Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2016 11:17:27 AM EDT
Can not recall if I posted here before but the wife and I in about a month will be on a scouting trip to solidify our relocation plan to the free state of Arizona !
Someone here I think posted a map of the greater Phoenix area showing what are some good places to live or avoid.
Right now it looks like I would have job prospects in several sections of Phoenix one in Tucson and one in Prescott.
I hear commuting in Phoenix metro can be a bear ( right now my work commute is 41 miles one way but with relatively minimal traffic)
Our goal is to live in close enough proximity to work to limit commuting issues.
My wife has literally dozens of job offers so she would solidify her job options after I decide on mine
Any input you folks can give is appreciated!
( relatively close proximity to one of the major clubs - rio salado Phoenix r&g etc would not be a bad thing either!)
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
NY!? Prescott is full.

If you decide to scout Prescott, send me a message for any questions. If you're scouting in June, at the end of that month we'll be doing a hometown shoot and the location is nearby.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Prescott
Tucson
Phx
In that order for me. You'll get seasons in Prescott, none of them harsh. Phx and Tucson also have seasons, summer and those two weeks in January.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx
In that order for me. You'll get seasons in Prescott, none of them harsh. Phx and Tucson also have seasons, summer and those two weeks in January.
View Quote

Why Tucson over phx? I absolutely hate Tucson. Phx has everything.
I live in Tucson
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I live in Tucson
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

For me, the mt ranges around Tucson do it for me. The Catalinas, Rincons, Ritas....love em all. Better Mex food and monsoons, slightly cooler temps too. What's so great about Phx?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For me, the mt ranges around Tucson do it for me. The Catalinas, Rincons, Ritas....love em all. Better Mex food and monsoons, slightly cooler temps too. What's so great about Phx?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

Nothing in Phoenix itself. It's the east valley that rules. Lakes, National Forest, BLM land nearby and the Mogollon Rim is only a short drive if you need to "cool off".
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nothing in Phoenix itself. It's the east valley that rules. Lakes, National Forest, BLM land nearby and the Mogollon Rim is only a short drive if you need to "cool off".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

Nope. East side is all full up =)

I would scout it out, but find a job and figure out where after that. If you live in the east side and have to work in the west side (unlikely, ain't shit on the west side), then the commute would suck. Really freeways here are well done. Commuting 50 miles is not unheard of. I used to go from west valley to scottsdale. It sucked, but I rarely stopped on the freeway even in rush hour (slow, but not usually stopped). Its not like LA.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks and keep the suggestions coming! I figure anything except California Maryland and New Jersey has to be better than the crap we deal with in New York !
I will be in Arizona the second week of May to scout things out resumes go out next week to the ten or so job prospects I have so far and I will be attending a trade conference the week prior and anticipate at least 15 contacts and possible interviews while I am there. Right now most of the jobs are in the Scottsdale area ( which I know many refer to as snottsdale!) but we also have some old friends that live there and that would help us settle in some.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Certain parts of Tucson are really nice, especially the Catalina Foothills area.  I prefer Tucson to Phoenix in many ways, but Phoenix definitely has more gun culture and significantly more money than the Tucson area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's so great about Phx?
View Quote

We've actually paved the roads more recently than the Carter Administration.

If Tuscon had actually built a loop freeway 20 years ago it wouldn't be that bad, but getting anywhere on city streets is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're from NY some liberal horse shit rubbed off on your ass, check that shit at the state line brother.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember to save up for Rizzo's ammo tax.

