Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 7:56:23 PM EDT

After Rizzo's precision rifle class, I fell in love with the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge (thanks kevinjs1!).  I found out that it would fit in an AR10 platform and my wallet hasn't been the same since.

The parts (mostly) came in tonight, so I mocked her up.  Specs below:

-Quentin Billet Lower and LPK

-Geissele DMR Trigger

-DPMS Upper and Bolt Carrier Assy

-Krieger 26" 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel 1 in 8" Twist

-Midwest Industries 15" Keymod FF Handguard

-Wilson Combat Adjustable Gas Block (hasn't arrived yet)

-Vortex Viper PST 2-10X FFP Scope

-LaRue Tactical LT745 Mount 20 MOA Offset

-LaRue OBR Grip is on backorder, so standard grip is filling in

I can't wait to shoot this thing!

Update-

I got everything put together and headed out to the range to test fire today. First shot was fine-brass ejected, but bolt didn't lock back. Checked the brass and it had some ejector swipe, but nothing crazy. Second shot, retrieve brass and find a hole in the primer. That's not good...  Third shot, pierced primer again and I was done.

I'll post up some pics when I'm not on phone. I think that either the chamber is too tight or the bullets are right up on the lands. Ammo was factory Hornady 120 Amax.

So...anyone know a gunsmith in town with 6.5 Creedmoor gauges and a reamer???

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna need some more mag to stretch its legs! 6.5 Creed (and most of the other wünder 6's) will outshoot 10x pretty regularly. Let's see some pics of it ringing steel at 1k!!!! In fact, you should probably call your local postal inspector and ask some pointed questions regarding where the rest of your parts are located. You should be taking that thing out tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gonna need some more mag to stretch its legs! 6.5 Creed (and most of the other wünder 6's) will outshoot 10x pretty regularly. Let's see some pics of it ringing steel at 1k!!!! In fact, you should probably call your local postal inspector and ask some pointed questions regarding where the rest of your parts are located. You should be taking that thing out tomorrow!
View Quote
I doubt I'll have many chances to take it past 1000 yards. In Rizzo's class I was using my 16x max PST and I rarely had it cranked higher than 12x. The size of this scope and the fact that it has a larger adjustment range than the 4-16x attracted me to it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice setup.

I've got a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP in LaRue LT745 20 MOA mount, and a PST 2.5-10x FFP in LaRue LT104 mount that I swap between on my LMT MWSE .308.

While surely not apples to apples in caliber, I too will say that I prefer more than the 10x when I stretch it out.

Though I'm currently pondering parting with both optics to fund a Mark 6 3-18x for the LMT. I don't shoot it under 200 yards, and don't have a need to.

Regardless, post some pics of your rig.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool.  That $600 barrel is a pig.  I hope it comes with a porter to hump it around.  

I bet it's a shooter though.  With a barrel like that I'd want to true the receiver and maybe glue it in although the DPMS receiver is pretty beefy.   I wonder what the boys at GA Precision do to make their guns shoot.  They seem to prefer the 6mm Creedmoor in their gas guns.  Either way, an interesting round.  

http://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/6mm-creedmoor/
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Pretty cool.  That $600 barrel is a pig.  I hope it comes with a porter to hump it around.  

I bet it's a shooter though.  With a barrel like that I'd want to true the receiver and maybe glue it in although the DPMS receiver is pretty beefy.   I wonder what the boys at GA Precision do to make their guns shoot.  They seem to prefer the 6mm Creedmoor in their gas guns.  Either way, an interesting round.  

http://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/6mm-creedmoor/
View Quote
Yup, she's a fat bitch for sure. It should be a soft and stable shooter. Everything fits very tight.

I'll have to check out the 6 Creed. There's always the possibility of a rebarrel down the road...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Tight is good.  I've been toying with the 6mm in an AR-10.   Always a project.  

Would be really interesting in a DPMS Gen II platform.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/6mm-creedmoor-die-set.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang it, all I'm getting is a Red X.
Sounds like a great build though, and yeah you'll be wanting a higher powered scope in no time.
Well, my old eyes need the extra power anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice build! Needs more Cerakote and/or Krylon, though . . . .

Quoted:
View Quote

High mag is overrated. Most of my 1000m engagements are 8-10x, beyond that I rarely even get past 12x. Mirage and other factors make high mag a pain and a detriment to accuracy, especially from field positions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
It will be getting Cerakoted down the road for sure. That pipe is quite conspicuous.

The rifle is at the gunsmith now. I was having issues getting the barrel nut to line up with the gas tube. Rather than jack it up I called in a favor. I'm hoping to have the first rounds down range by next Tuesday. I'll post an AAR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking of getting that scope to throw on my upcoming Grendel, how do you like it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will be getting Cerakoted down the road for sure. That pipe is quite conspicuous.  

