View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it legal with a valid CCW?

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Is there a compliant sign on the door? ( I honestly don't know)
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link

Page 17
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Appreciate it. Does that make it illegal to CCW there?

In NV, if a store/building has a no guns policy, you can still legally carry there (gov buildings are an exception). They can only cite you for trespassing if you refuse to leave (and since concealed means concealed, how will they ever know unless you draw your firearm).

I take it that in AZ if a building posts "no firearms", that makes it illegal to carry there?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In NV, if a store/building has a no guns policy, you can still legally carry there (gov buildings are an exception). They can only cite you for trespassing if you refuse to leave (and since concealed means concealed, how will they ever know unless you draw your firearm).

I take it that in AZ if a building posts "no firearms", that makes it illegal to carry there?

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Thanks.

Gun signs on private businesses do not carry the weight of law with the exception of places that serve alcohol for on site consumption. Simple trespass if you are asked to leave and refuse. Since the convention center serves alcoholic drinks you would need to avoid those areas. I assume this will apply only if they post a no gun sign next to the liquor license as required by law.

Concealed is concealed, avoid anyplace serving booze and you should be OK.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gun signs on private businesses do not carry the weight of law with the exception of places that serve alcohol for on site consumption. Simple trespass if you are asked to leave and refuse. Since the convention center serves alcoholic drinks you would need to avoid those areas. I assume this will apply only if they post a no gun sign next to the liquor license as required by law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Thanks.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Thanks.

Why do I hear constantly conflicting reports on whether signs hold "weight of law" here in AZ and how serious a crime it is if you ignore one? I have heard that it is a big problem if you get caught carrying somewhere that has a sign.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why do I hear constantly conflicting reports on whether signs hold "weight of law" here in AZ and how serious a crime it is if you ignore one? I have heard that it is a big problem if you get caught carrying somewhere that has a sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link

Page 17

Thanks.

Unless there was a recent law change I am unaware of, ignoring private signs does not carry an automatic penalty. If asked to leave you must leave, that's it.

We have several LEOs, a former prosecuting attorney and several CCW instructors who post here perhaps one of them can confirm?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I may have carried a LCP into several venues that were posted "No Firearms".
Being a grey haired man seems to deflect the stare of the security manning the entrances since I never get a second look.
I also accidentally carried a SOG folding combat knife on a trip to Austin and back, again no interest from the TSA drones.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are 2 variations of signs:

1) some business that doesn't serve alcohol for on-site consumption posts a no guns sign of any sort, including this official one provided by the liquor dept..
Since there is no liquor license, even the official sign posted on the door is meaningless.  You can carry inside without violating any criminal statute, but must leave immediately if detected and told to leave, or you get charged with trespassing.

2) a business with on-site consumption liquor license posts the official sign immediately adjacent to the liquor license and meets all of the other requirements of the statute:
the sign must strictly comply with A.R.S. §4-229 or the validity of the sign may be
challenged.
The sign must meet the following specifications to be in compliance with A.R.S. §4-229:
• Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red
line across the firearm.
• Contain the words, "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED PURSUANT TO A.R.S. SECTION 4-229".
The letters comprising the words "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" shall be at least three fourths
of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical
inch.
• The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters
printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred
ten pound index.
• The lettering and pictogram must fill a space of at least six inches by nine inches.
Where must the “NO FIREARMS ALLOWED” sign be posted?
The sign must be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and
immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

You may legally enter a business in order to determine if there is a compliant sign.  If they are compliant, you must remove your firearm from the premises.

The way I interpret the law, they can post 20 signs in every window, which are meaningless.
I enter the business, head to the bar area, look around for a liquor license.
If it's not posted behind the bar, I continue a search around the building for it.
If I can't see the liquor license in plain sight, then I can't see a no guns sign "immediately adjacent" to it.
Therefore, legal to carry despite any other non-compliant signs they may have hanging on the front door or hosts podium.
If I can't place one hand on the liquor license and my other hand on a compliant no guns sign, then I am not in violation and my pistol will stay where it is.
I'll then decide if I'm going to give the business my money or not based on the intent they have shown with their non-compliant signs.

Red Robin is the only place I've seen a compliant no-guns sign properly posted within the law.
Everyplace else I've been have not been compliant.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Red Robin is the only place I've seen a compliant no-guns sign properly posted within the law.
Everyplace else I've been have not been compliant.
View Quote

Off topic. The Red Robin by my house used to have a sign. Then they remodeled a month or so ago. Now the sign is gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top