Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2016 10:50:53 AM EDT
Sounds like we will be moving to Phoenix area come September-November.

Wife and I are looking for some decent houses in the area that wont break the bank. Our budget is 250,000.

So far, Queen Creek seems to be the best $$ for the value. I have never been to that area so we will have to explore it on our next trip to AZ.

We have friends who live in Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale and South Mountain area.

What would be your recommendation for a good area? We have some kiddos who will start Elementary/Middle school. So, school choice is important.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Queen Creek is a great place to live. They have decent schools, plenty of Charter schools, and also some schools in the Chandler school district like Casteel 7-12. I'd agree that you get the best bang for your buck in the Easy Valley in QC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Rizzo's Ammo Tax: Prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Defiantly check out chandler, good schools and close to every thing.
Queen creek would be good if you work in that area . I would stay out of Phx and Mesa.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
250k will buy plenty of house out here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Please explain?

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Queen creek would be good if you work in that area . I would stay out of Phx and Mesa.
View Quote
Yep, we have been looking there, and Gilbert as well. Unfortunately any house that we find now will be gone when we move. So we are just trying to find a good area.

I am going to be putting my house on the market here come spring.

Any good ranges near by?

We cant wait to leave these Midwest winters behind!

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep, we have been looking there, and Gilbert as well. Unfortunately any house that we find now will be gone when we move. So we are just trying to find a good area.

Any good ranges near by?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any good ranges near by?

About 4-5 decent ranges within ~30mins of Chandler/Tempe.
C2 Tactical, Caswell's, Scottsdale Gun Club, are all nice indoor ranges, though they can be a bit expensive.
Rio Salado and Phoenix Rod&Gun are both outdoor ranges, I've only been to Rio.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You want the County Island between Queen Creek and Gilbert/Mesa.

No stupid city taxes that way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please explain?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain?

How hard it hits you depends on what state you're coming from
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trading one extreme for another. I'd rather deal with winter in Nebraska than summer in 'da valley'.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
At your price point Gold Canyon or unincorporated land North of AJ might be gtg. Really depends on where you plan to work and what highways you need good access to. I'd try and stay near big blocks of state trust lands to avoid the heat sink effect of most of PHX metro.

If work isn't making PHX metro your only option look into Prescott or Chino Valley
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, Arizona is full.  Check back for a vacancy after the next housing bubble.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, Arizona is full.  Check back for a vacancy after the next housing bubble.
View Quote
:)

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain?

Good thing I only have a couple of boxes of 5.56 and some 9mm. What is the current tax rate? 20-30%?

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

At your price point Gold Canyon or unincorporated land North of AJ might be gtg. Really depends on where you plan to work and what highways you need good access to. I'd try and stay near big blocks of state trust lands to avoid the heat sink effect of most of PHX metro.

If work isn't making PHX metro your only option look into Prescott or Chino Valley
View Quote

We have friends in Gilbert and would like to stay close to them. We have been going to AZ for the last 6 years 2-4 times a year. It was always a vacation so we never really explored the areas that much. I have dealt with the heat and let me tell you, we would rather have high heat vs negative temperatures in the winter and stupid humidity in the summer.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi, You should really consider your commute to and from work. You and your wife's if you are going to be working. I cannot over empathize this enough the traffic during rush hours(yes plural) can be unbelievable. This would be my main consideration.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi, You should really consider your commute to and from work. You and your wife's if you are going to be working. I cannot over empathize this enough the traffic during rush hours(yes plural) can be unbelievable. This would be my main consideration.
View Quote

This!  Also make sure you're driving west in the AM and east in the PM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Victorgonzales where is that map?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Victorgonzales where is that map?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is everything.  You've been here.  You know everything is spread out.  Driving the same long road sucks, and it sucks 1000x when its hot.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I still don't get this Rizzo tax you guys speak of?

Is this an inside joke?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?
View Quote

Tax evader ....
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?
View Quote

Hardly.