Tucson is infested with much more liberal group-think, but Phoenix has it's share. Flagstaff is 1/2 way between the two, as far as FSA stuff.
JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I get it trauma I have to think everyone here is of a like mind regardless of where we grow up or find our selves living. Grown up in western New York ( 500+ miles and a world away from New York City which sadly negatively influences the politics of what is otherwise a beautiful state)
Make no mistake I am trying to escape all that is liberal - much of New York out side the city is much more conservative that you might think
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get it trauma I have to think everyone here is of a like mind regardless of where we grow up or find our selves living. Grown up in western New York ( 500+ miles and a world away from New York City which sadly negatively influences the politics of what is otherwise a beautiful state)
Make no mistake I am trying to escape all that is liberal - much of New York out side the city is much more conservative that you might think
View Quote

concur, my wife's originally from WNY as well
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Can not recall if I posted here before but the wife and I in about a month will be on a scouting trip to solidify our relocation plan to the free state of Arizona !

Someone here I think posted a map of the greater Phoenix area showing what are some good places to live or avoid.

Right now it looks like I would have job prospects in several sections of Phoenix one in Tucson and one in Prescott.

I hear commuting in Phoenix metro can be a bear ( right now my work commute is 41 miles one way but with relatively minimal traffic)

Our goal is to live in close enough proximity to work to limit commuting issues.

My wife has literally dozens of job offers so she would solidify her job options after I decide on mine

Any input you folks can give is appreciated!

( relatively close proximity to one of the major clubs - rio salado Phoenix r&g etc would not be a bad thing either!)
View Quote
Hey buddy get in line.  We are all looking to move over here..

Are you up to speed on your ammo tax yet?

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If Tuscon had actually built a loop freeway 20 years ago it wouldn't be that bad, but getting anywhere on city streets is a nightmare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's so great about Phx?

I prefer dirt roads to paved, see my screen name.
I've been in the Phx area since the Carter Admin.. I still prefer Tucson.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

This.
I actually like Queen Creek/San Tan Valley. Smaller. On the edge with a 20-30 minute drive to everything in chandler. Plenty of desert to explore. Straight shot to the salt river and lakes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer Phoenix over Tuscon personally. Prescott is very nice. It all depends on what you're looking for (outdoors, restaurants, shows). I can't speak for Tuscon traffic but I know it's all side streets. Phoenix traffic can get really bad in certain areas. If you enjoy attending sporting events then Phoenix wins. Like I said all depends on what you do in the spare time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]
My life pretty much is work and shooting. I do like to bird hunt from time to time but that is not a high priority. The wife and I are foodies and like to eat out , so some good eats is a bonus, but often we can be just as happy with a nice burger. While on the food subject good pizza would be rather important ( where I live now there are literally hundreds of small mom and pop pizza places and it is one of my staples- marginal quality pizza won't cut it)
My priorities are pleasant low crime living ( not spending a fortune for housing would not hurt) proximity to work and gun clubs to limit commute and that is about it
My hope is on our scouting trip to get a feel for each area regarding things like traffic and lifestyle in each region.
I understand the Phoenix summers can be brutal ( having said that the wife and I tolerate 115 in the peak of summer in Vegas without issue- though I do understand day in day out heat is different than a couple week dose - I did experience long term heat in Iraq but that again was a whole different animal too)
While Tucson and Prescott tend to be more moderate.
Thanks again for the input
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Tucson is only a few degrees cooler than Phoenix, while Prescott is significantly cooler.  Consistently good pizza isn't going to happen, I'm sure one of the Phoenix guys will tell you they know a spot, but I've tried dozens of pizza places in Tucson, Phoenix and Flagstaff and none of them rival what I used to get in NY and NJ.

If you're choice boils down to Tucson and Phoenix, I'd decide based on where you would live, which will be based on where you are working.  I don't like most of the Phoenix area, but there are some really nice places up there, Cavecreek, Gold Canyon, Paradise Valley come to mind.  The key in Phoenix is you don't want to live more than10-15 miles from where you work and you want to drive west in the AM and east in the PM.  In Tucson, most of the North and Northeast side are also really nice, so if you are going to be working on the north or east side of town, Tucson might be a good option.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tucson is only a few degrees cooler than Phoenix, while Prescott is significantly cooler.  Consistently good pizza isn't going to happen, I'm sure one of the Phoenix guys will tell you they know a spot, but I've tried dozens of pizza places in Tucson, Phoenix and Flagstaff and none of them rival what I used to get in NY and NJ.

