Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 11:06:14 PM EDT
I'm getting read to get out of Army and I'm planning on Attending ASU.  Several questions for your locals;

-Anyone have informations on good/fairly priced apartments in the ASU area?

-What are the Laws regarding Concealed/open carry?

-Are there any good local ranges?

-IDPA/3 gun/ USPSA Clubs in area?

-Places to shoot long range?

-Employment opportunities?

I know a lot of this I will find on google But I wanted to get the low down from yall in the area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Concealed/open carry laws, largely don't exist. We have the best firearms laws in the nation.

There are great ranges everywhere

Employment isn't bad, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a job if you're motivated and don't look like a shitbird.

Not sure about competition shooting, I don't really participate in an legues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats your MOS and rank?

Why ASU?

Married or single?

You mostly planning on doing the subsistence/starvation on Post 9-11 and Pell Grants, or work full time?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm getting read to get out of Army and I'm planning on Attending ASU.  Several questions for your locals;

-Anyone have informations on good/fairly priced apartments in the ASU area?

Look in mesa. You will find better deals and its a short drive to ASU

-What are the Laws regarding Concealed/open carry?

Laws? What laws?     In short unless you aren't allowed to own firearms you can open or conceal carry wherever you want as long as they don't serve alcohol.  For that you need a CCW.

If a place has a no guns sign it only has the force of law behind it if they ask you to laeve and you refuse (trespass) so don't sweat it much.  

If you like to open carry you wont be hassled for it and people won't really care or even notice. It's pretty normal here even in the city.  Just don't dress like a gangster and be polite saying please thank you bless you , hold doors open for people ect.    It helps us keep our amazingly pro gun attitude in this state if visible gun owners are good guys.  

ASU has it's own anti gun rules and punishments.  You will have to look into that when you get here.  Don't get caught.

-Are there any good local ranges?

Tons of them.  Also our state is about 80 percent public land you can shoot on.  Just make some friends and find some good spots to save your money.  

-IDPA/3 gun/ USPSA Clubs in area?

I don't participate in that stuff but we do have a lot of it here.

-Places to shoot long range?  

There are some ranges where you can get legs but once again the state has tons of them that are free if you like free.  Just gotta find a good spot.

-Employment opportunities?

Details on your work history and skillsets would probably help answer that better

I know a lot of this I will find on google But I wanted to get the low down from yall in the area.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats your MOS and rank?

Why ASU?

Married or single?

You mostly planning on doing the subsistence/starvation on Post 9-11 and Pell Grants, or work full time?
View Quote

Right now I', an E4 11B.  I'm single.  Already have my BA and want to get my masters now while I'm still still relatively young and dont have many responsibilities (wife, kids, home ETC)  On plan on getting into their Criminal Justice School and taking advantage of the LE Internships they have.  I'm going to do my best to work part time and go to school
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know if you into TECH stuff at all, but DeVry is only 250 a credit hour for military.
If your set on ASU, make sure your getting the .mil discount.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't know if you into TECH stuff at all, but DeVry is only 250 a credit hour for military.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
everyone I know that got an engineering degree from devry makes bank and did so right out of school.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Right now I', an E4 11B.  I'm single.  Already have my BA and want to get my masters now while I'm still still relatively young and dont have many responsibilities (wife, kids, home ETC)  On plan on getting into their Criminal Justice School and taking advantage of the LE Internships they have.  I'm going to do my best to work part time and go to school

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats your MOS and rank?

Why ASU?

Married or single?

You doing a LEO internship at ASU PD?   I would tell you to get started applying now for LEO full time gigs, you can do the masters with your GI Bill at the same time.  Lot of agencies hiring right now.  I would suggest applying for a few agencies, do some research on where in Arizona you want to live/work, and start from there.  You will do pretty well with the GI Bill, I know a lot of the guys I work with do.  

