Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 3:01:05 AM EDT
A while back I posted in this thread in GD about where a photo was taken, because I wanted to see the area in person (https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1808506).  Y'all from AZ definitely delivered, surprisingly quickly.  I've been living in AZ for work for a few months but never got the chance to go to that part of AZ.  I'm not working in AZ anymore, but I'm going back soon to get the rest of my stuff from my brother's place in Prescott Valley.  Since I'll have a free day, I wanted to take the opportunity to go up there and check Government Prairie out.

What I'm wondering is what is available for camping up there?  Is Government Prairie, despite the name, private or public land, and are there limitations on access or other things?  I assume if it's public that firearms are okay since this is AZ, but if I'm wrong about that, let me know.  Where might one park for at least a day hike?  Is there a trail towards Humphrey's Peak?  Recommended source for topographical maps?

I'll probably be heading out early next week, but if not, then early the next week.  I'm not sure how long it will be until I go to AZ again; I did really like it there in northern AZ while it lasted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Since nature is your thing, I would take the drive from Prescott Valley up and over Mingus and check out Jerome on top and get an incredible view while having a meal at the haunted hamburger, drive below and through Cottonwood, catch some views passing through Sedona and enter Flagstaff and continue on the 40 to your destination nearby.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Map
https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty=17&q=Government%20Prairie&satid=id.sid%3a98693f60-0853-b7b8-4a5b-10533767fdfb&mb=35.384357~-111.961006~35.312252~-111.872993&ppois=35.3483047485352_-111.916999816895_Government%20Prairie_~&cp=35.348305~-111.917&v=2&sV=1

Trails.com review with lots of info

I've never been there but the surrounding area I have seen is beautiful.
As to carrying a gun if it's not Indian res or private property in AZ you should be fine. Government prairie is in the Kaibab National Forest so camping should be OK unless it's posted no camping. Find a nice scenic spot off the road/trail and make camp.

Call if you want to be sure.

Kaibab National Forest
Supervisor's Office
800 South 6th Street
Williams, AZ 86046
(928) 635-8200
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The private property is pretty well marked out there. None of the hills are private afaik. I love that area. There is plenty of camping spots in the treeline on the edge of the prairie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The private property is pretty well marked out there. None of the hills are private afaik. I love that area. There is plenty of camping spots in the treeline on the edge of the prairie.
View Quote

That pic was probably taken off the horseshoe hill off the 793 rd. Lava river caves is in the trees on the east side of the prairie. Thatd be pretty cool to checkout.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^Lava tubes are def cool to check out..... Cool as in "don't forget a warning later" as well! If you're going here, I suggest a headlamp with extra batteries. Way easier than using a flashlight. And def don't forget extra h/l or batteries, 2 is one, 1 is none and all that.  Last thing you want is to be 1/2 from any ambient light and your light source goes tits up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
^^^Lava tubes are def cool to check out..... Cool as in "don't forget a warning later" as well! If you're going here, I suggest a headlamp with extra batteries. Way easier than using a flashlight. And def don't forget extra h/l or batteries, 2 is one, 1 is none and all that.  Last thing you want is to be 1/2 from any ambient light and your light source goes tits up.
View Quote

I'll need to buy a headlamp, then.  I saw them on Google Maps, but wasn't sure what the story was about them.  How tight is it in the caves?  Would I have to abandon my pack to pass through?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That pic was probably taken off the horseshoe hill off the 793 rd. Lava river caves is in the trees on the east side of the prairie. Thatd be pretty cool to checkout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you be able to point it out on a map or aerial photo?  I haven't been quite able to figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]
exit the 40 at parks.  Upper right corner should be where the pic was taken that's the only real prominence and there is a rock out cropping on top. We have watched antelope and coyotes on top of it before.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]
exit the 40 at parks.  Upper right corner should be where the pic was taken that's the only real prominence and there is a rock out cropping on top. We have watched antelope and coyotes on top of it before.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Picture's not coming through.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
BTW, is there any good place within reasonable distance to leave my vehicle out there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top