Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 1:41:58 PM EDT
I was in a wedding last weekend and I met a lot of really nice folks from out of state. One of them had a full NY state carry permit, he said it was the best one a citizen could get. He wants an AZ CCW now and was wondering if having the NY permit got him out of any steps of the process of getting an AZ permit.

?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Here

He submits a copy of his NY CCW when applying for the AZ CCW

I have taken a number of firearms-related courses. Can I show proof of firearms-competence by providing one of these completion certificates or documents?
ARS 13-3112(N)(1-8) allows exemptions. Please research the statute to see if they may qualify.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
First post nailed it.

Still recommend a class though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]

...Anything for the tax money.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was in a wedding last weekend and I met a lot of really nice folks from out of state. One of them had a full NY state carry permit, he said it was the best one a citizen could get. He wants an AZ CCW now and was wondering if having the NY permit got him out of any steps of the process of getting an AZ permit.

?
View Quote

Tell him in this free state he doesn't need one !
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have my Utah and Colorado permits.  I just sent a photo copy of my Utah permit along with the fee, fingerprints and forms.  They sent me my nice shiny new Arizona permit.  No class needed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to highjack the thread, but does the AZ CWP still replace a NICS check?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to highjack the thread, but does the AZ CWP still replace a NICS check?
View Quote

Yes, in Arizona with Arizona residency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top