Welcome.  If you have any LEO questions, feel free.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't get a masters in crim justice, for God's sake.  I think a fulltime MA gig would be hard during FTO and the academy, and ASU PD's reputation sucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't get a masters in crim justice, for God's sake.  I think a fulltime MA gig would be hard during FTO and the academy, and ASU PD's reputation sucks.
View Quote

What he said about ASU PD...  And the Crim Justice Degree.  Get a crossover degree in something else, Business, something...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome 11B! Stay out of Phoenix if you can. Look into the Mesa area like VG said. Where are you originally from?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Criminal Justice degrees are useless. Please get something that is worthwhile with you GI Bill money. As a LEO I would not consider a CJ degree worth it. A lot of guys get out of this field before they retire, have a fall back degree.
Oh, and 1/158 Infantry is a good unit if you need to fill out some Guard time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Good answers above. To your question about USPSA and 3 gun, I shoot with this group every Thursday. I've yet to shoot their steel match or 3 gun.

Cactus Combat
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Criminal Justice degrees are useless. Please get something that is worthwhile with you GI Bill money. As a LEO I would not consider a CJ degree worth it. A lot of guys get out of this field before they retire, have a fall back degree.
View Quote

Well, the MA I'm looking at is homeland security and emergency management, what are your other recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good answers above. To your question about USPSA and 3 gun, I shoot with this group every Thursday. I've yet to shoot their steel match or 3 gun.

Cactus Combat
View Quote

Thank you much!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, the MA I'm looking at is homeland security and emergency management, what are your other recommendations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Business
Accounting
Education

Something that doesn't pigeonhole you into a narrow field.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Phoenix is the mecca for competition shooting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously??  What kind of stuff is going on there?  Any sights or clubs I should check out?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You doing a LEO internship at ASU PD?   I would tell you to get started applying now for LEO full time gigs, you can do the masters with your GI Bill at the same time.  Lot of agencies hiring right now.  I would suggest applying for a few agencies, do some research on where in Arizona you want to live/work, and start from there.  You will do pretty well with the GI Bill, I know a lot of the guys I work with do.  

Welcome.  If you have any LEO questions, feel free.  

View Quote

All this. I have been applying for a while now, it takes time and be kind of a lengthy process depending on how exactly the agency runs their hiring process. I have a polygraph this week for an agency I submitted paperwork with in February. Really hoping it works out

The Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZPOST) is the state agency that oversees LEOs in the state. Their website has a LIST of agencies with openings around the state. This changes frequently and may not have every single agency with an opening on it, so check agency websites or contact them directly if you're really interested in working for them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously??  What kind of stuff is going on there?  Any sights or clubs I should check out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phoenix Rod & Gun
Ben Avery
Rio Salado Sportsman club

Between those three you could spend nearly ever day of the year shooting a match.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
...and the relatives back east say I'm nuts for living in the desert
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#22]
My favorite 3 gun match to shoot is at Rio Salado.  It is the 2nd Sat of the month.  In Mesa.
Steathly post a link to 3 gun/long gun matches at Rio monthly
SB Sept post for Rio Salado

Also at Rio (posted in the link above):

The Tac 22 match is a great match if you have a 22 rifle (or pistol) and its on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month.  Usually 3 close/quick stages with 1 stage with a bunch of smaller targets and a few targets out to a 100 yards.  Also there are Tuesday night steel matches (pistol) every week.  If I can get there by 5pm-ish, I will shoot the 22 match, then off to the pistol match.  Great way to shoot 2 awesome matches in one night (match fee for each)

There is the Red Mountain Action Rifle match on (I believe) the 3rd Sunday of the month.  4 stages that are less than 60 yards.  This is another great match

Also there is the PCC/Tac shotgun match on (I believe) the 3rd Thursday of the month.  Havent shot this match yet, but have been wanting to for a long time.  Also you can shoot this match with a 22 rifle.  If you get there early enough you might be able to shoot it with the Shotgun, then with a PCC or the 22 rifle.  Again another great way to shoot 2 matches in the same night (not 100% sure on this-would be 2 match fees if allowed)

Another cool thing about Rio is they send out the stage descriptions for the 3 gun match and the Tac SG match the week of the match.  If you want to see the descrips for the matches in Sept, then IM me.

Also check out Phoenix Rod and Gun club.  Its more South Phoenix
PRG schedule

I shoot the 3 gun match over there and it is another great match.  It is on the 4th Sunday of the month.

