Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2014 10:51:23 AM EDT
Hello,

Looking for Gun trust Lawyer in AZ for Class III items. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Tim Forshey does quite a few.  I think he quoted me $300 when I was looking at getting one.  Derek at AZEX does them with Quicken for $60 I think and I've never heard of any problems (other than Derek being a grouchy gunsmith, but that's par for the course).  It might be simpler to go the route on the provided link though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I did it through the link, and have used it for Two suppressors.
All it cost was getting it notarized.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tim Forshey does quite a few.  I think he quoted me $300 when I was looking at getting one.  Derek at AZEX does them with Quicken for $60 I think and I've never heard of any problems (other than Derek being a grouchy gunsmith, but that's par for the course).  It might be simpler to go the route on the provided link though.
View Quote

+1 for Tim Forshey.

602-266-7667

I would keep his number on hand even if you do not use him for your trust needs. Having the number to a pro-gun attorney can never hurt!
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought they did away with doing a trust for class 3?

Jon
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jon
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!

Dumb Question :

Can a Gun Trust Lawyer in Las Vegas NV write a Gun Trust for me for Arizona?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I would guess so, I think it's all about verbage and where it ws notarized.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would guess so, I think it's all about verbage and where it ws notarized.
View Quote

Thanks, looks like Im either gonna go thru an AZ lawyer or write on up myself from the link above.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can someone elaborate?  I remember Obummer was going to do some executive order crap to close down gun trusts for NFA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jon

Nope

Can someone elaborate?  I remember Obummer was going to do some executive order crap to close down gun trusts for NFA.

GD thread on the subject

I haven't stayed up to date recently, but last I heard the changes were still on the table but you're looking at next year before anything is implemented.

ETA - I don't think they have grounds really to "do away with a trust" as a purchasing entity, since a trust is a legally recognized entity. They were just looking at making it so everyone responsible for a trust would have to jump through the same hoops as if they were doing an individual transfer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I use Eric English in Prescott, AZ. So have several other members here, and a lot of our students, as well.

English Law Firm

He's not just a lawyer, but also a real gun guy, shooter, hunter, family man, and a member here on ARFCOM. Plus you know where he stands when you see the back of his truck:

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Dumb Question :

Can a Gun Trust Lawyer in Las Vegas NV write a Gun Trust for me for Arizona?
View Quote
It depends if he is licensed to practice law in Arizona.  Every state has their own regulations on what what a trust consists of.  So that is why he would need to be licensed here.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I ended up using David Goldman.  Aka "The Gun Trust Lawyer".  Yeah I could've used someone local and probably would've cheaper too but, I was pressed for time when I did last year due the whole 41P stuff.  Mind you he does use local lawyers to draft and finalize your trust.  Plus the few times I have had questions him and his staff always answered my questions, even on a weekend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Any other Gun Trust Lawyers in AZ that anyone would like to share?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone used Tom Bouman in tucson? The cost appears to be $495 which seems a little high compared to what others have posted. It looks like he specializes in trusts/wills and I like the idea of using someone local so I can have a face to face appointment.

Any input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Perhaps I lack vision, or a certain paranoia, but I'm in about $3K just in stamps on my $8 copy of Quicken Willmaker.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Perhaps I lack vision, or a certain paranoia, but I'm in about $3K just in stamps on my $8 copy of Quicken Willmaker.
View Quote

It's all about protection that is specific. A general will is different that a firearms/NFA specific will in language and execution.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1 for Tim Forshey.

602-266-7667

I would keep his number on hand even if you do not use him for your trust needs. Having the number to a pro-gun attorney can never hurt!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for Tim Forshey.

602-266-7667

I have one of his cards in my wallet in case I need to make that self defense shoot, met him years and years ago at shooters world.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd just use the DIY.  That's what I did and then had it reviewed by an attorney.  It was cheaper that way as opposed to having them write the entire thing up.  They didn't make any changes.

CMS
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I was looking into getting a can and found a law firm that is doing gun trusts in only a handful of states, Arizona being one of them, for $125.

Having an actual lawyer behind it makes me feel better than using quicken. I did a bit of looking around and the guy seem legit, he is a gun guy as well.

http://thefirearmlawyers.com/

Tim Forshey is a gun guy as well, did my CCW with him at SGC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Another +1 for Tim Forshey.

Heck of a nice guy. Really helped me out a few months back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's all about protection that is specific. A general will is different that a firearms/NFA specific will in language and execution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quicken Willmaker makes trusts, too... I've got a fat stack of stamps to show for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quicken Willmaker makes trusts, too... I've got a fat stack of stamps to show for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting stamps approved doesn't mean it will hold up to scrutiny when you pass away or cover the different specific scenarios that could potentially arise with the intricacies of NFA items. Per your trust, what happens to your NFA items if your beneficiary is a prohibited possessor at the point your trust assets need to be distributed? I'm guessing yours doesn't cover that, but it's kindof the point of the thing. If you're just wanting a vehicle to allow you to purchase NFA items without CLEO and prints, etc., then great, but personally I wouldn't burden my beneficiaries with my personal lack of concern.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using such programs to setup NFA trusts, but I abhor this smugness about doing this kind of thing on the cheap like it's something to beat your chest about.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Getting stamps approved doesn't mean it will hold up to scrutiny when you pass away or cover the different specific scenarios that could potentially arise with the intricacies of NFA items. Per your trust, what happens to your NFA items if your beneficiary is a prohibited possessor at the point your trust assets need to be distributed? I'm guessing yours doesn't cover that, but it's kindof the point of the thing. If you're just wanting a vehicle to allow you to purchase NFA items without CLEO and prints, etc., then great, but personally I wouldn't burden my beneficiaries with my personal lack of concern.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using such programs to setup NFA trusts, but I abhor this smugness about doing this kind of thing on the cheap like it's something to beat your chest about.
View Quote

Nail on the head, better than I could say it.

In fact, we'll be talking more about this (among other things) on next week's show, where we will have Eric English (see the photo with the Gadsen tailgate above) on as a guest. The Arms Room
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Per your trust, what happens to your NFA items if your beneficiary is a prohibited possessor at the point your trust assets need to be distributed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per your trust, what happens to your NFA items if your beneficiary is a prohibited possessor at the point your trust assets need to be distributed?

Then it will be illegal for for my beneficiary to receive my trust assets, just like it already is.

I'm not selling anything...I'm just saying.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top