Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2014 2:45:34 AM EDT
My 11 year old daughter and 5 year old boy decided to join me and my 15 year old son for hunting this year.

Now I'm buying 4 different shot shells.  12ga, 20ga, 16ga, and .410.

1000 rds ready to go for day 1!  With the new 15 bird limit, I'm going to need every shell I can get my hands on, LOL.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My 11 year old daughter and 5 year old boy decided to join me and my 15 year old son for hunting this year.

1000 rds ready to go for day 1!  With the new 15 bird limit, I'm going to need every shell I can get my hands on, LOL.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/ddbe3781-4eed-4939-b5df-971cf5f42e2a_zps89328194.jpg
View Quote

I got 4 boxes. Lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got 4 boxes. Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/ddbe3781-4eed-4939-b5df-971cf5f42e2a_zps89328194.jpg

I got 4 boxes. Lol

I've seen you shoot.  

Why did you buy 3 extra boxes?

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My 8 year old and 5 year old are heading out with me tomorrow, but they will just be observing this year.

I'm in the 4 box camp with LukeDuke. Using a 28ga really encourages you to shoot well or you will go broke.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 8 year old and 5 year old are heading out with me tomorrow, but they will just be observing this year.

I'm in the 4 box camp with LukeDuke. Using a 28ga really encourages you to shoot well or you will go broke.
View Quote

ArLarry uses a BPS28 that we won in mesquite NV. Definitely easy to break the bank shooting it. Lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've seen you shoot.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 4 boxes. Lol

I've seen you shoot.  

I haven't shot the shotgunsince spring break
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like you'll get through the first couple flights in the morning.... what about the rest of the day? I am going to have to triple that amount just to get my limit.... it's going to be raining lead tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ArLarry uses a BPS28 that we won in mesquite NV. Definitely easy to break the bank shooting it. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7M3 and I shot 28s together in the dove flurry event at Rio last Saturday. There was about $150 in ammo blown in a few minutes. It's almost as bad as NFA...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
First time dove hunter. Anyone have a recommendation for a spot in the east valley where my son and I could go?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First time dove hunter. Anyone have a recommendation for a spot in the east valley where my son and I could go?
View Quote

There's tons of hunters east of the 202 by Williams airport. Never tried over there myself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's tons of hunters east of the 202 by Williams airport. Never tried over there myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sossaman and Pecos,you'll see everyone out there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I might try ironwood over by those powerlines little last year. Got my limit fast there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I might try ironwood over by those powerlines little last year. Got my limit fast there.
View Quote

Probably gonna hit that spot next weekend. Let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad, two boys and I met Dual and 7M3 north of Rio this am. Not too crowded, everyone around seemed to be taking care and had a great time. Thanks to 7M3 for the invite. Took 13 and couldn't find a couple.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Went out with my son, Berd, and JeredMD this morning, and I shot 10 before I had to head into The Arms Room show. Could've limited out, but . . . . you know.

Berd shot 7 I think, and JeredMD shot 26 but could only recover 3.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Some day.....those dove are going to get even with you guys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Brought back 45 birds! 3 shooters 3 limits.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
What a blast. Brought back my limit. Well only 12, 3 I couldn'tfind, then I ran out of shells. I have the birds breasted and soaking in Italian dressing and waiting to be wrapped in bacon and thrown on the grill!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What a blast. Brought back my limit. Well only 12, 3 I couldn'tfind, then I ran out of shells. I have the birds breasted and soaking in Italian dressing and waiting to be wrapped in bacon and thrown on the grill!
View Quote

Glad you found a spot-welcome to the addiction...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Got 13 this morning. Took the wife and little sister for the first time . Wife got 3 and my sister got 2 better than nothing I guess lol. Can't wait for next weekend to get some more.

Already cooked some up in some jalapeno poppers. Delicious.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Dove enchiladas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dove enchiladas.
View Quote

Care to share your recipe?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dove enchiladas.

Certainly.  This is a mix of two recipes.  And it works for all kinds of enchiladas, including quail.  

Ingredients

• FOR THE SAUCE:

• 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil

• 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour

• 1 can (28 Ounce) El Pato Tomato Sauce - Mexican Hot Style (soooo much better than any enchilada sauce)

• 2 cups Chicken Broth

• 1/2 teaspoon Salt

• 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper

• 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro

• _____

• 8 Whole dove breasts; boned and coarsely chopped (or more as needed)

• 3/4 c Onion; chopped

• 2 cl Garlic; minced

• 2 tb Vegetable oil

• _____

• FOR THE TORTILLAS:

• 10 whole (to 14) Corn Tortillas

• 1/2 cup Canola Oil

• _____

• TO ASSEMBLE:

• 3 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

• 1 cup Chopped Green Onions

• 1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro

Preparation Instructions

Step #1 – The Sauce

In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a paste, cooking for one minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce  heat and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Step #2 – The Dove

Saute dove, onion, and garlic in oil until dove is browned; set aside.  

Step #3 – Tortillas

Heat canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas in oil until soft, not crisp – about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper—towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried.

