Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 4:07:31 PM EDT
For the ones that hunt coyote's what are you doing with the pelts if you have no use for them I will give them a good home!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna make some furry armor?  
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes!!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want just coyotes, or other predators, like foxes?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yote pelts I can give you if you don't mind a hole or Two and you want to skin/clean them (sorry, I'm not doing it for you) plus you gotta drive down here to Florence for them.
Generally pop Three or so a week right now, and the pelts are starting to get better and thicken up, heck I'll throw them in the bed of the truck if you really want them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone! A  little history on this post my company Lamellar LLC. makes historic armor ( its on facebook) and I wanted to do some Roman Aquifer  armor which involves pelts and wanted to know if peeps kept their yote pelts and didn't want them. I don't know how to skin one at all!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how to skin one at all
View Quote

Going to have to get you down here for a hunt or Two.
We'll get you edumicated.

I've got a friend that lives for the hunt, he's going out every day and gets at least One every time he's out.
Only problem is some days he uses a shotgun, which really doesn't do the pelt much good on the closer targets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
that would be fun I have done that before!!! Maybe get a group together get ahold of me on facebook Randee Tereshko is the name!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got a friend that lives for the hunt, he's going out every day and gets at least One every time he's out.
Only problem is some days he uses a shotgun, which really doesn't do the pelt much good on the closer targets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't know how to skin one at all

Not to hijack thread, but..

I am just getting started on preditor hunting myself, yotes for now.  I am in Marana.  I have gotten an cotton tail distressed caller and have been practising the call.  Im going to be working in Unit 37a and maybe 37b.   Using my 223, any tips?  I dont have any buddies to take me out or to follow but thats never stopped me before.  Any advice would be welcome.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a FoxPro caller.
FWIW, don't spend more that 20-30 minutes calling, if they've not shown up by then, they probably won't.
Do several stands in a hunt, don't just sit in One spot.
We'll do 4 to 5 different areas in one day, most moves are within 2-3 or so miles of each other.
Look for semi brush areas, Coyotes hate crossing open ground like hardpan.
Of course noise and scent control are important, more so noise, if your banging around, smoking, or wore your favorite after shave you'll never see them.
Slow movements when set up, a yote is looking for whatever animal noise your calling with, it's eyes are looking for fast movements and will pick up on you quick.
We generally hunt afternoon up to dusk, sun in our face.
If the Sun is to your back, it makes you easier to spot.

ETA, other odds and ends...
Camo is important.
When calling, go for quality not volume, doesn't need to be earsplitting.
If you shoot One, don't jump up and run over, more than a few times there are others coming in.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run a FoxPro caller.
FWIW, don't spend more that 20-30 minutes calling, if they've not shown up by then, they probably won't.
Do several stands in a hunt, don't just sit in One spot.
We'll do 4 to 5 different areas in one day, most moves are within 2-3 or so miles of each other.
Look for semi brush areas, Coyotes hate crossing open ground like hardpan.
Of course noise and scent control are important, more so noise, if your banging around, smoking, or wore your favorite after shave you'll never see them.
Slow movements when set up, a yote is looking for whatever animal noise your calling with, it's eyes are looking for fast movements and will pick up on you quick.
We generally hunt afternoon up to dusk, sun in our face.
If the Sun is to your back, it makes you easier to spot.

ETA, other odds and ends...
Camo is important.
When calling, go for quality not volume, doesn't need to be earsplitting.
If you shoot One, don't jump up and run over, more than a few times there are others coming in.
View Quote

Wow thanks for that fast reply.  I will certainly use these tiips.  Im going to go out a few times next week.  Im looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I will take any pelts anyone wants to give up or not keep hole placement isn't a concern Rizzo!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#13]
And...
One last thing.
Went to a Predator Hunter meeting tonight, where the guest speaker happened to be my partner in massacres.
He brought up a very important part about the right load for predators.
They are not varmints, don't use a light bullet like a 50 grain or so, they are made for, well, varmints.
If you do, you'll have a lot of wounded but not down animals.
You need a heavier grain with soft point or hollow point, something that will penetrate and incapacitate.
When I use a .223 it's a 62 grain ETSP (bonded soft point).
There is no joy in seeing a wounded animal run off to die slowly.

I will take any pelts anyone wants to give up or not keep hole placement isn't a concern
View Quote

I'd post a pic of the one shot on Tuesday to show why I don't keep the pelts.
But even with trying to pretty up the carcass it was still quite the mess, and I'm afraid some would be offended.
Was different back in the early 80s when I trapped them over by Silver City, but then a good clean pelt was bringing 25-50 each.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are not varmints, don't use a light bullet like a 50 grain or so, they are made for, well, varmints.
You need a heavier grain with soft point or hollow point, something that will penetrate and incapacitate.
View Quote

I have never been coyote hunting, but I have seriously wanted to and just started to look into it.

