or state trust land, but one of them you can't legally use a metal detector on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't remember if it's BLM or state trust land, but one of them you can't legally use a metal detector on.
View Quote

State trust land... aka no fun land.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no kidding. No target shooting and no metal detecting. Lame.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with detecting is you are not going to find a definite location online... the people that are into it protect their honey hole locations.  There are gold clubs that have claims  you can use once you are a member, panning, sluicing, detecting...  They are most likely the best resource for being successful in finding treasure.  GPAA, Desert Gold Diggers(Tucson) are a start.  Other than that, just find some general information on where gold might be found and then go explore.

I only pan right now(and I suck LOL), so my surface gold knowledge is limited.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What kind of stuff is he trying to find?  I like old homesteads and rail road camps myself.  If he spends any time out in the desert hunting/exploring/whatever, tell him to keep an eye out for purple glass and if he finds any, mark the spot for future detecting.  The book Ghost Towns of Arizona is a good resource for finding some old spots to detect.  

Parks and other places where large gatherings take place are good for finding clad change and jewellery.  Just make sure to tell him not to destroy turf or leave a bunch of holes.  Speaking of holes, it's good etiquette to always rebury your holes after digging something up.  

If he can get permission to detect a 60+ year old house, there is likely to be a silver coin lurking somewhere about.

I have the same detector.  I like that it is light weight but wish it had better discrimination for use in trashy sites.  That said, with a little use, one can get a pretty good idea if something is worth digging up or not.  Unfortunately, gold and pull tabs read about the same.

I have only been detecting for a couple years.  My coolest finds to date have been old cartridges.  I still haven't found any old coins (I have found clad in parks and schools).  My grandpa has been at it for about 50 years and has found all sorts of neat stuff, including tons of 100+ year old US coins and trade tokens.  He has also found a lot of old Mexican and Chinese coins at old rail road camps.  A few years back, he found a $5 US gold piece that I believe was from the 1880's.

View Quote

Yeah he's just huntin for coins (he likes and collects coins), trinkets, and random "cool" stuff he said. I'll forward him this thread. Thank you and everyone else for the advice.

I'm gonna go with him to try it out for the first time this weekend. He wants to try the ski area on Mt Lemmon really bad but I'll tell him about rail road camps too.  Hopefully it's boring to me tho, cause Idk if I can afford another hobby.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
He needs to be careful on any public land.  Historic sites are 100 years or older.  The majority of old town sites I have visited fall into this category.  Looking for gold in creek beds is one thing, but looking for artifacts at old town sites can bring unwanted problems.

https://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/anti1906.htm

Private property is different. As long as he has permission from the owner, he can metal detect all he wants.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell him to look for meteorites, our desert is a great place to find them.  400 bucks a gram.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top