Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 7:47:27 PM EDT
I've got 2 nights booked on the White Rim Road, Oct 19-20th, and my second just backed out.

Anyone interested in coming?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
sure man,  swing down and grab me....I'll be packed.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to send interested parties over to the Utah HTF...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_37/589490_Moab__Oct_19_20_.html&page=1&anc=6509549#i6509549
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Oddly Enough, I will be in Moab next week.  We will be at the Big Horn Lodge I will be driving the Big Daft Orange Truck.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, man.  You all make me a little envious.  I gotta work, and just got out of the hospital.  (This getting old stuff sucks.)
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oddly Enough, I will be in Moab next week.  We will be at the Big Horn Lodge I will be driving the Big Daft Orange Truck.
View Quote

Well shit, I wish I was still going.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just out of curiosity, how well prepped a 4X4 do you need to run the full length of the White Rim?  Would something like a stock 4wd 4Runner be OK or do you need more of a fully prepped Jeep with all the suspenion work, etc?

I used to camp at Dead Horse Point with a fifth wheel and full size PU years ago.  So I have traveled on small portions of the White Rim off of Shaefer Trail with a big truck but never went the entire way. I always wanted to go the full length with a smaller vehicle but have no desire to own a hard core 4WD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, how well prepped a 4X4 do you need to run the full length of the White Rim?  Would something like a stock 4wd 4Runner be OK or do you need more of a fully prepped Jeep with all the suspenion work, etc?

I used to camp at Dead Horse Point with a fifth wheel and full size PU years ago.  So I have traveled on small portions of the White Rim off of Shaefer Trail with a big truck but never went the entire way. I always wanted to go the full length with a smaller vehicle but have no desire to own a hard core 4WD.
View Quote

From what I understand (and I haven't run it, just researched), a stock 4Runner should be fine most of the time. They do have washouts and rockslides, etc, that can make it impossible for anything not built by Caterpillar, though.

I was trying to get a buddy to bring a Tahoe and would have had no heartburn about it. (Though he would have had me along...)

All the permit said was something to the effect of 'Low-range capable 4x4', though it was specific as to 'NOT AWD'.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. From the short distances I've traveled on it most any 4x4 would have been fine. However, since theres well over 100 miles on the trail I'm sure there might to be some tougher parts.
I really want to run it as I really do like the canyon country up there in Southern Utah.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. From the short distances I've traveled on it most any 4x4 would have been fine. However, since theres well over 100 miles on the trail I'm sure there might to be some tougher parts.
I really want to run it as I really do like the canyon country up there in Southern Utah.
View Quote

From what I've been told, there's 3 spots that can get hairy, but if the weather has been decent none of them are bad.

I was going to drag my trailer along, so it's not like I was that worried. (Though it'll go anywhere I can make the turns)

If you ever want to go up, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From what I've been told, there's 3 spots that can get hairy, but if the weather has been decent none of them are bad.

I was going to drag my trailer along, so it's not like I was that worried. (Though it'll go anywhere I can make the turns)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will let you know to see if we can schedule something. I guess either the late spring or the early fall would be the best times.

That's something I've always wanted to do and it'd be nice to run it with other vehicles coming along rather than going it solo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top