Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 1:28:10 PM EDT
Unfortunately I wasn't drawn for any fur-bearing table fare, but I did get drawn for turkey up in 12a. Got there Thursday afternoon, set up camp, and then drove around to check springs/trick tanks/water holes. Saw lots of turkey tracks and poops at a couple water holes near our camp, all of which looked very fresh. We also decided to walk some ridges to see if we could glass any birds moving to get an idea of where they were moving from that afternoon. Didn't see any moving, so we headed back to camp and put together a plan. Morning came, sat a couple holes but nothing. No problem, maybe they are hitting the water on the way back to roost. Started driving around to check areas and came across our first herd. It was a decent size herd of 10-12. Jumped out of the truck, grabbed my gun in a feeble attempt to hopefully get a shot off before they moved out of range... no such luck. At least we know there are birds in our immediate area. Drove around some more and saw tons of deer, mostly does, fawns, and forked. We did come across a nice 5 point. Went back to camp for lunch, then headed out again to check some other areas. Came across a smaller herd of 6-8 birds, but they were too far so no real attempt to corner them and get a shot off. On our way back to camp we sat the water hole where we saw signs, but nothing came in. Next morning we headed back to the area where we saw the first herd and was going to set up and see if they came back.... in route I saw a couple smaller birds out of the corner of my eye run right in front of the truck, thought they were chicks so we jumped out with our guns.... nailed one! But they weren't turkey, they were grouse.

Did some more driving and checking areas and came across a lone turkey about 15 - 20 yards off the road. I jumped out using a blue spruce as cover to hopefully close in on it before it turned and ran. It worked. Drilled this big girl.....

Awesome time in a beautiful area. Tagged out and got a bonus bird.

I hope all of you that are out fill your tags.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome Dusky! I am hoping to be up there shooting some over holloween when I assist with the deer check station with my class

Congrats on the turkey also, awesome looking bird!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Congratulations, looks like you had a great time!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
that looks like fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top