Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 1:11:12 PM EDT
I just bought a KLR650.  The prior owner left the plate on.  I noticed it has the standard MC plate and tab, but it also has an OHV sticker.  

Is this actually required?  I can't tell, the law is unclear to me.  

DMV says:

Criteria (All three requirements must be met.):

The vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
The vehicle has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
The vehicle has been issued an Arizona license plate.
View Quote

It's a dual sport, and by definition (in my opinion) is not designed primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.  It's 50/50.  

Basically, I just don't want to get in trouble, because I do plan on off-roading with it quite a bit.  For $25 I'll buy one if I need one, but do I?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]

I haven't bought one for mine. Are you coming up north a bit to do some KLR riding/camping with me? Hint hint!

Congrats on the new bike... where are the pics?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a416/kineticeq/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140529_132701_178_zpskfyh1jfi.jpg

I haven't bought one for mine. Are you coming up north a bit to do some KLR riding/camping with me? Hint hint!

Congrats on the new bike... where are the pics?
View Quote

Shit! I didn't know you had one!

Going to have to do this!  

Here's the only pic I have of it at the moment.  I put on some side bags and a tank bag since. (came with it, not sure if I like them or not yet.).

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just bought a KLR650.  The prior owner left the plate on.  I noticed it has the standard MC plate and tab, but it also has an OHV sticker.  

Is this actually required?  I can't tell, the law is unclear to me.  

DMV says:

Criteria (All three requirements must be met.):

The vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
The vehicle has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
The vehicle has been issued an Arizona license plate.
View Quote

It's a dual sport, and by definition (in my opinion) is not designed primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.  It's 50/50.  

Basically, I just don't want to get in trouble, because I do plan on off-roading with it quite a bit.  For $25 I'll buy one if I need one, but do I?

View Quote

A friend got a ticket on dirt with his street bike, they told him he had to have a OHV sticker to go off pavement. I can drive my truck to crown king but I have to get a OHV sticker for my street bike which is licensed for the street because it is not legal to go off road on a bike or a quad without one. This is a law we can thank California for. They have taken the money in this fund and closed trails with it, total bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes you need an OHV sticker. Anything under 1800lb has to have one. Just a way for the gov to get revenue from the off-roaders. This seemed to come about when the side by side's became popular.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Like others have said, it is required. I have one on mine. Lots of trails to ride in Arizona. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes you need an OHV sticker. Anything under 1800lb has to have one. Just a way for the gov to get revenue from the off-roaders. This seemed to come about when the side by side's became popular.
View Quote

How do they decide it's required though?  A KLR650 is clearly not designed primarily for offroad use.  Would I have to have one if I rode an FJR1300 up to CK?

I'll get one, I suppose, but it seems like they can't legally require it.  (but $25 is WAY cheaper than having to deal with court. )
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, you can take them anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll get one, I suppose, but it seems like they can't legally require it.  (but $25 is WAY cheaper than having to deal with court. )
View Quote

QFT.
It's good that you posted your question, I guess I'll get one too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I want one of those so bad...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I spoke to a "Bigshot" with the Tonto NF today. He said the Fish and Game or the Sherriff's Dpt are the ones who will write the tickets. He said the NF LEO's won't because it's a State Law, not Federal. I asked him who determines whether it's "primarily off-road" or not and he agreed it would probably be up to a court to decide.
ETA -
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
So, I went to the DMV this morning to get my bike registered and what not.  Talked to the girl about the OHV decal.  She gave me a form to fill out.  On said form I had to "certify" that the vehicle was primarily for offroad use.  I asked her what that meant.  

She says "here's the deal.  You DO NOT have to have an OHV decal for Dual Sport motorcycles.  It's not legally required.  However, Arizona Game and Fish and Sheriff's officers will often ticket people riding dual sports off-highway, even on maintained roads.  You will win in court, everyone who fights it does.  AZGF and the SO are of the opinion that it's not up to them to determine, in the field, whether a motorcycle is designed primarily for off road use; so they write you a ticket.  Is not having to go to court worth the $25?"

So, I bought one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That echoes what the FS had to say.
You chose wisely!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That echoes what the FS had to say.
You chose wisely!
View Quote

And on the extra bright side, I went in planning on taking the motorcycle skills test.  She mentioned that I had to take the written test.  I said "Ah, bummer.  Sure wish I never let my endorsement fall off when I moved to Texas back when.".   She looked up and said Good news!  If you've already had the endorsement, you just have to pay $7 and we put it back on.  Woohoo!  Saved me at least an hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top