Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 12:43:37 PM EDT
So I came across everything I need to construct an adequate clearing barrel (according to mil standard). The sole purpose of it is to test ammunition for function but I don't want to upset my neighbors or violate any laws that prevent doing such testing. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I came across everything I need to construct an adequate clearing barrel (according to mil standard). The sole purpose of it is to test ammunition for function but I don't want to upset my neighbors or violate any laws that prevent doing such testing. Does anyone have any insight into this?
View Quote

If done in your garage with the door closed and a barrel designed to trap some/most of the noise so no one can identify it as a 'gun shot' the I see no problem.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If done in your garage with the door closed and a barrel designed to trap some/most of the noise so no one can identify it as a 'gun shot' the I see no problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to say yes to it being silent but I don't want to give him fuel to call the cops on me, as we generally don't get along. Makes me very jealous of your location Rich
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I want to say yes to it being silent but I don't want to give him fuel to call the cops on me, as we generally don't get along. Makes me very jealous of your location Rich
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you can find some loud machinery (lawn mower, motorcycle) to run during your testing. I know this works from experience as I don't live in AZ all of the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Two of the Arizona Statutes that are applicable to firearms being discharged are:

Unlawful Discharge, A.R.S. Section 13-3107

Disorderly Conduct, A.R.S. Section 13-2904 (A)(6)
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy who shoots off of his porch or from his garage...and all that land...

Damn I am so jealous, is it two years yet!?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Says the guy who shoots off of his porch or from his garage...and all that land...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember I spent 50+ years living in purgatory and I still can't shoot in my yard 48 out of 52 weeks of the year.

Hopefully it is only 18 months until I make parole and breath free air.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just remember I spent 50+ years living in purgatory and I still can't shoot in my yard 48 out of 52 weeks of the year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After 18 months, this calls for a freedom bbq and shoot day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Two of the Arizona Statutes that are applicable to firearms being discharged are:

View Quote

After reading those it seems like a grey area. Building a .mil spec clearing barrel would seem to be NOT negligent. And if the neighbor cant hear it it seems like it would only be illegal if it disturbed someone? Thats my take on it. So uhh dont ask dont tell? Lol. But definitely post pics when its done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After reading those it seems like a grey area. Building a .mil spec clearing barrel would seem to be NOT negligent. And if the neighbor cant hear it it seems like it would only be illegal if it disturbed someone? Thats my take on it. So uhh dont ask dont tell? Lol. But definitely post pics when its done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only problem I'm encountering right now is a stand to keep it at a 45° angle. I'm loading up the reloading kit to take to the class tomorrow, so it'll have to wait until Monday.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
How much space do you have? How big is the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How much space do you have? How big is the barrel?
View Quote

It's a standard 55 gallon drum.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I would be concerd about someone calling the police thinking there's a shooting going on. Or maybe a neighbor coming to the rescue with a gun
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Harbor Freight compressor and have it running.  A little gun fire would go unnoticed compared to the horrific sounds coming from the compressor.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would be concerd about someone calling the police thinking there's a shooting going on. Or maybe a neighbor coming to the rescue with a gun
View Quote

I doubt hea gonna be firing more than maybe 1 or 2 at a time. Lol. Just function testing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I doubt hea gonna be firing more than maybe 1 or 2 at a time. Lol. Just function testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... per weapon system maybe
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please ignore, I replied to wrong message.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a bunch of firecrackers.  Light one off in front yard whenever neighbor is out front like its just something you like to do from time to time.  After a while of this he will just assume whenever there's a bang its you playing with firecraxkers
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what determines an 'underground range'.  Could I dig a trench and shoot just below the level of the surrounding ground?  Could I bury my bullet trap?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wonder what determines an 'underground range'.  Could I dig a trench and shoot just below the level of the surrounding ground?  Could I bury my bullet trap?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say now, I think you're onto something. Want to see if your HD loads supressed work? Clearing barrels + sand + ballistic gel + can =

Edit: I need to stop posting until my newest addition arrives here on the 5th for post 7,000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top