Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the input on the car stuff I just went to the dmv website and made a quick calculation so I probably got the math wrong.
That is reassuring!
So far I have about 7 job prospects just waiting for some call backs to set up interviews. And my wife pretty much can have any listed job she wants for the asking once I decide on one. On further examination it looks like our combined income will likely top 200k the first year at a minimum and I can't imagine cost of living being any worse and far likely better than what we deal with now. I look forward to visiting some gun shops in a few weeks to see what my future will look like - free at last!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can't live like a king off $200k + a year in AZ, you're doing something wrong.
View Quote

Scottsdale, 200K, Eh not going too far.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Azjeeper if you grew up in Brooklyn most of us western New Yorkers will say you do not know good pizza either ! ( all in jest but buffalo's thick heavy pizza is what I grew up on and when a city guy talks good pizza and it is not much thicker than the box it came in well not)
View Quote

Ohhh...I thought you said you were from NY lol
I have friends from Buffalo that live here, its all good!
Az car registration is based on the value of the vehicle, and naturally gets cheaper ea year. $500 sounds like a lot for your Jeep.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I misread the website as to how they compute the registration cost. My jeep will not be bad, the wife's 2015 Audi on the other hand ?!
Considering I have managed to live a pretty comfortable life on 125k in NY I doubt there will be any issue getting by on more money in Arizona. At this point I would eat mac and cheese three times a week if I can get out of New York !
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you planning on being for your recon trip here? I can only give you ideas for shops to look at if you're in the Prescott area.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
GSL: I may end up in Prescott area too, depending on what responses I get. We will be staying in Phoenix /Scottsdale area in a condo but I plan to drive to all the different areas to decide what looks feels best for us.
Right now my first three job prospects are Phoenix metro ( actually about 6 there that I know about ) one in Prescott and one in Sierra Vista. I know people have varying opinions but I feel a bit uneasy so close to the border in Sierra vista ( odd thing is I have lived almost within sight of the Canadian border all my life and never gave it a thought)
My hope is to interview with possible employers in all regions and decide on the best option ( with my awesome wife having signfica to input as well) we both had employers in flagstaff practically begging us, but one of our major goals is to get away from snow and cold which obviously won't happen in flagstaff
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, I see. In Prescott Valley we have Desert Eagle Guns and PV Guns. In Prescott proper we have Bill's Trading Post, High Country Guns, J&G, and eventually a Sportsmen Warehouse this summer sometime. In Chino Valley there's the original Tombstone Tactical and Mazys.

If you'll be scouting here, try and make it to Watson Lake and Willow Creek. You will not be disappointed in the beauty there. I live nearby if you need a tour of the town or have questions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GSL: I may end up in Prescott area too, depending on what responses I get. We will be staying in Phoenix /Scottsdale area in a condo but I plan to drive to all the different areas to decide what looks feels best for us.
Right now my first three job prospects are Phoenix metro ( actually about 6 there that I know about ) one in Prescott and one in Sierra Vista. I know people have varying opinions but I feel a bit uneasy so close to the border in Sierra vista ( odd thing is I have lived almost within sight of the Canadian border all my life and never gave it a thought)
My hope is to interview with possible employers in all regions and decide on the best option ( with my awesome wife having signfica to input as well) we both had employers in flagstaff practically begging us, but one of our major goals is to get away from snow and cold which obviously won't happen in flagstaff
View Quote

Of your choices Prescott offers the best year round weather and easy access to outdoor activities like hiking, camping and off road driving.

GSL mentioned Watson Lake, this is in the city of Prescott. Great hiking + boating.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sierra Vista is far enough from the border that you do not have to worry about direct border crime.  Does it affect Sierra Vista, yes, as it does Tucson and Phoenix metro area.  I live about 17 miles south of Sierra Vista and rarely have border crime issues.  My stomping grounds are along the border.  Sometimes I am even on the border road in my truck, on an ATV, or mountain biking.

If you make it down to Sierra Vista, IM me and I will see if I can give you a tour of the area, including my neighborhood and the border.  Also, I may be able to give you the scoop on the company you sent your resume to and the people who work there.

For great outdoors activity you cannot go wrong with Prescott either.  I really like it up there too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful pictures Rich !
Now comes the waiting for responses to my resumes and deciding on a job. Sure I could grab an urgent care or family practice job right off, but would prefer to stick with orthopedics like I am doing currently.
I did get some responses and hope to meet with some people next month.
One did ask if I could start next month, but there's too many loose ends to tie up after 50 years of life here to cut out that soon
Thanks again everyone for your input
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Update- coming out for a visit next week four Phoenix metro area interviews one ( still waiting on details ) in Tucson and two in Prescott.
Does look like Prescott is more rural and "woodsy" for lack of a better term. The wife has offers in all these areas as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Property taxes are so much lower here too.
I move here from N.Y. too, after a 10 year detour to So Cal (so that I could meet my wife apparently)
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
The countdown will begin soon I think- the people who bought
Our house want in by end of June- may be a free stated by July 1st!
I have researched shooting clubs and it looks like rio salado in Phoenix metro and yavapai recreation league in Prescott are the clubs for shooting events any one a member of these ? Feed back/ opinions welcome.
Also while it looks like there is a ton of rental property in east valley Prescott not so much. If any one can advise on dog friendly rental housing in Prescott it would be helpful. The wife dog and I do not need anything big or expensive just neat clean and we are looking to down size to a low maintenance rental at least to start. 2 bed and 1-5-2 bath would be ideal
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top