If you're choice boils down to Tucson and Phoenix, I'd decide based on where you would live, which will be based on where you are working.  I don't like most of the Phoenix area, but there are some really nice places up there, Cavecreek, Gold Canyon, Paradise Valley come to mind.  The key in Phoenix is you don't want to live more than10-15 miles from where you work and you want to drive west in the AM and east in the PM.  In Tucson, most of the North and Northeast side are also really nice, so if you are going to be working on the north or east side of town, Tucson might be a good option.
View Quote
Hey now, I've found two joint's here that otherwise if not found I would have agreed with you there about the pizza. Aroma's in Chino Valley is pretty good and Bill's Pizza in Prescott town square is also really good too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My life pretty much is work and shooting. I do like to bird hunt from time to time but that is not a high priority. The wife and I are foodies and like to eat out , so some good eats is a bonus, but often we can be just as happy with a nice burger. While on the food subject good pizza would be rather important ( where I live now there are literally hundreds of small mom and pop pizza places and it is one of my staples- marginal quality pizza won't cut it)
My priorities are pleasant low crime living ( not spending a fortune for housing would not hurt) proximity to work and gun clubs to limit commute and that is about it
My hope is on our scouting trip to get a feel for each area regarding things like traffic and lifestyle in each region.
I understand the Phoenix summers can be brutal ( having said that the wife and I tolerate 115 in the peak of summer in Vegas without issue- though I do understand day in day out heat is different than a couple week dose - I did experience long term heat in Iraq but that again was a whole different animal too)
While Tucson and Prescott tend to be more moderate.
Thanks again for the input
View Quote
Prescott: There's a club that is at the Chino Valley public range and there's the Prescott Action Shooters club down near Wilhoit. We've got a lot of mom an pops places here that is good food. But you will not find the food here like it is where you're from. Good Chinese is questionable her and the only place I know that is as good as it gets to being really good as the ones back north is in Yuma at the Yuma Palace. We have some really nice bbq places. Bill's Grill and Brown Bag Burgers for your burger fix. Lefty's for steak in Dewey. Lonespur Cafe for breakfast. If you have to have deli, then Speed's Deli is what you're after. Once a month me and saintmark meet up for lunch. So far we've never been disappointed yet at the picks we make to try out.

Low crime? Prescott is it then if that is what you're after.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Certain parts of Tucson are really nice, especially the Catalina Foothills area.  I prefer Tucson to Phoenix in many ways, but Phoenix definitely has more gun culture and significantly more money than the Tucson area.
View Quote

I guess if you can stand the traffic, Phoenix would bring a higher salary for most good jobs.  The key is finding that pay in Tucson.  It may take a few tries.  

I like going to Phoenix, but I left SoCal for the traffic (and the oppression).  Tucson isn't so bad for traffic, but the road surfaces have mostly failed. The City Council and County Board of Sup are very corrupt and love to spend tax dollars on anything but infrastructure.  I guess it is like that in many places.  

Green Valley, Sahuarita, Vail, Rita Ranch, and Sierra Vista are worth looking into, but you take what you get with the smaller communities.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Kcco so far I have about ten job prospects across the state all openly offering about 100 k and the wife is getting offers for 80-100k so that should not be an issue.(thankfully) if I open my options beyond my current area of focus but for which I am still qualified for the number of jobs becomes well over fifty.
I will just have to see what pans out over the next month I am more than willing to go for a lower wage for better work environment living circumstances or commute.
Thanks again everyone for responding
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kcco so far I have about ten job prospects across the state all openly offering about 100 k and the wife is getting offers for 80-100k so that should not be an issue.(thankfully) if I open my options beyond my current area of focus but for which I am still qualified for the number of jobs becomes well over fifty.
I will just have to see what pans out over the next month I am more than willing to go for a lower wage for better work environment living circumstances or commute.
Thanks again everyone for responding
View Quote