OP, hat's your trade? Do you have something lined up for work or other plan?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I just moved here last summer from and CT and love it. Currently renting a house in Gilbert and love it here as well. It seems like you don't have to deal with the begger/transients here as much as you do in mesa/tempe/ certain parts of chandler. My lease is up in June and I have began looking at houses. Would like to stay in Gilbert but can't get everything I want it seems in the 250k price limit. We currently pay 1600/month for a 2k sqft 4bed/2bath with 2.5 car garage with a pool(I couldn't live here without a pool in the summer). Have been checking out houses online in Queen Creek but haven't driven down to check out the area yet. Living close to work is key. If you have to drive in to Phoenix in the AM or out in the PM its going to get old real quick.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I moved here from the midwest in 2010 and have yet to regret it.  Queen Creek is definitely a developing area with houses in that price range.  However, QC is just about as far away from Phoenix as you can get and still be considered a suburb.  It's way, way out there.  As some people have said, if you're going to live down there and commute even just over to Chandler you're looking at 30 minutes easy without traffic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tax evader ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

Rizzo knocks on door in 3.. 2.. 1..
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tax evader ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

If buying online to avoid the .08% city tax, then sure. I guess I am a tax evader.

But, I usually buy ammo online, and if I buy in the store, it's a box of 9mm here and there. Never really pay attention to the recept

Still doesn't explain this Rizzo nonesense
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If buying online to avoid the .08% city tax, then sure. I guess I am a tax evader.

But, I usually buy ammo online, and if I buy in the store, it's a box of 9mm here and there. Never really pay attention to the recept

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

Somebody help this man out, lol.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

And be charged as an accessory?  No thanks, staying far away from this one.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like someone needs to be held up as an example for the masses...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got back from the netherworld outside of Sioux City, Iowa...(via Omaha) and let me tell ya......AM I GLAD AS HELL I LIVE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm FROM there! Why would you even go there? spirit Lake, Okoboji, sure; but Sioux City? What's the best thing that ever came out of Iowa?
wait for it
Interstate 80 westbound!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hardly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Hardly.

I am an engineer. Work in the Automotive field, but I can be up for anything? I have been looking online just to get an idea and it looks like I should not have too much problem finding an Engineering job. I am really good and SW, INV, AutoCAD, FEMAP.

Currently, I design/develop and test chassis and other "automotive" parts. Lets say that I talk to engineers at Daimler on weekly bases. Typical projects that I do, run anywhere from 130-450k.

My night time hobby is designing gun parts... :)

Here is a Tavor barrel I re-created when I was laying out an upper rail for it. (Flash hider is a retro)

Worst case I can work construction? I have designed a few building and have worked construction for a number of years while I was going though college. I can frame, do flat work, electric, plumbing, HVAC.

Heck, apparently I made a really good stir fry today (according to my wife) so I can always  get a job at McDonalds!

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

Good thing I don't really have much ammo.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this an inside joke?

Tax evader ....

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Well.. My employer offered me a promotion for an upper lvl management if I stay and a nice pay increase to go with it.....

Its crazy that I am going to say NO, and turn away a job that will now pay $68 hr...

Oh well you only live once and I want to live in AZ.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Smart move.  We have lower wages but cost of living is also low.  I paid $1.27 for gas today and that's up from $1.12 a week ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well.. My employer offered me a promotion for an upper lvl management if I stay and a nice pay increase to go with it.....

Its crazy that I am going to say NO, and turn away a job that will now pay $68 hr...

Smart move.  We have lower wages but cost of living is also low.  I paid $1.27 for gas today and that's up from $1.12 a week ago.

Fuck. $2.05 here in the middle of nowhere......
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid a $1.57 here in Prescott two days ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. With the cost of living, even though I'm making slightly more than half what I did in Michigan, I'm damn close to breaking even with what I made there, all things considered.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yep. With the cost of living, even though I'm making slightly more than half what I did in Michigan, I'm damn close to breaking even with what I made there, all things considered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gas is $2.01 over here.

At any rate, I have been talking to someone seeing if they want to go in to businesses together. Maybe open a small engineering company, that way I don't have to deal with finding a job and then dealing with being a newbie..

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I moved here from the midwest in 2010 and have yet to regret it.  Queen Creek is definitely a developing area with houses in that price range.  However, QC is just about as far away from Phoenix as you can get and still be considered a suburb.  It's way, way out there.  As some people have said, if you're going to live down there and commute even just over to Chandler you're looking at 30 minutes easy without traffic.
View Quote

Yep. I have a good friend that lives in QC and its 35 miles to go see him from our hacienda just north of South Mountain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top