I have a bunch of 55g Hollow Point .223 ammo.  Would that be ok to use being HP or should I move up to 62g still?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
holes don't matter as they will be backed by leather!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a bunch of 55g Hollow Point .223 ammo. Would that be ok to use being HP or should I move up to 62g still?
View Quote

Wouldn't really be my choice, but if it's what you have on hand then use it, everyone that hunts has their favorite round and a lot of folks would argue with my choice.
My thing is using a lighter varmint round on something the size of a yote, you really need to be carefull about shot placement.
Hit one in the rump with a 50 grn, it has a chance to get away.

I don't care about pelts so to me it's more a matter of knocking them down.

ETA:
You guys should look at joining a predator club, or taking a class.
The info you get might not make you predator masters overnight, but it sure helps to be able to talk to and learn from those that have been doing it a while.
Heck, our own Rizzo1318 puts on a pretty good workshop from all the good things I've heard.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#17]
ontime, go to one of Rizzo's Coyote Clinics!!!! I really wish he'd offer them more often so that I could partake on the rare occasions I'm back home.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ontime, go to one of Rizzo's Coyote Clinics!!!! I really wish he'd offer them more often so that I could partake on the rare occasions I'm back home.
View Quote

I just cheaked his site... the classes looks cool as hell, and would bevery informative.  I have saved that site to wait for classes.  The preditor hunting group is a great idea too.  It looks like I need it, todays hunt is on hold, last night I was showing my neighbor my starter settup for the hunt and the first thing he said was

"uhh damn 30 round mags?  

5 round magazine limit with centerfire big game."

Now, I dont need 30 round mags to hunt but thats all I got for the 223, I only have 10 loaded in each as it is and was only going to carry two. So I have been looking for the answer and it is not clear.

I do know it was like that before, but I thought that might have changed a few years back.  And if it did not change, is it the same for predator hunting in addition to big game?  I have been trying to find the rules about this in my 2014-2015 AZ hunting reg book and cant find mention of them.

I would have thought it would be in either R12-4-303 or R12-4-304.

Im not going out unless I know I am in compliance one way or another.  I can go buy a 5 round magazine its no deal deal. I could drill one of my metal magazines and pin it also, but is that even allowable? Knowing what is the regulation is the primary concern, i am try to be complaint and know the rules and I dont want to just assume.

Sorry about the newb questions guys and thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
"uhh damn 30 round mags?

View Quote

Ummm, no.
There is no mag limit on game other than Migratory birds (HB 2640).
Also, hunting with a suppressor is legal (HB 2727)
Both bills were signed in by Brewer in 2012.

One thing to watch for is hunting in units designated with an "M" after the unit number.
In "M" designated units, only a shotgun or rimfire can be used.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ummm, no.
There is no mag limit on game other than Migratory birds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"uhh damn 30 round mags?

Ummm, no.
There is no mag limit on game other than Migratory birds.

Excellent gunslinger, Thank You buddy, hunt back on for another time this week.  I owe you a beer.  

I downloaded some of the newsletters from AZ predator callers club  I havent had a chance to read them.  Looks like some good stuff.

Yea I am hitting unit 37A. I live at the northern part of unit 38M and yots are all over the place around here.

Edit.. Yea Brewer

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#21]
decided to go bag a yote or two for you  last weekend up north since there has been a pretty active pack around christopher creek according to some neighbors up there..  Forgot to throw my handcalls in my bag and when I got to my first stand my foxpro batteries were dead.  Yelling motherfucker really loud didn't bring in a yote and I couldn't find a small animal to maim so no dice.  probably go up again in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
worth a lot more than what you spend.  Take good notes.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Yelling motherfucker really loud didn't bring in a yote and I couldn't find a small animal to maim so no dice.
View Quote

So, you called in 2 crackheads, and a pimp?

My first call with my new FoxPro Fusion got me this savage beast.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
My coon hound loses it when I use distress calls or howlers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/Grrfoxpro.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yelling motherfucker really loud didn't bring in a yote and I couldn't find a small animal to maim so no dice.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47/Gunslinger8O8/Grrfoxpro.jpg

Hehe nice looking dag
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yote pelts I can give you if you don't mind a hole or Two and you want to skin/clean them (sorry, I'm not doing it for you) plus you gotta drive down here to Florence for them.
Generally pop Three or so a week right now, and the pelts are starting to get better and thicken up, heck I'll throw them in the bed of the truck if you really want them.
View Quote

I sent an IM to GS808 and next time he goes out I'll tag along.

OP - I plan on tanning the pelts too. If I have extra, I'll see what I can do. I figure I'll fuck up my first few pelts in the attempts
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
If I have extra, I'll see what I can do. I figure I'll fuck up my first few pelts in the attempts
View Quote

Well, shot placement/caliber helps.
I quit using a 6.8 as it really didn't leave much pelt.
Looked like they were hit by a semi!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
If I have extra, I'll see what I can do. I figure I'll fuck up my first few pelts in the attempts

Heh. I don't need perfect pelts. I have 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel. I'll probably go 5.56 since I got a can on it.

And it'll be practice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have never been coyote hunting, but I have seriously wanted to and just started to look into it.

I have a bunch of 55g Hollow Point .223 ammo.  Would that be ok to use being HP or should I move up to 62g still?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you mention it - I just jumped into the game. My caller and Mojo decoy will be here this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top