Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 11:23:53 AM EDT
Hey Guys!

I'm new to the area and couldn't be happier.  After much planning, my lady and I pulled off a successful escape from Queens, NY and landed in Tucson for good last weekend.

I just received my new AZ driver's license and am already looking into applying for my CCW permit.  I'm actually not too far from Tucson Guns on Broadway but they only offer an 8hr course once a month. I see rumors online of a 1hr course.  Can anyone recommend a reputable (and cheap) place to take the shorter course?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AZ and the land of the free.

Take a full day CCW class from a reputable instructor. You'll be glad you did if you ever have to use force against anyone. And once that is done, get more training and then practice what you learned until you are 100% confident in your abilities. Then repeat that cycle.

In Tucson for a CCW class, take a look at Gator Farm Tactical, run by Dan Southard who is a member here (threefeathers). You should also take a look at Independence Training.

Cheap and reputable are typically not two words I associate with each other.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't want the shortest/cheapest CCW class. That's like trying to take the shortest skydiving course.

I can personally recommend Rizzo's course (he's Independence Training). His is an excellent class, as are all of his classes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't want the shortest/cheapest CCW class. That's like trying to take the shortest skydiving course.

I can personally recommend Rizzo's course (he's Independence Training). His is an excellent class, as are all of his classes.
View Quote

+1

Knowing the law is rarely more important than during a possibly lethal situation. I have taken the Independence Training Basic Handgun/CCW course and highly recommend it. I don't have any personal experience with the other courses Rizzo listed, but I trust his recommendations and would not hesitate to give any of them a try.

I am also located in Tucson, so if you need anything feel free to send me an IM and I'll see if I can be of any help.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ijust left a week with Mas Ayoob taking a 5 day class on Defending Arizona citizen in court when they are involved with the defense of themselves or another innocent person.  Detective Sgt Brian Kowolski will have a great class at SERP in a week or two (I'm at SEATAC now) A bunch of people here have taken that course.  Call Pima County Parks and Rec and register with Lisa.  This course is worth your time.  We are good personal friends with Mas and if needed we will get him involved in your case.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheap and quick firearms training is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi, my instructor who will join me next week I Brian K.  He is a Detective Sergeant of a large metropolitan agency in Southern Az.  He is an arfcommer who has survived several fun fights.  He was instrumental in the defense of Larry Hickey when we got Mas Ayoob involved also.  Brian has attended at least 15 instructor training schools ranging from ILEETA to Tom Givens advanced instructor school.  Brian was also one of Rizzo's instructors at his MAG 40.  This is an excellent class.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Brian does a very good job with CCW classes,  you can't go wrong with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top