Hahaaa....you're going to miss the pizza!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

I agree with this and I live in Sierra Vista.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Best of luck on were you end up. Just don't say were I come from in new york we did it this way.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Best of luck on were you end up. Just don't say were I come from in new york we did it this way.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prescott
Tucson
Phx

I live in Tucson

I want to retire in SV. I'm down there often for work for days at a time, hate having to come back to Phx.
Already told the wife, if I find a nice cave in the Huachucas, I'm gone!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I want to retire in SV. I'm down there often for work for days at a time, hate having to come back to Phx.
View Quote

I think the Kartchners beat you to the nicest one, down there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I want to retire in SV. I'm down there often for work for days at a time, hate having to come back to Phx.

Location, location, location! Don't really care about the cave, just HAVE to be in the Huachucas!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Just an effort to keep this up- any one give input on green valley ( near Tucson ) which is where one of my advertised job opportunities is ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just an effort to keep this up- any one give input on green valley ( near Tucson ) which is where one of my advertised job opportunities is ?
View Quote

A lot of retirees. Nice area though, no pizza to speak of.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't say this enough. The natives don't want to hear it and the rest of us are glad we're FROM wherever we're from and not still there anymore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Green Valley is alright, occasional drama due to proximity to the border though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks jeep I am also a jeep owner! Resumes are going out as of today and we are less than a month from our scouting trip!
I can smell the freedom now!
Already in the first two weeks have had about ten walk throughs on our house up for sale so we are hoping for a sale soon!
While I want to give my current employer lots of advance notice things may move quicker that originally planned. The quicker I get out of NY the better!
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks jeep I am also a jeep owner! Resumes are going out as of today and we are less than a month from our scouting trip!
I can smell the freedom now!
Already in the first two weeks have had about ten walk throughs on our house up for sale so we are hoping for a sale soon!
While I want to give my current employer lots of advance notice things may move quicker that originally planned. The quicker I get out of NY the better!
View Quote
Make sure to go shooting is among the first things to do, make a video of it shooting anormal mag of more than 7 and say F-U Cuomo!

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Relocated from Queens, NY to Tucson in July of last year.

It's a nice town.  The people are friendly, the gas is cheap, and the mountains are beautiful.  Relocation ended up costing us about 8k, try to get your new job to cover it if you can. Don't be afraid to negotiate! Also, slow down when you get out here. People don't speed the way we do back east. Meaning, if the sign says 40, that doesn't really mean 60... go figure.

As for pizza, there are no GOOD slices out here but - bless their hearts -they sure do try! There is a place call New York Pizza on the east side of Tucson that has Mets games from the 1980's playing on repeat, it's terrible. The most decent is a place called Brooklyn Pizza Company on the west side. The delivery radius isn't great but it's worth the drive to stop in.

There's also this strange lasagna-like dish that some off the locals mistake for pizza.  They tell me it's imported from somewhere.....Chicago, I think?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I vote Phoenix over Tucson any day of the week. Phoenix has great food and lots of stuff to do, Tucson doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#41]
It's the water. Water is what makes a good pizza. If you're looking for a taste from home I know one place that is a staple where I grew up from that delivers by mail.

Town Spa Pizza

Local paper review

I know a friend from California who loved it so much he orders it for his kids birthdays and family get together's.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks all! A bunch of resumes went out last night so we will see what happens. As far as relocation costs my wife is even more aggressively head hunter than I am, and many places offer a sign on bonus relocation costs and some even provide housing or an additional housing stipend. Honestly if it costs me 20k to relocate I would not care at this point. I can make my own pizza if I have to!
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would not care at this point. I can make my own pizza if I have to!
View Quote

