Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 10:22:25 PM EDT
Any ideas for a 17 year old? Wish I could work in a gun shop or a training facility even just being a helping hand but due to my age I dont think thats possible. The outdoors are my second passion so I was looking at a Sport Chalet or Dick's but curious if you guys have any ideas before I start applying. In the middle of EMT school during the day 12-2:30 which always screws up schedules when applying. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to see a 17 year old willing to work - especially in this day and age.   Keep showing that incentive and it will take you places.    Look, just take a job - any job that you can get in this day and age.    Businesses that wijll hire you later like to see a track record of previous work history.   Granted, it may not be your dream job of working in a gun shop, or Sportsmans, or Cabelas.    But no harm in putting applications in at those places, as you may get lucky.

On another note, fast food may not be your idea of a job, but they say that  In & Out Hamburgers pays upwards of $9.00 per hour, plus they have a great college tuition program.   May help pay for some of them EMT classes down the road.      Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What part of town are you in?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice to see a 17 year old willing to work - especially in this day and age.   Keep showing that incentive and it will take you places.    Look, just take a job - any job that you can get in this day and age.    Businesses that wijll hire you later like to see a track record of previous work history.   Granted, it may not be your dream job of working in a gun shop, or Sportsmans, or Cabelas.    But no harm in putting applications in at those places, as you may get lucky.

On another note, fast food may not be your idea of a job, but they say that  In & Out Hamburgers pays upwards of $9.00 per hour, plus they have a great college tuition program.   May help pay for some of them EMT classes down the road.      Good luck.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips. That's the route i'll go if I don't get accepted anywhere else. My last resort will be working somewhere like what you were mentioning at the end. Would I like to work there as much? No. But it would be an income which would be nice. Luckily since the way EVIT goes about stuff most of my EMT stuff is free, I don't really have to pay for much.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What part of town are you in?
View Quote

Gilbert.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Love the work ethic. I am 25 now and have been working since i was 14. Most of my friends aren't.

The best money is in the restaurant biz. I know its not on the top of your list but it can turn into serious cash. I always did retail, and it was great to learn about sales and people skills. You need a good balance of loving your job and working hard just for good measure.

The benefit of retail jobs at places you love is that you usually get good deals on the stuff there. I basically supported my cycling racing career through high school with employee pricing
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
if you have a lawn mower and a weed wacker start a lawn service company or landscape maintenance.  The mexicans charge a fortune and I wouldn't be cool with some of the shady people I see in their crews hanging around my house.  

Im fairly certain you could make 30 bucks an hour and stay busy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
My 19-year-old is about to take her EMT cert exam, EMTs don't make a lot of money here (Tucson) and she can't be a paramedic until she's 21, but she's hoping to volunteer at the local FD and be ready to go by the time she's 21 (although paramedics don't make a lot down here, either).

EMT would be a good skill to put on a resume for ANY job...

And I'll echo the attaboys from the other posters.  I've worked since I was 13.  Cleaned bathrooms and floors, answered phones, clerical crap... A job is a job is a job when you're young and single and have little to no expenses, and all the work experience you build now will make you more marketable later.  When you're 35 with two degrees and a ton of experience, then you can hold out for that dream job offer when companies start recruiting you  For now just work hard and save your money!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
if you have a lawn mower and a weed wacker start a lawn service company or landscape maintenance.  The mexicans charge a fortune and I wouldn't be cool with some of the shady people I see in their crews hanging around my house.
View Quote

I second what victorgonzales said. If you're 17 and you live with your parents, and if you're just wanting to work to get some money in your pocket, learning to start your own business as opposed to learning to work for someone else is a great idea. If you want to do something gun related, you could collect, clean and resell brass, or start a gun cleaning business (you'd have to find a legal work around that'd allow you to receive firearms at your age), or start selling accessories and maintenance supplies online or in person at or around popular shooting areas...obviously there'd be some kind of start up costs, but that's where you'd need to seek out a venture capitalist (aka, rich uncle, mom or dad) and sell them on investing in your idea. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working for someone else (maybe that's where you could get the money to fund your start up), but given your advantageous situation, you could really gain some real world experience in the job market by manufacturing your own job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked from age 14 as a groundskeeper. Yeah; it sucked, but I learned a lot about work ethic. I don't have any suggestions that differ from those already presented; but wanted to say that its GREAT to see a younger guy that's not just sitting on his ass playing video games. Good for you. It sounds like you were raised right.

Have you considered joining the Military? I would suggest USAF ;)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I worked from age 14 as a groundskeeper. Yeah; it sucked, but I learned a lot about work ethic. I don't have any suggestions that differ from those already presented; but wanted to say that its GREAT to see a younger guy that's not just sitting on his ass playing video games. Good for you. It sounds like you were raised right.

Have you considered joining the Military? I would suggest USAF ;)
View Quote

Haha that's my plan, Sorry though going Navy
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Can I ask how you arrived at your decision to join the Navy?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I see DPS is hiring for dispatchers. But at your age and experience level, the military is probably a solid move. Before you pick a branch of service, determine what you want to do with your life and let the services so what they can to accommodate that. There are a lot of cool jobs in the military, but they are ONLY in the military. Find something that you can translate to when you get out. I did 20 years and kick my ass for not going into medical...more specifically pharmaceutical.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for trying to help out with the military part but I have thought that part through quite a bit. I just heard that rural metro is reducing their age limit to 18 but that will still be a little bit off for me, I guess just something to keep in the back of my head until the time comes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The job market is not good for EMTs or paramedics. EMTs usually make around the low teens per hour and paramedics just a bit more.

If you want to go the firefighter route that is one thing but if you just want to get into to medical look to nursing.

If you were closer I would hire you for lawn work and chores around my house
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Enlist.  You will get in a 1% of Americans club, lots of experience and be in a brotherhood the rest of your life.  It will help you very much in the Tactical gun world.  The branch doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
dupe
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#18]
If I hadn't gone into the financial industry and moved to IT services, I probably would have ended up a pharmacy tech for some time.
Walgreens/CVS is always hiring, and the pharmacy tech school is only ~6months last I heard.

Work the store/cashier for $9-10 an hour and then do the pharmacy tech once your 18 for decent money, last I heard was $17-$18 an hour.
Edit- I guess it has dropped off recently, starting pharmacy tech is ~$15-$16 an hour, or about $30-$32k a year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Just don't end up in a kitchen and you will be good......unless your dream is to make mediocre  money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top