Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 7:38:37 PM EDT
I'm a coach of the Wickenburg High School Rifle Team and I'd like to invite you to look us up on Facebook..(Wickenburg High School Rifle Team). We have been active since 1995 starting in smallbore then moving to across the course and now shooting F-Class. We are presently the holder of 2 national records in mid-range (still waiting on conformation on the second record). We have 18 active shooters and as soon as school starts in a couple of weeks, we'll pick up 6-8 more shooters. We are self-supporting through the Arizona Tax Credit. What this allows an Arizona resident to do is this. You are allowed by the Arizona Revised Statues to give up to $400, if filing jointly or $200 if filing single to any club at any school in Arizona. The state (this is where it gets good) will reimburse you penny for penny for your donation. That means you cannot lose a penny. You can't lose money on this but, you can help insure that these kids won't become anti-gun folks. They work extremely hard loading their own ammo, cleaning rifles, pulling targets for disabled vets (think M1 for Vets Program). Again take a look on our facebook page and see what we're about. If you want to check up on us you can take 1 minute and call the Wickenburg Unified School District for further information. 928-668-5350.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. I'll look into the tax thing for this year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there other rifle teams. If so id give 100 to yours and three others.  If not ill give up 400 of the states money for ypur shooting club. Ill look into it rhis weekend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We're the only high power, high school rifle team in the US. 15-20 years ago just about every ROTC unit in the high schools here in AZ had smallbore or air rifle teams. Now there are very few if any even doing that. I know of one commander that stopped their program because she didn't want her charges to be "violent". Yep, a non-violent military sounds like a wonderful idea to me
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Other than the tax credit, is there anything else your team needs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Was wondering.   This money doesnt go to some general fund for after school stuff does it?   Id  like to know that the money is exclusively funding the shooting club.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
As Rizzo asked, is there anything else the kids need and are we able to give directly to the team or does everything need to funnel down the chain of command first?

I think it's beyond cool what you are doing and what the kids have accomplished. Cheers!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there other rifle teams. If so id give 100 to yours and three others.  If not ill give up 400 of the states money for ypur shooting club. Ill look into it rhis weekend.
View Quote

If you find info mind posting it up.  I am interested also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer your questions; the money does come to the team as long as it says somewhere on the check or on an accompanying letter that it is for the rifle team. The gals at the district office or the ones at the high school itself are sooo behind the rifle team that they make 100% sure that it goes into our account. I also get a list of people that donated and the kids send out thank you notes to those people. I do check with people to make sure that if they have told me that they donated then I will check and make sure that it was put into our account. Really, this town and this school district have been just amazing supportive of us. If we weren't adding so many new kids each year we probably wouldn't be in this position but I'm still going to try to keep growing and promoting the team. I'd like to be able to get other teachers in other schools to do this.
As far as other things besides money, just about any other equipment that we might use is ALWAYS appreciated. Right now we're looking for spotting scopes as we are going to be 2-3 short when the season starts (our first team meeting for new kids is on the 11th of August). Need 1-2 mats as well. Varget or Tac powder (if any still exist) That's the main stuff. Working on getting a grant from the NRA for components and perhaps gas $ to get us to the matches.
And I'd like you guys to know how much we appreciate that you even looked at our facebook page. We spend a lot of time trying to climb the mountain of negative crap about have a rifle team in a public school.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Rizzo and AZJOGOL you can send anything that you want to the high school and just put on it Attn. Coach Powers and they'll make sure I get it. Also if you attach your name and address I'm send you a verification saying that "X" item donated to us is valued at (whatever) and you can take that off of your taxes. I'm not an expert on how to do that but my secretaries are. Call and ask for Sue in the bookstore and she can answer any questions you may have.
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Rizzo and AZJOGOL you can send anything that you want to the high school and just put on it Attn. Coach Powers and they'll make sure I get it. Also if you attach your name and address I'm send you a verification saying that "X" item donated to us is valued at (whatever) and you can take that off of your taxes. I'm not an expert on how to do that but my secretaries are. Call and ask for Sue in the bookstore and she can answer any questions you may have.
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Note to self; hitting the submit button more than once causes it to "submit" twice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The coach and his team came and toured our factory (American Spirit Arms) a while back. Good group of kids and I recommend supporting them as this is one of a dwindling number of groups that promotes the shooting sports and responsible gun ownership to future generations.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
They run a great program over in Wickenburg.

Those kids also volunteer at F class matches here in the valley.

They also help disabled vets shooting F class.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot an F/TR match in which the Wickenburg team was competing.  Great bunch of kids
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Too freaking cool!!!! Amazed a school these days will allow any team with guns! Great kids
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top