Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:21:33 PM EDT
Do AZ hunting regs define various hunting devices? Specifically looking for their definition of a "centerfire handgun" and "shotgun." New to hunting, and considering starting with jackrabbits as season on them seems to be year-round, and I've actually seen a lot of them. The only entry I see regarding handgun caliber is an expectation that for hunting buffalo, caliber be 41 Mag or greater. Others just say 'centerfire handgun.' As for shotgun, I just see the load (shot or slugs) mentioned, not barrel length and mag capacity, except for bird hunting only.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Migratory birds still limited to 3 or less shells. Everything thing else with the shotgun is unlimited. There are certain restrictions though. You can't shoot big game with shotgun shooting shot other than turkey and mountain lion. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think you can hunt buffalo in AZ w/ a handgun anymore. (Says in regs page 108). You can shoot just about anything w/ a centerfire handgun except turkey, buffalo and upland birds. Get the main G&F regs and read them. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Migratory birds still limited to 3 or less shells. Everything thing else with the shotgun is unlimited. There are certain restrictions though. You can't shoot big game with shotgun shooting shot other than turkey and mountain lion. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think you can hunt buffalo in AZ w/ a handgun anymore. (Says in regs page 108). You can shoot just about anything w/ a centerfire handgun except turkey, buffalo and upland birds. Get the main G&F regs and read them. Hope this helps!
View Quote

Thanks! These would be the regs in question, right?
Here

My most powerful handgun is a 6" .357, and I don't plan blasting anything bigger than mountain lion with it for now. In the distant future, might try to go after javelina, as a friend in Cave Creek is always complaining about them running through the area.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
G&F regs which show seasons and has general info.https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/regs/mainregs.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top