Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:55:59 AM EDT
How bad do they suck?

For the last week... My Cox internet had been down more than it has been up. It seems to have worse problems at night. I have tried swapping modems. I have had service techs come out. Typically when they arrive.. the problem resolves itself before they even arrive... so they never catch the cause of this intermittent problem. Tomorrow will be the 4th time someone has come out for this damn issue.

So I am seriously thinking of dropping Cox. I have no other option. Cox simply isnt working... AT ALL.

Any service is better than no service. Seriously this fucking sucks!!! My only internet connection for the last week has been Verizon...and I dont have unlimited data!!!

If they dont fix this shit.... they are losing a 4.5 year customer.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is you will be going from one bad to another bad provider. Just fired centurylink because they suck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My opinion is you will be going from one bad to another bad provider. Just fired centurylink because they suck.
View Quote
Cox is providing almost no service.

Are there any other alternatives in the valley?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
When it is working what are your download speeds?
Does it fail at peak usage times (evenings) but always OK on off hours (early morning)? If yes then it is most likely a network bandwidth issue and not something a tech is going to fix in your house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Cox neighborhood issues are a pain in the ass, but you are going from bad to even worse moving to cenlink.

You need to keep calling cox and escalating your call, get  your trouble ticket number and keep calling. You are going to have to repeat yourself many, many times but once you get to the higher tier they will start doing monitoring on your line from the NOC and start a chain of diagnostics.

You have to remember, the reason why 99% of the time you have to deal with the line readers at tier 1 support is because people dont have their shit plugged in, they have broken computers or otherwise have something else stupid.

Something else to think about is the temps this week have been higher then normal, how is your cable routing from the cox box on your wall to the inside? Is the cabling running outside on a south wall? etc.

Ive been on cox at five different addresses, three different business accounts and use their highest tier for 15 years. It may be a shit sandwich some times but there is nothing really better in the valley (when it works.)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Replace your router before you switch services. Techs aren't trained to troubleshoot routers, only modems and lines.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Pingplotter Standard has a 30 day free trial version. Set it up on your computer, and ping out to 8.8.8.8 (google dns server.).

Save the logs to show Cox when it drops off line, and where.

I've seen a bad connection upstream cause the problem, and showing them that 10.10.xx.xx goes off line, and then comes back helped prove it wasn't on my side of the demarc.

But if the connection dies at the 192.168.x.x side, it could indeed be your router.

Cox is still 100x better than CenturyLink. You could try HughesNet, or a microwave antenna, but I doubt you'll get as good a bang for your buck.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had great luck with century link. I dropped cox for the same reason as you....lots of random outages and poor customer service. It was always the same story...replace your modem  

Been withh century link for 6 years and never had an outage. I also have their prism service and it's been very stable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
We were  chasing a internet issue for almost a year. They  rewired our internet and cable IN our house and from the hard line in the street to the house. That didn't fix it. They gave us $400 modem and  router ($800 total) that didn't fix it. Come to find out, someone was downloading  illegal stuff and using no a LOT of the band with in the area. After all that and finding no fault of ours or theirs, they still let us keep all the gear AND gave us a years Internet and premium cable. So I know it's  frustrating as all hell but keep putting service tickets in and one time they will get there while the issue is happening and they will figure it out. Then when all is said and done ask them for a credit for the time you were without service.

Jon
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The tech came out again today... and he said apparently the "filter" was bad. As soon as he replaced it, the issue has resolved.

Well... now it's just a waiting game to see if it goes out *AGAIN* tonight. I was quite fortunate that the internet was still down when he came around... as this is/was (fingers' crossed) an intermittent problem. Hard to diagnose something that appears "stable" when you actually work on it... only for it to go to shit when you arent there to see what's going on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Now I've heard it all: someone wanting to switch to Century Link. I have it and hate them with a passion. Unfortunately they're the only option besides satellite in my area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
My Sister lives in Peoria and has Century Link and has had nothing but trouble with it for about 8 months.  Her download speed is 1.30 MBPS and upload is .70 MBPS.  She was thinking of going to Cox but I guess I will tell her what I 've been reading here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Now I've heard it all: someone wanting to switch to Century Link. I have it and hate them with a passion. Unfortunately they're the only option besides satellite in my area.
View Quote

Me Too - I can believe certain areas in the larger valley have issues with COX - I did back in 1986.  They couldn't deliver any kind of Signal in my neighborhood.  It would be there and then it would be gone.  In fact I went out and bought a 10' dish - so my family could watch some TV.  

But after 3 years, they got their act together and have been good for 25 years.  

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll 2nd the Centurylink is a bad decision.  We had them for 2 years.  They did not bury the cables and critters kept chewing through them.  Internet was down on a weekly basis and their customer service blew chunks (But honestly any revolving door customer service department does).  Keep on Cox.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My Sister lives in Peoria and has Century Link and has had nothing but trouble with it for about 8 months.  Her download speed is 1.30 MBPS and upload is .70 MBPS.  She was thinking of going to Cox but I guess I will tell her what I 've been reading here.
View Quote

On Cox's worst day, you will never see speeds like that.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#15]

i absolutely fucking HATE century link
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]

This, We had some problems with Cox and switched. This was about a year and a half ago.

Century Link was so bad that we would call in our problems and they would text us when our tech was supposed to be there.

We sat home one afternoon waiting. Then got a text saying our tech had just finished our house and our problem was fixed.

Nope, Problem still there. Tech never came to the door. Called and ripped into customer service for that one. Told them we were done.

Went back to Cox. I'd like to cancel TV and phone and just keep internet, but that might upset the wife.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]
just ran a speed test on our COX account i got 91 down and 12 up.  about time
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Get Century Link and you will not believe that Cox customer service was actually competent by comparison.  That said, it does seem to work decent enough once you get it setup.   However, it seems to go down for a couple minutes every day around 11PM.

It is definitely slower, but nearly all websites throttle your speed so you in the real world, its not really a big difference.

At my prior address, I started to have a ton of issues with the internet, especially when it rained.  Going from a separate phone line to one through the router mostly solved it.  Tech said interference was a common issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top