Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 4:59:01 PM EDT
First thanks in advance for any recommendations you guys might be able to offer.

I would prefer to not get into any details at this time. The general situation is as follows; the widow of a very dear friend of mine needs help in perhaps selling some of her husbands guns. There are some that she would like to keep. I am not sure of how many or what makes/models/calibers/gauges. He was a retired Navy Chief.

Can any of you guys in the Tucson area give me (and her) recommendations for an FFL or other knowledgeable person that can be trusted to not take advantage of her lack of knowledge? It is a shame but there are guys out there who would take advantage of someone in her situation.

Thanks again and S/F,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done more than a few of those, what part of Tucson?
I'm in Florence and wouldn't mind the drive if it's not way out on the South side.
And yeah, I'm a 02FFL/03SOT.

ETA:
It is a shame but there are guys out there who would take advantage of someone in her situation.
View Quote

Yup, know the type well, had a scumbag FFL out of Chandler offer an older lady $700 for her departed husbands collection.
Turned out he was a competition shooter for the Navy and won the Nimitz Cup, in his collection were 4 AMF barreled .308 Garands including a McCoy match, 3 Colt .45 match pistols, a S&W 41, and Remington 720 still in box.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have her list the guns and send pictures of them. Do some research and find the value for her  .  odds are too good someone will try and screw her over if she doesn't walk in with a general idea of what they are worth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thunderstick Trading Company

290-8599

I've known Mike and Sandy 20+ years, they are like family.  They do quite a bit of that sort of thing and will not take advantage of the situation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
To everyone who has responded thanks very much.

I have asked her to send me photos of what he has left her. My friend had very good judgment and taste in the firearms that he had. I know he had a very nice Winchester 101 Pigeon grade O/U, a very nice Steyr Mannlicher full stock rifle (not sure as to the caliber), a Colt Python and another 14 guns. Once I can get photos and/or a list from her, I will be able to provide some additional info.

I am not sure what part of Tucson they were living in as I have not seen either of them since they moved to Tucson about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
mmmmm colt python.   bucket list handgun!

I bet Walking Dead is solely responsible for at least $1500 in extra value on the stainless models.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Why wouldvshevsell to anFFL and not do private party sales?  An FFL is a business and will pay a lot less.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why wouldvshevsell to anFFL and not do private party sales?  An FFL is a business and will pay a lot less.
View Quote

If she is selling 14 guns an FFL would possibly buy them all at one time.  An individually probably won't want the entire collection or have the cash for the collection.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If she is selling 14 guns an FFL would possibly buy them all at one time.  An individually probably won't want the entire collection or have the cash for the collection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't sell the guns to a dealer, you never even get close to what you can get through a private sale.  

You can get them appraised to find out possible value, and then you can either try to sell them yourself, or, you can put them on consignment with the dealer.  

That will cost you from 10 - 25% of the sale price depending on what you can work out with the dealer, but is much better than the usual 50 - 60% of value the dealer will pay.

Plus you don't have to go through the hassle of C/L or B/P, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Got an email from her, she wants to keep the pistols and some of the rifles. I still don't have a listing from her. She likes the 2nd Amendment. She is not familiar with firearms prices or legalities of private sales. She is not born in the USA and didn't come here until she was older. She comes from a country where private firearms ownership is very much restricted.

Thanks again for the interest in assisting and the recommendations that y'all have made.
S/F,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not post up some of the ones she's looking to get rid of here in the hometown forum. I'm sure someone might be interested in working something out. Selling to a dealer is a terrible idea
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in Florence and wouldn't mind the drive if it's not way out on the South side.

ETA:

Yup, know the type well, had a scumbag FFL out of Chandler offer an older lady $700 for her departed husbands collection.
Turned out he was a competition shooter for the Navy and won the Nimitz Cup, in his collection were 4 AMF barreled .308 Garands including a McCoy match, 3 Colt .45 match pistols, a S&W 41, and Remington 720 still in box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:
It is a shame but there are guys out there who would take advantage of someone in her situation.

Maybe that's all he had? I'm sure he'd have offered $800 if he had it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You might try asking her who her husband did business in Tucson with in regards to guns. Sometimes the gun dealer one does business with will offers more when it is time to sell.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, still waiting for her to respond with info on the guns she has. Many of his guns were acquired prior to his moving to Arizona. I remember just a few of them while he and I were stationed in West Germany together. He had more from New York state that I never saw.
Thanks to all for your assistance and interest in helping.
S/F,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

FWIW, and it may be past time now, I've known Gunslinger808 and his wife for 13 years.  They're good and honorable people who aren't out to screw anybody, much less widows who don't know what they have or understand the law.  It'll be a drive (hour or so each way?) for them to go to Tucson, but your friend will be in good hands with them.

FWIW,

Mike
Also a DD FFL/SOT, formerly in AZ and now in WI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top