Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:09 PM EDT
I keep getting emails from fish and game and some other places about the proposed Grand Canyon Watershed National Monument. Looks like they want to turn most of Kaibab Nationa forest and more land into a monument. Not sure on the exact restrictions this will pose on hunters and outdoorsmen, however from what I am reading it does not look good. I am on my phone and cannot add links right now. Looks like there is until the 9th to write letters to congressman. This is a quote from one of the emails. So what does AZHTF think about this?

" Three members of our Arizona Congressional delegation recently wrote the President and asked him to use his pen to make a proclamation setting aside and designating the North Kaibab, Arizona Strip, and portions of the South Kaibab as the Grand Canyon Watershed National Monument. If he does that, over a million more acres will get a new "designation", and with it, will come new rules and restrictions impacting recreation on that land. Click here for a map of the area. "

ETA: Here is a link to the organization pushing for this and shows a map of the land that would be turned into the monument. The thing that bothers me is there is no info about what the new restrictions would be if signed and if you could still hunt on this land, target shoot, camp??? If anybody has more info please let us know. I fear they could put restrictions on the land similar to Grand Canyon National Park.

http://www.grandcanyonwatershed.org/threats
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The main push behind this is to stop uranium mining north of the Grand Canyon.  Not in the Grand Canyon where uranium deposits are eroding into the Colorado River all the time, but north of the Canyon where the uranium deposits are hundreds to thousands of feet below the surface.  The footprint of the uranium mines that exist now is small, generally more than 20 acres, consisting of a mine hoist, some buildings, and the facilities for trucks to haul the ore to Blanding, Utah.  The people pushing for this want the president to use the Antiquities Act to create the national monument by Executive Order.  Congress will have no say whatsoever in the creation of the national monument.  The monument could be managed by the BLM, the Forest Service, by both, or by the Park Service.  All the other so-called threats are just smoke and mirrors.  It's the uranium mining that gives the enviros the heartburn.  Their idea of green energy, or getting away from coal generated electricity is for us regular non-rich and non-famous people to just stop using electric power.  The uranium deposits with the highest concentration of uranium, and the easiest to mine safely in the USA are those between the Grand Canyon park boundary and the Utah state line.  The "documented problems" with uranium mining that the website mentions date back 50 or more years.  

Sending letters to congress people is not likely to matter.  Look for this national monument, and at least three more, to be created within the next 18 months.  What we want is less than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bye bye north kaibab deer hunts. I posted about this a few weeks ago here and got zero response.  Very very few folks care anymore about our hunting areas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_13/576518_obama_s_next_national_monument___north_south_kaibab.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bye bye north kaibab deer hunts. I posted about this a few weeks ago here and got zero response.  Very very few folks care anymore about our hunting areas.
View Quote

Ayup.  Evangelical vegans.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck 0bama

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Notice which 3 members contacted the emperor ?  Look at that list of supports.

Liberals abound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top