They also have a rifle only match that is on the 1st Saturday of the month that is also great.  Usually 4 closer style stages and 1 long range stage.

They have a PCC/Tac shotgun match on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.  Havent shot this one, but I want to and hear it is a good one.

Also they have Thursday night steel every week (pistol).

Check out Ben Avery for their schedule too.  I dont shoot any matches there (yet) but they do have them going on.  Its in more North Phoenix
Ben Avery

Also there is a 2 gun match in Tucson, that I believe is the 3rd Saturday of the month.  Havent shot this match, but I have buddies that do and say its a great match.  They also post about this match monthy.  There are some good videos of the match in the link below
Tucson 2 gun

There are a lot of videos on some of the matches I listed above.  PM me if you want any links to any of them.
I dont shoot any USPSA or IDPA, but there are a ton of those matches at all of the above ranges as well, and like was said above, you could prob find a match almost every day of the week.

Feel free to pm or email me if you want any more info
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#23]
To add onto jwil -

There's a lot of uspsa here along with some of the best shooters in the country.
Should have no problem shooting a match  or 2 every weekend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My favorite 3 gun match to shoot is at Rio Salado.  It is the 2nd Sat of the month.  In Mesa.
Steathly post a link to 3 gun/long gun matches at Rio monthly
SB Sept post for Rio Salado

Also at Rio (posted in the link above):

The Tac 22 match is a great match if you have a 22 rifle (or pistol) and its on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month.  Usually 3 close/quick stages with 1 stage with a bunch of smaller targets and a few targets out to a 100 yards.  Also there are Tuesday night steel matches (pistol) every week.  If I can get there by 5pm-ish, I will shoot the 22 match, then off to the pistol match.  Great way to shoot 2 awesome matches in one night (match fee for each)

There is the Red Mountain Action Rifle match on (I believe) the 3rd Sunday of the month.  4 stages that are less than 60 yards.  This is another great match

Also there is the PCC/Tac shotgun match on (I believe) the 3rd Thursday of the month.  Havent shot this match yet, but have been wanting to for a long time.  Also you can shoot this match with a 22 rifle.  If you get there early enough you might be able to shoot it with the Shotgun, then with a PCC or the 22 rifle.  Again another great way to shoot 2 matches in the same night (not 100% sure on this-would be 2 match fees if allowed)

Another cool thing about Rio is they send out the stage descriptions for the 3 gun match and the Tac SG match the week of the match.  If you want to see the descrips for the matches in Sept, then IM me.

Also check out Phoenix Rod and Gun club.  Its more South Phoenix
PRG schedule

I shoot the 3 gun match over there and it is another great match.  It is on the 4th Sunday of the month.

They also have a rifle only match that is on the 1st Saturday of the month that is also great.  Usually 4 closer style stages and 1 long range stage.

They have a PCC/Tac shotgun match on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.  Havent shot this one, but I want to and hear it is a good one.

Also they have Thursday night steel every week (pistol).

Check out Ben Avery for their schedule too.  I dont shoot any matches there (yet) but they do have them going on.  Its in more North Phoenix
Ben Avery

Also there is a 2 gun match in Tucson, that I believe is the 3rd Saturday of the month.  Havent shot this match, but I have buddies that do and say its a great match.  They also post about this match monthy.  There are some good videos of the match in the link below
Tucson 2 gun

There are a lot of videos on some of the matches I listed above.  PM me if you want any links to any of them.
I dont shoot any USPSA or IDPA, but there are a ton of those matches at all of the above ranges as well, and like was said above, you could prob find a match almost every day of the week.

Feel free to pm or email me if you want any more info
View Quote

Holy crap dude!! You really have this stuff dialed in!!

Oh yeah, speaking of USPSA I met Rob Leatham out at Rio Salado a few years ago. Still talks to us regular guys like a real human being!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Just set up my youngest daughter with a very nice place near ASU.  Shoot me a mail for more info, she is home for the weekend and would be happy to provide any info.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

...and the relatives back east say I'm nuts for living in the desert
View Quote

They are correct. Our 'winters' are 112-117 degrees or so with NO SHOVELING (and LE is going to be an outside job), but fall thru spring are fabulous.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top