Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 12:56:35 PM EDT
2003 Buick Century. 3.1 engine.
Overheating.
Head gasket/intake manifold gasket problem.
Shop suggestions please!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the common GM V6 intake manifold gasket defect.  Not in north central Phoenix, but well regarded.  Dave's Auto.  NW corner of 51st Ave and Peoria in Glendale.  That's 1 mile west of the Phoenix city limits.  Dave's is an AAA award repair shop in business for many years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys have always done right by me.   Even found used parts for my daughter's car when they knew she could not afford new.  

Rob's Quality Automotive

11801 N Cave Creek Rd

Phoenix, AZ 85020
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Been taking my Lexus LS430 to Toyomotors on Bell Rd at 28th St. for several years. Got much better service there than I ever did at the Lexus dealership. Enterprise rental car right next door if you need one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the common GM V6 intake manifold gasket defect.  Not in north central Phoenix, but well regarded.  Dave's Auto.  NW corner of 51st Ave and Peoria in Glendale.  That's 1 mile west of the Phoenix city limits.  Dave's is an AAA award repair shop in business for many years.
View Quote

I'll 2nd Dave's.  Done great work for me and everyone I've referred.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-az/mip/t-c-auto-service-1333095

this guy works on all my vehicles: Tom A.

T & C Auto Service

21629 N 9th Ave,

Phoenix, AZ 85027

(623) 869-9091

almost within sight of the gate to deer valley airport.

He has been an active High Power competition shooter, and very good at it.

Poole
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
9 times out of 10 when you over heat a 3.1 bad enough to need head gaskets ,you will be better off walking away from the car or putting another engine in . If it were a 3.8 you might have a chance , but 3.1's are junk after being overheated as bad as you did . And if you chase it and do the repair , in less than 5 or 6 thousand  miles it will bite you in the ass. And if you choose to try the repair you will have to send both heads out to a good machine shop and if they are not cracked you will need to do a valve job and have them decked /resurfaced B4 reinstalling them . Between the cost of parts and labor I figure it will cost you $700.00 to $1000.00 to do it right . IMHO never put more than half what a car is worth in repairs in an old car .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top