Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 12:37:40 AM EDT
Getting close to retirement and was thinking about providing NRA certified training to supplement pension but not sure if it's worth the time. I've attended through out my LEO career (approaching 20 years-NRA certified in both LEO, agency Instructor, and civilian marksmanship) all varieties of firearms' training, and participated in competitive shooting (entire office filled with trophies, medals, and some boxed in the garage) just as long; at the national and international level representing the agency. I don't want to provide mass training like the majority of training classes I see these days, rather provide quality training on a smaller scale such as personal trainers provide at the gym. You don't need to send thousands of rounds down range in two days to be proficient in the use of a firearm. Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
My thoughts is that many people are ignorant and think just having a gun and any round of ammo will do. They have no considerations of over penetrating and not realizing just how important marksmanship  and training can be because each miss has a lawyer attached to that bullet.

Just my $.02 cents.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
After teaching one NRA Basic Pistol class to 12 people I knew from work, I learned Id prefer something like what you're talking about, one on one training.

Sure, Ill make less money, but it can be fun when you discover the students actually learning something.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe providing that personable 1:1 quality firearms' training with sound principle techniques; a good quality base of clientele could be achieved. The potential customers would reap the benefits of this training and their confidence and skill level would improve at a higher rate then those taught in mass. All too often, when I would instruct large classes of my peers there would be that sense of lost in translation. To rectify this issue, I would breakdown the class into smaller manageable groups and assign instructors (skillset strengths) who would teach a specific technique and the groups would rotate through this training cycle, and then the class would end as a group to bring all what they've learned into their final practical. This method of training my peers has been very successful and rewarding, especially when my peers pass along how myself and my training staff have given them that tactical edge. My response, It was their warrior mindset and confidence that got them through their shift and safely home, my staff and I just merely provided them a refined product  and motivational mindset to succeed. That's my reward!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top