Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
As the title says, I'm moving to the west Phoenix area, as my job is being transferred to the Goodyear and Avondale area.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which neighborhoods are decent and which to avoid?

Another question is what's a decent rate for apartment rentals in the area?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in North Phoenix and am familiar with West Phoenix. Apartments can range from 400 a month to 2000 depending on size and neighborhood. There are pockets of good but generally I don't go south of Peoria.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not go south of I-10.
Actually, stay out of Avondale and stick with Goodyear.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in North Phoenix and am familiar with West Phoenix. Apartments can range from 400 a month to 2000 depending on size and neighborhood. There are pockets of good but generally I don't go south of Peoria.
View Quote

Peoria:  The street or the city?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The street. Lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Surprise by the baseball stadium.  I like it up here and it would be a short drive to Goodyear.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay close to Litchfield Park and Palm Valley.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in Goodyear and it's a great area. If your company is moving in this area, I would look west of the 101, north of the 10 until you hit Litchfield. Then there are nice places on either side of the 10. I recall seeing some apartments that look nice when my son moved out, they IIRC they were on Van Buren around Sarival. My ex lived in a nice complex on Bullard just north of McDowell. The place has nice amenities and was full of eye candy.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in Surprise by the baseball stadium.  I like it up here and it would be a short drive to Goodyear.
View Quote

Me too. 303 right down to goodyear, and it connects to the i 10 now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I've mostly been looking at the Goodyear area, mostly because that's closer to work.

The freeways up there seem to slow to a crawl in the morning, so it kinda limits how far north I can go. Does the 303 fill up like I-10 and the 202 seem to? This is key because I'm on-call after my normal shift.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]
NO - Loop 303 does NOT fill up.
Still too new and not enough population density to screw it up yet.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a house out there that I have renters in now, since I moved east. Depending on where your work is going to be, I would try to find a nice place to the east of where you work (drive west in the morning) or North if you are going to use the 101 (driving south in the morning). That would be reverse of the traffic flow out there, and also reverse of the sun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The street. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The street. Lol
Yeah the street but when he said Phoenix I assumed he was going to live in Phoenix. He is talking about Goodyear and what not.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah the street but when he said Phoenix I assumed he was going to live in Phoenix. He is talking about Goodyear and what not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The street. Lol

One of the jobsites is in Goodyear. My boss called the whole area "West Phoenix," so that's what I initially called it. After looking at the place on Google Maps, I found the Goodyear/Avondale area is probably the best bet.

There is also a place in western Phoenix that I'm considering and will check out when I come up on Sunday to take a look at a few places. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My buddy used to live at McDowell and Dysart. Real nice area where he was.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Check it out carefully.  There are many areas in the SW valley that are new construction and "look nice" but have a shit ton of property crime and people issues.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, been using it a lot lately. Reminds me of I-17 in the 70's, wide open.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The street. Lol

I was a little puzzled, hence the question.  People tend to commute long distances, so either answer could work.  There's variation on the "south of Peoria" doctrine.  Glendale Community College to the canal, for instance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Check it out carefully.  There are many areas in the SW valley that are new construction and "look nice" but have a shit ton of property crime and people issues.
View Quote

Ha exactly, never seen new ghettos built before I moved to Phoenix...   and there are a lot of them.

The key is to find out which direction traffic is mostly flowing during rush hour and set yourself up to be opposite of that.  Sometimes you can live a surprisingly far distance away and still have a decent commute measured by time.  Moon Valley and areas along 51 can be interesting and drive time might not be too bad, not sure how traffic flows from center to West...
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I am also considering moving back to Phx after an almost 20 year hiatus on the East Coast. My old home is still open. All I gotta do is call and say "I'm on my way".  Dunlap & 7th St area. I was out there to visit 2002 or so and it had changed quite a bit from 1996. We shall see. I believe I can afford to retire there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top