Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2014 8:43:54 AM EDT
Hello from Ohio,

I just found out I will be attending a forensic pathology seminar in Casa Grande in November.  I will be there for four days, and then I have three days free to travel until I fly home.  This is perfect for me because I am considering moving to Arizona when I retire in the next year or so, and I have been advised by a few to look at the Cottonwood area, or possibly in the Kanab, Utah area.

And please, you do not need to make comments about bringing any kind of liberalism to Arizona… I am a benefactor member of the NRA, not likely…

So, I will have three full days to explore northern Arizona, any advice?  I know that is not a lot of time, but it is all I have right now.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to be in Cottonwood I would definitely swing through Jerome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of topography do you like. Wide open with less snow during the winter. Or tall pines and woods.

This state offers everything from low desert to High elevation with everything in between.

You would be more than welcome though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As Mauser1 says - it depends.  We have large cities, small towns, hot weather and cool weather.  I'm an ex Buckeye so I know what Ohio is like.  Been here for over 40 years and there is a difference.  Arizona does offer weather similar to northern Ohio.  You will have to make the choice.

Since you will initially be in Casa Grand, you will need to head north thru Phoenix.   If you got 3 days, I would start in Prescott, spend 1 day there, then go to Cottonwood to spend the night.  I would then explore Cottonwood for a 1/2 day and then head to Flagstaff.  Spend your second night in Flag an explore the 3 day.  There are alot of areas to look at.  You could then head back to Phoenix (I assume your flying into Sky Harbor).  If you had more time I would recommend you look at the White Mountain communities.   Alot of places to retire in.  

Enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend checking out the Prescott area - beautiful terrain, small town feel without the heat of the Verde Valley (Cottonwood) area. I prefer Prescott Valley, myself, but Williamson Valley is also very nice (if you can swing it).

Flagstaff is nice, a bit too much snow for my tastes, and a few too many hippies, but it's a great mountain city.

I grew up in Cottonwood (for the most part), it's not my favorite place, too hot during the summer time, not enough industry or business to keep things interesting.

No matter where you go in northern AZ, access to public lands (read: Freedom) is plentiful, so just pick the kind of terrain you like the most, and move there. Since you won't have to worry about a job, that makes things much easier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to be in Cottonwood I would definitely swing through Jerome.
View Quote
This. Jerome is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I also recommend going through the Prescott area. It really is one of the nicest areas of Arizona.

After Prescott, swing through Jerome on the way to Cottonwood, and keep on going till you hit Sedona.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow no love for cottonwood but its all good.  Ive been in Cottonwood for several years and even graduated from high school here.  I find it a very nice place to live.  Holler at me when you get closer to coming and I can give you the lay of the land.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely focus on Prescott/Prescott Valley.  I retired from a Michigan PD several years ago, moved here and love it.  Mild 4 seasons.  If you want heat then Phoenix is 90 mi south.  You want snow in the winter Flagstaff is 90 mi north.  Terrain here can be flat grasslands to mountain pines all in a 20 mile radius.  Good housing choices.  Lots of retired coppers around and a very friendly small town type atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in the Prescott area, its a great place.

However, the guys claiming "small town" are stretching the hell out of that term these days.  It is pretty much continuous development from Mayer all the way to Prescott and Chino Valley.

It is a decent sized city with all the attendant issues.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

However, the guys claiming "small town" are stretching the hell out of that term these days.  It is pretty much continuous development from Mayer all the way to Prescott and Chino Valley.

View Quote

Yep, you're right. It's no Mayberry. It's not Phoenix either, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rub it in...

Prescott is a great place. I would live there if I could make a living up there. It's small enough to get "out" within a couple minutes, but has everything you need.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no where else I'd rather live, than here in Prescott.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I am kind of partial to the Payson Showlow aria myself. But that's too far for him to drive.
Don't get me wrong. I love Prescott but it's so easy to get there from Phoenix. It's grown up a lot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What kind of topography do you like. Wide open with less snow during the winter. Or tall pines and woods.