I grew up in Brooklyn. There are a few decent pizza places around, but nothing like NY. It's OK, everything balances out. Great Mex food!
What kind of Jeep do you have?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Azjeeper if you grew up in Brooklyn most of us western New Yorkers will say you do not know good pizza either ! ( all in jest but buffalo's thick heavy pizza is what I grew up on and when a city guy talks good pizza and it is not much thicker than the box it came in well not)
Like I said I can always make my own pizza!
I am hearing back from my resumes and the biggest issue is they all want someone right away! It takes time to sell a house empty 50 years of accumulate life stuff and make a move like this.
I have a great current employer and do not want to leave without sufficient notice.
I did look at the Arizona dmv website and see car registration is pricey- like my old jeep would cost about $500 to register, but all the other costs are so much lower it does not concern me much. Does it save you at all if you have a leased as opposed to owned vehicle?
My jeep is an 09 wrangler
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#45]
When I am there visiting can someone please give me a good list of gun shops to visit? While I enjoy black rifles as much as the next guy ( and I plan an enthusiastic build schedule once I am there permanently) I like to see lots of old classics when I visit shops - anyplace in Arizona with a good stock of old stuff?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When I am there visiting can someone please give me a good list of gun shops to visit? While I enjoy black rifles as much as the next guy ( and I plan an enthusiastic build schedule once I am there permanently) I like to see lots of old classics when I visit shops - anyplace in Arizona with a good stock of old stuff?
View Quote

In Tucson, check out Murphys and Tucson Guns, maybe Second Amendment as well if you want to see walls of guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I can't imagine an '09 wrangler costing $500 to register unless it is for several years.  AZ does kind of suck for registration because the cost is based on vehicle value.

The bright side is, you'll save some of that money in gas, especially in Tucson.  I don't know why, but Tucson pretty much has the cheapest gas in AZ and some of the cheapest gas in the country.

+1 for Murphy's and Tucson Guns if you want to check out some older stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Azjeeper if you grew up in Brooklyn most of us western New Yorkers will say you do not know good pizza either ! ( all in jest but buffalo's thick heavy pizza is what I grew up on and when a city guy talks good pizza and it is not much thicker than the box it came in well not)
Like I said I can always make my own pizza!
I am hearing back from my resumes and the biggest issue is they all want someone right away! It takes time to sell a house empty 50 years of accumulate life stuff and make a move like this.
I have a great current employer and do not want to leave without sufficient notice.
I did look at the Arizona dmv website and see car registration is pricey- like my old jeep would cost about $500 to register, but all the other costs are so much lower it does not concern me much. Does it save you at all if you have a leased as opposed to owned vehicle?
My jeep is an 09 wrangler

I can't imagine an '09 wrangler costing $500 to register unless it is for several years.  AZ does kind of suck for registration because the cost is based on vehicle value.

The bright side is, you'll save some of that money in gas, especially in Tucson.  I don't know why, but Tucson pretty much has the cheapest gas in AZ and some of the cheapest gas in the country.

+1 for Murphy's and Tucson Guns if you want to check out some older stuff.

Yes, $500 does sound high for registering that vehicle.  I pay less than $100 for my 04 Tacoma.

There is a gasoline pipeline that ends in Tucson that allows the gas to be cheaper.  The pipeline originates in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#50]
We bought a new home in Quail Creek which is 25 miles south of Tucson and very close to Green Valley (our Post Office is Green Valley.  It's a gated community with every amenity you could want: golf, swimming pool, tennis, pickle ball, 3 club houses, arts, crafts woodworking building, workout room etc. etc.  It is, however, for those 55 years and up.
After owning a house in a Denver suburb we could not believe how cheap new houses are.  Also, Insurance.  Our homeowners ins in Denver was $1,500 per year, here it just went up to $191, In CO I pay $1,000 per year per car.  For the same coverage with the same company I was quoted for two cars $350 a year.  
Friends of ours just had a very nice one one level house in Madera Highlands in Green Valley for $198,000 with many upgrades. (no age restrictions there)
Elevations here are 3,000 feet so it's cooler than Phoenix or Tucson.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top