Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2015 1:06:41 PM EDT
AZ Gents,

I'm headed to AZ next weekend with some friends, and we have a decked out jeep rented for 4 days.  We intend to stop by the grand canyon (have people on the trip who haven't seen it) and Antelope Canyon.  Are there any other places we should definitely go see?  Can we park and camp on any land marked as national forest?

Is there a good online source for statewide maps?

Any must do 4X4 trails?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Broken Arrow in Sedona is a great one that is close enough to the Grand Canyon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The back road to crown king is a great trip then you can stay in a cabin up there and drink beer at the salon
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The back road to crown king is a great trip then you can stay in a cabin up there and drink beer at the salon
View Quote

I like getting drunk after having my hair done too.. it completes the night.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some funny shit right there.

Schnebly hill road is a cool drive from I-17 to Sedona.  You'll see some pink jeeps out there, so you will know you're in the right area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Camping on NF land is allowed but you must stay within 300ft of the road. You cannot "blaze a trail" back to a camp site. You can park in areas already being used as camp spots or park and hike back to your spot.
All "improved" sites with ramadas, picnic tables, grills and such are fee areas and require paying a fee, at least in the Tonto NF.
How far south are you going in AZ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, a few notes...
Grand Canyon, Great Idea.  It is spectacular.

Back way to Crown King.  If this is a rental, check to see if it has "Arizona Pinstriping"  if it does, you can do this, if not and the paint looks good, you may get dinged for striping their paint.  It is also a long day.  Also, if you don't do a lot of 4 Wheeling, skip ALL the obstacles.

Broken Arrow, Sedona.  This is the BEST trail in the state.  It is short, but it is a ton of fun.  From a quick climb to Submarine Rock, to Chicken Point to the playground, there is just more and more rock crawling fun.

There are numerous other trails in Sedona, Oak Creek Homestead leads down to the creek and is a great spot to hang out
Greasy Spoon is just a really rough and rocky road, same as Schnebley Hill, but at least you have views on Schnebley.

There are TONS of fireroads all over the place, the Mogollon Rim is a spectacular drive over above Payson on road 303 Rimroad.  There are even a few lakes up there.  Fantastic views from the cliffs.

Tonto Natural Arch for when you feel like hiking down and see a really cool natural cave.

Many many more...  Table Mesa, Montezuma's well, Honank and Palatki Ruins. Two guns and the Apache Death Cave.

This is all stuff in the northern part of the state.  Heck, come to Prescott, a great little town.

If you want, I have run every one of these, multiple times.  I can show you the routes.

Edited to add, there are trails up by Flagstaff as well as the Lava Tube, a natural cavern you can go hike in.  There is also the Original Grand Canyon Airport, and abandoned airport near the canyon.  Also Peach SPrings, there is the only road down into the GC and you can park your rig right at the water line of the Colorado River.

Freaking TONS of things to see

Like by Ash Fork, an old crumbling section of the original route 66, a steel dam and Johnson's tunnel, an old railway tunnel.

Second Edit.  If you are going to be by Page, AZ, you can also see Horseshoe Bend and you have to go all the way out to Alstrom Point and Lone Rock.  Alstrom for the cliffs and Lone rock for the beach.

Holy crap, lots of stuff I keep thinking about.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you renting from Barlow's?

I also second the Grand Canyon airport / Red Butte airport.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#9]
A pic from my trip to the airfield

Colorado River, in the Grand Canyon

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Great info!
I need to check out ALL these places.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If your going to be by antelope canyon why not go to the north rim.
You can drive your jeep right to the edge of some of the scenic views and camp if you want.
Also there's a nice slot canyon called buck skin wash you can hike if you park at wire trail pass.
Hoseshoe bend is right upside page and is worth the short hike to see.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Its not a trail, but its a really nice road to drive. Take the bck road from Flagstaff to Sedona through Oak Creek. After Sedona, you can work your way to Jerome. Lots of hippies and bikers everywhere, but its really neat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
We checked out Broken Arrow trail in Sedona today. Great place!

Video using 'crawl control'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_tPvp1Yug

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]

What exactly is that supposed to do?

I just toss the Jeep in low --> 2nd is about right, and let her idle down that.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Once activated it takes care of the gas or brakes all you do is steer.

I usually would also put it in low and go up or down obstacles but this feature works well. I was surprised.

Just another electronic gadget :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top