Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
Howdy all,
Relocating to AZ from Central Texas in September.
Looking at house rentals in S Scottsdale, Gilbert or Chandler area as we have checked these areas out and I will be working in Tempe. Wanting to stay within 30 minutes from Tempe.

With this said- any reason why I should choose one location over the other? All within 20 minutes from each other, but just wondering.

Obviously into things that go bang since im here-
here in TX I usually do BBQ competition, shooting outdoors(have not shot indoors since my CHL renewal a few years ago), knives. Also into cigars and pipes(have been to ye old pipe and tobacco which was great).

No kids, so schools are not an issue.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
consider ahwatukee or west side chandler. both great areas and  the commute will be shorter
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
consider ahwatukee or west side chandler. both great areas and  the commute will be shorter
View Quote

I'd definitely 2nd the above and tell you to look into Ahwatukee.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Chandler ftw.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate F'in Chandler with the speed traps and red light cameras everywhere.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
single or married?   Tukee might be a bit lame for a single guy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you aren't speeding and running red lights it helps lol

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I drive a Toyota..so speeding is not an issue lol.
Married- here in TX I live in the suburbs and am very content and dont need much to keep myself entertained.

In terms of burglaries and break-ins- they should all be neck and neck right? Will be setting up a security camera, but thats probably my biggest concern.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Chandler has red light cameras? Since when? I've driven all over that city and never seen one. Must never hit that intersection.

Speed traps? How can you get caught speeding between each fucking red light, street after street? Can't get up to speed!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Only about 15 of them . Mostly down Arizona Ave and alma school. And a couple on Ray rd and chandler.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I drive a Toyota..so speeding is not an issue lol.
Married- here in TX I live in the suburbs and am very content and dont need much to keep myself entertained.

In terms of burglaries and break-ins- they should all be neck and neck right? Will be setting up a security camera, but thats probably my biggest concern.
View Quote

Ahwautkee is gonna be your safer city. But west side chandler is nice . gilbert is safer too..but the commute is a bit longer and prices are about the same at Tukee
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd feel equally safe in any of those places   there is only little pockets of ghetto in any east side city.  

Chandler has a ghetto area downtown but its very small compared o the 250k population. If you don't live near downtown Chandler and az ave your not going to have any more crime than anywhere else.

Chandler also has the lowest taxes and utilities and the Chandler PD are on point.  Whenever I have called to report something g response time has been within a minute or two

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys,great insight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
No one has mentioned the ammo tax yet?

Y'all are slippin' and in before Rizzo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Gilbert is a nice family-oriented, safe/low-crime, CONSERVATIVE city.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, I'm a N Scottsdaler but if I had to pick another valley city it'd be Gilbert.  Ahwatukee and Chandler wouldn't make the list unless you're looking for a double wide or drop house.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Agreed, I'm a N Scottsdaler but if I had to pick another valley city it'd be Gilbert.  Ahwatukee and Chandler wouldn't make the list unless you're looking for a double wide or drop house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought about moving to Gilbert but all the houses under half a million dollars are in tiny lots ten feet from each other look the same and are HOA nazi neighborhoods.  I can't deal with all that. 70 percent of Chandler is just as nice and I only get bitched at by the city if I let my weeds get out of control.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Moved here recently and it was the right choice in hindsight by a longshot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I personally like south Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#20]
on to something more important....

Phoenix is a GREAT place for a shooter!

from tempe you drive east 30 mins to get to Rio Salado and west 30 mins or so to get to PRGC
http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/
http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

Ben avery https://azgfdportal.az.gov/Shooting/BASF is about 45 mins or a bit more on a quiet weekend morning much more on a weekday evening.
central to north scottsdale puts you about equidistant between all 3.

just out of curiosity, what company? where in Tempe? the Tempe company I work for currently is based in Austin....

Poole

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I personally like south Scottsdale.
View Quote
The older brick homes around there are really nice. A lot of them have big deep swimming pools as well rather than the little kid pools that new homes come with that are like taking a hot batch three months of the summer

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#22]
That is whats up Billpool!

Any places with tac bays around? I am willing to drive for sure. Also, wanting to drive out to the desert somewhere and set up a few steel targets.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Ahwatukee for sure, good place, whats your budget?  Have a 4300 sq foot home in Harbor Island in Lakewood, has a huge basement, pool, huge back yard, 3 bathrooms, 4 bed, 3 car garage, absolutely beautiful for 530k, house hit over a million when the market was up in 08, my pops put in a 5 ton ac unit for the middle and upper level and a 3 ton for the basement, both Trane units.  This is the premier neighborhood in Lakewood as well. Everything has been moved out of it and its ready for move in, shoot me a PM if you want to see it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I just moved from CT to AZ. Currently renting a house in Gilbert and we love it so far. Been here about 3 weeks. Tempe is only a 20min drive for me depending on what time of the day it is. I work in Chandler and have about a 25min commute but luckily I work nights so I avoid the traffic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just moved from CT to AZ. Currently renting a house in Gilbert and we love it so far. Been here about 3 weeks. Tempe is only a 20min drive for me depending on what time of the day it is. I work in Chandler and have about a 25min commute but luckily I work nights so I avoid the traffic.
View Quote
No DanTSX groupie fuckery please in our HTF.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh, I go to Tinder Box in Ahwatukee for my pipe tobacco. They have a very large humidor but a while back Jeff sold stock and is taking a very long time to replenish it. Not sure what's going on there but I stick to the pipe section anyways.

I've open carried in there and met a couple OC'ers in there as well
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your don't have to worry about that. I don't post all that much if you can't tell. I mean you joined after me and have over 10x the post count as I do lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your don't have to worry about that. I don't post all that much if you can't tell. I mean you joined after me and have over 10x the post count as I do lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interneting is serious business

Looking forward to seeing you new folk at our next shoot, We do HTF shoots as well as starting a quarterly precision shoots.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#29]
good deal.
my Savage 308 and Savage 300 WM will be coming along of course.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]
the 2 member-run clubs allow individual member access to the bays after you become a regular, shooting in the practical divisions and get approved.

you gotta drive a loooong ways into the desert/mountains to get away from city limits and no-shooting signs, and weather-justified fire restrictions but once there, you can do a lot of shooting! (just clean up everything!)

Poole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top