This state offers everything from low desert to High elevation with everything in between.

You would be more than welcome though.
View Quote

Coming from Ohio, I am really sick of the snow, and seems to be getting worse, but I know that all things are cyclical.  The wide-open spaces with less snow sound more appealing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I really appreciate all of the good advice here, and I am taking serious notes.

I have been to Prescott Valley, but that was back in 1999 or so.  I was there to visit a friend, and I stayed for three days but I did not get out and about that much.  

When I finally pull the pin and retire, it will just be me, my guns and my dog. I live a very minimalist lifestyle, and with no wife, no kids and no debt, life should be pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I also recommend going through the Prescott area. It really is one of the nicest areas of Arizona.

After Prescott, swing through Jerome on the way to Cottonwood, and keep on going till you hit Sedona.
View Quote

This whole area, you will like it.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
If you do go to Jerome stop at the haunted hamburger .
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have been to Prescott Valley, but that was back in 1999 or so.  I was there to visit a friend, and I stayed for three days but I did not get out and about that much.  

When I finally pull the pin and retire, it will just be me, my guns and my dog. I live a very minimalist lifestyle, and with no wife, no kids and no debt, life should be pretty good.
View Quote

What kind of weather do you want?

In your scenario I would live farther out in the hills than Prescott Valley.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as weather goes, I am not much for extreme heat, and when it comes to snow and cold,  I would prefer it to be rather mild, as opposed to deep snow, ice and near zero temperatures.  Which is largely why Arizona appeals to me and Wyoming, with all of its wonderful attributes, does not. If you are familiar with Northeastern Ohio winters, that is exactly what I do not want.

The perfect weather for me is just what the weather has been here this past week, mid-70s during the day and just Slightly chilly overnight.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As far as weather goes, I am not much for extreme heat, and when it comes to snow and cold,  I would prefer it to be rather mild, as opposed to deep snow, ice and near zero temperatures.  Which is largely why Arizona appeals to me and Wyoming, with all of its wonderful attributes, does not. If you are familiar with Northeastern Ohio winters, that is exactly what I do not want.

The perfect weather for me is just what the weather has been here this past week, mid-70s during the day and just Slightly chilly overnight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then Paulden, Chino, Prescott Valley, Jerome, Prescott, Flagstaff, or Williams is for you then.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
payson area is real nice and close to the mogollon rim which is the best area of the state IMO.   A bit of snow but it's not extreme.  Most of the year its super nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
These guys are all lying jerks.  It's nothing but teddy bear cholla and heat death here.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
After long observation. I have learned that Che is a dastardly fellow.
But after it cools down look forward to miss Che's photos.

He needs a 50Dollar time out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Then Paulden, Chino, Prescott Valley, Jerome, Prescott, Flagstaff, or Williams is for you then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is interesting that once I put all of the cities, Paulden, Chino, Prescott Valley, Jerome, Prescott, Flagstaff and Williams, on a Google map, it forms a nice circle, a little over 200 miles in diameter…

I really appreciate this good information, it will be quite easy for me to visit all of these within three days or so.  Paulden was already on my list, I have to visit Gunsite.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Go a little further west of Williams to the Seligman area.  Land is cheaper and the climate is about what you are looking for.  South side of 40 seems to be nicer than the north side.  Our place is on Anvil Rock Rd. (Exit 109) and there is some nice parcels in that area.   Still within 50-60 minutes of Kingman and Williams, 90 minutes to Prescott Valley.  I will be out there by November, so look me up!

Mark
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Go a little further west of Williams to the Seligman area.  Land is cheaper and the climate is about what you are looking for.  South side of 40 seems to be nicer than the north side.  Our place is on Anvil Rock Rd. (Exit 109) and there is some nice parcels in that area.   Still within 50-60 minutes of Kingman and Williams, 90 minutes to Prescott Valley.  I will be out there by November, so look me up!

Mark
View Quote

I have a chunk of land in Shadow Rock right by there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top