Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 5:48:10 AM EDT
Not gun related, but I work in a fleet truck shop and would like to have the rails from my SnapOn tool box either painted (automotive quality, VictorGonzales?) or anodized. My toolbox itself is flat black and the rails are currently anodized black. I'm kind of an attention getter and want to change the anodized black to a hot pink for the shock value (even though nobody there would be too terribly surprised). Due to the grease/solvents/oils these rails are subject to, the finish needs to be durable and cleanable. There are 11 total pieces that would be painted/anodized. The two longest pieces are ~50" long. Below is a stock photo of my model box. The horizontal chrome pieces are the rails I'm talking about. Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking Cerakote.More durable than paint, hard finish, resistant to solvents, available in a bunch of colors.

Cerakote Chemical Resistance Test
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Anodizing is for aluminum alloys only. Are you sure the rails are aluminum? I doubt they would anodize rails for a toolbox.....probably a very well done baked epoxy finish.
Also, anodizing is not just a "finish" or "coating".........its a chemical process done to the alloy, not simple and cheap like a spray on finish--which it sounds like you need. As said above, Cerakote  is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking Cerakote.More durable than paint, hard finish, resistant to solvents, available in a bunch of colors.

View Quote

I considered this as well, in fact even tossed the idea out there to a few coworkers who also thought Cerakote would be a viable route too.

So.... does anybody have a lead on a place that would/can do that for me?

And yes, AZ-Dave, the rails are in fact aluminum.

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I considered this as well, in fact even tossed the idea out there to a few coworkers who also thought Cerakote would be a viable route too.

Thanks,
Matt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Matt

X-Werks
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, I sent x-werx a message via FB since that seems to be their "website."

Matt
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I sent x-werx a message via FB since that seems to be their "website."

Matt
View Quote

They do high quality work. I've done a couple of jobs through them, and have not been disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top