Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
Just wondering if there were any good spots around the area? I usually head out to Rio Solado but I figured there had to be somewhere on public land around. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Take HWY 79 either north or south from your location.     Drop these coordinates into your GPS or better yet Google Earth     -        33°10'43.32"N    -    111°21'5.91"W

You will note that this is a quad off-loading parking lot.   Take the dirt road from this lot due East.   Plenty off good locations, although I believe that once you cross over a cattle-guard down that road, you have not entered into the Nat Guard Range, but it seems to be seldom used.   They say if the cattle guard is blocked, they training is going on.   But as many times as we have been out there, have never seen it blocked.

Lots of quads and motorcycles in that area, so indeed be careful.   And of course --- police your brass and trash.  Try and pack out more than you brought in.  We need to do our part in order to keep the State off our back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
That is mostly state trust land, so no shooting there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Was looking at a map of that area - interestingly enough there is an area east down Cottonwood road, where BLM land appears to start.   I believe we cross over onto that BLM land when we shoot, BUT gonna do some research.   Don't want to run afoul of "da man".
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Was looking at a map of that area - interestingly enough there is an area east down Cottonwood road, where BLM land appears to start.   I believe we cross over onto that BLM land when we shoot, BUT gonna do some research.   Don't want to run afoul of "da man".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLM land starts when you cross the cattle guard IIRC about 9 5 miles back on Cottonwood Canyon Rd. Once you pass the mine entrance (on the right), the road will fork. Go to the right (road is greyish color) and another 100 yards there are spots on the right side to shoot.
The "range" goes over a wash and ATV's may come through there.
Be careful and please clean up.

ETA GPS coord.  33°11'45.11"N 111°14'45.64"W

In fact you can see the "range" pointing south in the sat image from that spot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a map that shows who owns the land
link
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Good info there KB7DX.   Thanks for the clarification.    And indeed, we do our part to keep the location clean.   Can stand the morons that just leave debris and stuff out there - they are ruining it for all of us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in for a clean up sometime.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. I finally made it out to the area suggested and got some shooting in today. It was my first time out there but I'll definitely be going back.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yaa! What was it like? Was there a lot of trash out there? It's been a few weeks since I've been out there on the dirt bike.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It was nice. There were lots of different places to shoot. The first place I went to had a couple of cows hanging out so I didn't shoot there. I didn't see a lot of trash. I honestly expected it to be worse than it was. A few shotgun shells and some steel case stuff laying around but not much.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in for a cleanup too if it happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top