Step #4 – Assembly

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour ½ cup red sauce in bottom of baking pan. Spread to even out. Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then remove to work surface. Spoon meat, a little grated cheese, and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour extra red sauce over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Certainly.    <snip>    Sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dove enchiladas.

Certainly.    <snip>    Sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving.  

Awesome. I am saving this for the near future. Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Brought back 45 birds! 3 shooters 3 limits.
View Quote

And two "attempted" shooters that gave it an honest effort.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Recipe saved, looks tasty.. cannot wait to give that a shot this year!

I went out early, down off of ironwood. Found a watering hole, but did not see many birds. By 7:30 or so, people started to pour in. I am new to the east side, I had a place out west that I would limit out in an hour every day for years. I spent most of the morning driving around, and looking for birds/listening to shots. I have a few more places noted to check out this week. I am sure the masses were out since it was labor day, but most should not have that dedication for the rest of the season. I have some time to find some good spots =)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Dawg and I had a great day, have a local farmer that lets me hunt his property by the canal.
By Dove Twelve I could tell my buddy is out of shape from inactivity, it was more of an "all right, I'll go get it, but you owe me" look.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Dont hunt ironwood. Paul and I saw about six birds total in the entire area all afternoon. No late rush no birds in a distance. Nothing.  Weirdest thing I have ever seen dove hunting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dont hunt ironwood. Paul and I saw about six birds total in the entire area all afternoon. No late rush no birds in a distance. Nothing.  Weirdest thing I have ever seen dove hunting.
View Quote

Strange-I wonder what changed. That place was solid in the evenings last year...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Strange-I wonder what changed. That place was solid in the evenings last year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah it was baffling.  we probably didn't hear twenty shots from the surrounding area the whole time we were there. No flocks in a distance or anywhere.  No birds in the trees.  Just no birds.  really strange.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
yeah it was baffling.  we probably didn't hear twenty shots from the surrounding area the whole time we were there. No flocks in a distance or anywhere.  No birds in the trees.  Just no birds.  really strange.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that was my experience too. I was down Ironwood a bit south of the power lines (couple miles) and then west to a watering hole I found.

I drove down to Arizona farms and talked to a couple hunters out there, and they had very few doves also. Some pigeons was about it. I did see a buddy who hit his limit out west.

I am new to the east side, so I am a little disappointed. Maybe it was all of the activity? I am going to see if its a little calmer tomorrow morning, maybe I will get lucky.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I normally hunt Ray/meridian.

Got there early and there were already folks in my normal and alternate spot.  another 20+ folks showed up after us.

Very few birds.  Got one (1).    Last year I had my limit by 6:45.  Heard lots of shooting in the distance so the doves must have moved on to a different location.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yeah, that was my experience too. I was down Ironwood a bit south of the power lines (couple miles) and then west to a watering hole I found.

I drove down to Arizona farms and talked to a couple hunters out there, and they had very few doves also. Some pigeons was about it. I did see a buddy who hit his limit out west.

I am new to the east side, so I am a little disappointed. Maybe it was all of the activity? I am going to see if its a little calmer tomorrow morning, maybe I will get lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah that is not normal.  I usually get my limit anywhere out there no sweat.  something very wrong with not seeing any birds at all hardly.  They must have had something really important to do elsewhere.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I went out early, down off of ironwood. Found a watering hole, but did not see many birds. By 7:30 or so, people started to pour in. I am new to the east side, I had a place out west that I would limit out in an hour every day for years. I spent most of the morning driving around, and looking for birds/listening to shots. I have a few more places noted to check out this week. I am sure the masses were out since it was labor day, but most should not have that dedication for the rest of the season. I have some time to find some good spots =)
View Quote

Uhh, you wanna spill the beans for your old West Side Spot. ??????
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Did anyone hunt off the 79 and have success? I'm curious how far this east side fail went...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Heard it was just as dead all the wayto gold canyon and florence.

Might be able to hit some at the end of elliot where the state trust land starts with all those dairy farms nearby but I wouldnt count on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With development ramping back up a few farm fields getting developed could have a big impact on patterns
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I did hear today that a lot of crops over in florence didnt get planted this year.   That will reall suck if the whole east side dries up due to developement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I did hear today that a lot of crops over in florence didnt get planted this year.   That will reall suck if the whole east side dries up due to developement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I really hope not. Where I am at, there were a ton of birds in my yard and out back until Saturday. They must have known we were coming for them

Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh, you wanna spill the beans for your old West Side Spot. ??????

Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Went out with my son, Berd, and JeredMD this morning, and I shot 10 before I had to head into The Arms Room show. Could've limited out, but . . . . you know.

Berd shot 7 I think, and JeredMD shot 26 but could only recover 3.
View Quote

Don't forget about the 2 bobcats I dropped also, but didn't wanna take the time to bring back
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah opening day was rough for me. I lost a few birds and just couldn't get myself going with hits. We all could have limited out in about hour and half or so.

I was sick this morning so I didn't get to go out, but I did get to use a O/U for the first time yesterday and I LOVED IT! I know what my next shotgun for hunting will be

Hopefully I will get my game together for Yuma for the rest of the week. Opening day was kinda embarrassing.....

