Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 7:26:34 PM EDT
I sure hope it pass's .....http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/28189562/2015/02/24/republicans-push-to-legalize-silencers-sawed-off-shotguns
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't read the bill, but some dude online was talking about it.

Essentially he said they are removing the applicable ARS that apply, and they'd just be a federal problem. Not sure if that is legit or what, haven't fact checked it.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
OP beat me to the punch

I shared this story on FB and quickly found that some of my "friends" are idiots. One said, "Yeah lets help the crime rate go up please." I fail to see how this idea would be anything but ridding our state of another useless law put into  place by people with no common sense. Personally, I wonder if this change in law would be treated by the BATFE in a similar manner that the DEA and Federal Government is treating Colorado and Washington with their marijuana legalization laws. After all, shouldn't everything "we the people" vote for against be the way of the land? I do not and have never voted, but if this were to come down to a vote, you best believe I would register to vote the very day I caught wind of such a historic voting opportunity. Plus, maybe prices would come down to a more affordable price. Maybe even more local suppressor manufacturer shops would pop up in the state due to the fact that I doubt SilencerCo or any other out-of-state silencer companies would want to do business with an AZ resident without proper ATF forms...

[/2cents]

Matt
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It's my understanding that you can already own a silencer (suppressor, whatever) as well as a short barrel shotgun in AZ, as long as you do the federal paperwork. Arizona's laws don't prevent anyone from doing this now. Am I wrong about that? If so, what is the impact of this bill, other than the provision that will allow nunchucks?

Speaking of that, does Magpul make nunchucks that I can attach to a picatinny rail system? If so, then I know what I'M getting for Christmas!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
From my layman's understanding of the bill, I believe it is about owning/possessing the stated items after having your rights restored.

Quoting what I first said about it.
#1- " Ummm... am I missing something? Suppressors, SBRs, SBS and AOWs are already legal... Edit- Ah, for when rights are restored. Interesting. "
#2- " I like how one of the opponents talking points against the Bill is "what the Daily Show will say about Arizona." Yes, because that is what truly matters... "

Anyways, me trying to read SB1460, it starts;

E. IF A PERSON’S RIGHT TO POSSESS A GUN OR FIREARM IS RESTORED PURSUANT TO SUBSECTION D OF THIS SECTION, THE PERSON MAY POSSESS:
1.  A DEVICE THAT IS DESIGNED, MADE OR ADAPTED TO MUFFLE THE REPORT OF A FIREARM.
2.  A RIFLE WITH A BARREL LENGTH OF LESS THAN SIXTEEN INCHES, OR SHOTGUN WITH A BARREL LENGTH OF LESS THAN EIGHTEEN INCHES, OR ANY FIREARM THAT IS MADE FROM A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN AND THAT, AS MODIFIED, HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN TWENTY-SIX INCHES.
3.  AN INSTRUMENT, INCLUDING A NUNCHAKU, THAT CONSISTS OF TWO OR MORE STICKS, CLUBS, BARS OR RODS TO BE USED AS HANDLES, CONNECTED BY A ROPE, CORD, WIRE OR CHAIN, IN THE DESIGN OF A WEAPON USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE PRACTICE OF A SYSTEM OF SELF-DEFENSE.”
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From my layman's understanding of the bill, I believe it is about owning/possessing the stated items after having your rights restored.

Quoting what I first said about it.
#1- " Ummm... am I missing something? Suppressors, SBRs, SBS and AOWs are already legal... Edit- Ah, for when rights are restored. Interesting. "
#2- " I like how one of the opponents talking points against the Bill is "what the Daily Show will say about Arizona." Yes, because that is what truly matters... "

Anyways, me trying to read SB1460, it starts;

E. IF A PERSON’S RIGHT TO POSSESS A GUN OR FIREARM IS RESTORED PURSUANT TO SUBSECTION D OF THIS SECTION, THE PERSON MAY POSSESS:
1.  A DEVICE THAT IS DESIGNED, MADE OR ADAPTED TO MUFFLE THE REPORT OF A FIREARM.
2.  A RIFLE WITH A BARREL LENGTH OF LESS THAN SIXTEEN INCHES, OR SHOTGUN WITH A BARREL LENGTH OF LESS THAN EIGHTEEN INCHES, OR ANY FIREARM THAT IS MADE FROM A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN AND THAT, AS MODIFIED, HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN TWENTY-SIX INCHES.
3.  AN INSTRUMENT, INCLUDING A NUNCHAKU, THAT CONSISTS OF TWO OR MORE STICKS, CLUBS, BARS OR RODS TO BE USED AS HANDLES, CONNECTED BY A ROPE, CORD, WIRE OR CHAIN, IN THE DESIGN OF A WEAPON USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE PRACTICE OF A SYSTEM OF SELF-DEFENSE.”
View Quote

I thought that too, but they would still have to apply under federal guide lines, and I'm not sure ATF would allow it....

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/52leg/1r/adopted/1460ward809.doc.htm&Session_ID=114
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I already have Nunchaku "nunchuks". Got them YEARS (15+) for martial arts training. I also have suppressors. So I must be missing something. Seems like a waist of time since we would still have to go through the feds.

Jon
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of the idea is that recreational marijuana use has been legalized on the state level (and DC as well) and the feds aren't doing anything regarding enforcement so there is precedence re:state law superseding federal law.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of the idea is that recreational marijuana use has been legalized on the state level (and DC as well) and the feds aren't doing anything regarding enforcement so there is precedence re:state law superseding federal law.
View Quote

The Federal Government may overlook a lot of things, but I doubt tax collection will ever be one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top