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Went down Ironwood to the power lines today. No people anywhere, and no birds either. I guess it wasn't a pressure thing. Maybe they will be better in the later season? I've never seen it like this anywhere..
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Went down Ironwood to the power lines today. No people anywhere, and no birds either. I guess it wasn't a pressure thing. Maybe they will be better in the later season? I've never seen it like this anywhere..
View Quote

Something has changed with that spot. 7M3 said he's not going out there any more this dove season and I'm inclined to trust him. He has dove ESP.

I did a little scouting quite a bit further east yesterday and found some good pockets of dove roosting. I will have to hunt it to see if it really pans out though. I will say that if I had my shotgun with me I would have easily bagged a handful of them just wandering around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My dad, two boys and I met Dual and 7M3 north of Rio this am. Not too crowded, everyone around seemed to be taking care and had a great time. Thanks to 7M3 for the invite. Took 13 and couldn't find a couple.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc426/jlheard3/IMG_0958_zps07ac56c2.jpg

View Quote

Looks like your boys enjoyed their day! Great hats by the way GO CATS!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Something has changed with that spot. 7M3 said he's not going out there any more this dove season and I'm inclined to trust him. He has dove ESP.

I did a little scouting quite a bit further east yesterday and found some good pockets of dove roosting. I will have to hunt it to see if it really pans out though. I will say that if I had my shotgun with me I would have easily bagged a handful of them just wandering around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know how that turns out =)
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Certainly.  This is a mix of two recipes.  And it works for all kinds of enchiladas, including quail.  

Ingredients

• FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) El Pato Tomato Sauce - Mexican Hot Style (soooo much better than any enchilada sauce)
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • _____
  • 3/4 c Onion; chopped
  • 2 cl Garlic; minced
  • 2 tb Vegetable oil
  • _____
  • FOR THE TORTILLAS:
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil
  • _____
  • TO ASSEMBLE:

Preparation Instructions

Step #1 – The Sauce
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a paste, cooking for one minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce  heat and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Step #2 – The Dove

Step #3 – Tortillas
Heat canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas in oil until soft, not crisp – about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper—towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried.

Step #4 – Assembly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour ½ cup red sauce in bottom of baking pan. Spread to even out. Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then remove to work surface. Spoon meat, a little grated cheese, and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour extra red sauce over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dove enchiladas.

Ingredients

• FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • _____
  • 3/4 c Onion; chopped
  • 2 cl Garlic; minced
  • 2 tb Vegetable oil
  • _____
  • FOR THE TORTILLAS:
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil
  • _____
  • TO ASSEMBLE:

Preparation Instructions

Step #1 – The Sauce

Step #2 – The Dove

Step #3 – Tortillas

Step #4 – Assembly

Made your recipe tonight for dinner. Just got done eating it. It was v delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely be making this again!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Made your recipe tonight for dinner. Just got done eating it. It was v delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely be making this again!

View Quote

Glad you liked it.  Most of the recipe is from Pioneer woman.  The same recipe can be used with hamburger or just cheese.  And they freeze really well.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Went all the way to Rio Rico for a hunt.  Our buddy said he had a cant miss location.   It sucked.  Got three birds all day.  

Any spots in the East Valley anyone wants to share.  Going to try on Saturday.  Kinda bummed for this season.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Went all the way to Rio Rico for a hunt.  Our buddy said he had a cant miss location.   It sucked.  Got three birds all day.  

Any spots in the East Valley anyone wants to share.  Going to try on Saturday.  Kinda bummed for this season.  
View Quote

I'm planning on going out Saturday night provided it isn't storming. You are welcome to join.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm planning on going out Saturday night provided it isn't storming. You are welcome to join.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was going to try for an early morning hunt, going with my good friend, who I have not seen in a while.  If that does not pan out, I would be happy to join you.  Thanks for the invite.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Hunted two hours with dog on Monday. Hadn't been able to get out and train or condition her, so was just looking for her to point a couple of times, get a bird or two in her mouth, and have some dove breasts to wrap in bacon for a late night snack.

She had her first water retrieve ever - Brittany, 8 yrs old. First bird I hit was dead in the air and dropped right in that stinky stock tank. She didn't know quite what to do with it, didn't want to stick her face in the water, and certainly didn't want to pick up that soggy messy bird. She tried, though, but since she wouldn't put her face in the water, she'd get a wing, or some breast feathers, or tail feathers, yank 'em out, flip the bird around.  Then the bird, the very dead bird, was moving, so it needed pinning, obviously. Both feet on the bird, and ... Dunk it! Several times. She finally nudged it over close enough so I could get it out without getting too wet. I tried not to laugh. Poor thing barely had any feathers left.

Next bird, we were walking down the dirt ranch road, she pointed, flushed, held for the shot, hunted dead with a beautiful pattern, and dug the winged bird out of the mesquite. Pinned him with both feet so he would stop smacking her with his unbroken wing, and handed him to me.

Shot another out of a wash that went down in some heavily creviced rocks, couldn't find it. Put her back in the truck, shot a couple more off the tank, and called it a day.

Went home and applied for another job. Might get out for a bit Saturday morning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top