The rifle is at the gunsmith now. I was having issues getting the barrel nut to line up with the gas tube. Rather than jack it up I called in a favor. I'm hoping to have the first rounds down range by next Tuesday. I'll post an AAR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea, facing the upper is a good thing.  It'll be interesting to see how it cycles.  The DPMS bolts and uppers I've dealt with required quite a bit of gas to operate 20" barrels in .308.  I had to open up a couple 20" barrel ports  to .093 and .096 to get them to cycle in .308.   Having the extra 6" should help with a smaller port assuming Krieger drills their ports in the .078" range.   If for some reason it won't cycle, you'll have to drill the port.   I'm curious whether you'll run into the same issues I've had with DPMS uppers.  I'm guessing not with a 26" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm thinking of getting that scope to throw on my upcoming Grendel, how do you like it?
View Quote
So far, so good. At 2.5x the reticle is pretty small, but illuminated it will work well for quick shots. I will reserve any more judgement until I shoot it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good idea, facing the upper is a good thing.  It'll be interesting to see how it cycles.  The DPMS bolts and uppers I've dealt with required quite a bit of gas to operate 20" barrels in .308.  I had to open up a couple 20" barrel ports  to .093 and .096 to get them to cycle in .308.   Having the extra 6" should help with a smaller port assuming Krieger drills their ports in the .078" range.   If for some reason it won't cycle, you'll have to drill the port.   I'm curious whether you'll run into the same issues I've had with DPMS uppers.  I'm guessing not with a 26" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think with 26 inches of barrel there should be sufficient pressure. I will see how much I have to open up the adjustable block. I suppose I could just drill the hole out a bit and compensate with the block, but I'm not too worried.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Update in op with fail...
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Phoenix custom rifles is the only ones I would trust in the valley with a precision rifle. They may only work on bolt guns though, give em a call.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Phoenix custom rifles is the only ones I would trust in the valley with a precision rifle. They may only work on bolt guns though, give em a call.
View Quote

This. Otherwise check out LRK Mechanical in Prescott - my shop of choice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

High mag is overrated. Most of my 1000m engagements are 8-10x, beyond that I rarely even get past 12x. Mirage and other factors make high mag a pain and a detriment to accuracy, especially from field positions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can always dial down, but you max out your mag and that's all you get. I was ringing the 554m rams out at 3 Points last week with my 5.56 AR at every mag from 2.5 to 10x (practicing holds at different mag with a sfp optic). I was also nailing them at 15x with my .308 GAP. I could do it with either, but would rather have the top end and not need it, than wish I had more. With a caliber with the legs to easily go beyond 1k, why limit yourself? Fighting to make hits at 10x when you could be much more successful at 15x isn't a learning experience unless your hit rate remains unchanged, and nothing says you've gotta shoot at max mag.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Check firing pin protrusion. It shouldn't be longer then .032-.038 inches from the bolt face.

Longer protrusion can cause pierced primers. To short a firing pin protrusion causes light strike type issues on harder primers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit was there some pressure going on!  Pics of the brass and BCG:

Bolt face-you can practically read the headstamp.  And note the piece of primer stuck in the firing pin channel:

This is a brand new bolt and those lugs look unhappy:

Firing pin with one of the two pieces of primer that were in the channel:

The force bent the firing pin retainer:

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn that's crazy a couple shots made the bolt look well used, and from the looks of that solid pin I'm glad you had it over just a cotter key because it probably would have done even more damage.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#22]
HOLY SHIT!!!! Yeah, something definitely ain't right.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy shit.  What are you going to do to fix the problem lighter loads?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Holy shit.  What are you going to do to fix the problem lighter loads?
View Quote
This was a factory Hornady load.  There is something with the chamber that isn't right.  Either the throat is too short and the bullets are up against the rifling or the chamber itself is too short.  I will be sending the gun off somewhere to be worked over.  I am disappointed with the issues, but glad I didn't do anything stupid and keep shooting.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I had my GoPro pointing back at me while I was firing.  I'm not going to post it on here as my face is all over it, but if you know me and want to shoot an IM I will send you the link.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Dual,

I started having pressure problems with my 140's in lot number 3132922. I shot factory ammo in our class but it was loaded in 2009 and 2010. I started getting huge pressure spikes, difficulty extracting, heavier primer strikes, blown primers and ejector marks on the case faces. I had Hornady test the ammo and they said it was in spec, but a thread on Sniper's Hide says they loaded a bunch of factory loads hotter. Hornady tested the same ammo in 4 rifles at the factory and a friend shot it out of his AIAW without any issues. The rumor is they may have changed powder from H4350 to something else due to the powder shortages.

I haven't been reading up on the 120's but it could be a similar problem.

Holy shit that is hot for such few rounds fired. Definitely have the rifle looked at no matter what.

I also have a Krieger barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the info on the ammo Kevin. Lot # is 3133161.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]
The primers do not look to be very flat or to have flowed as I expect from high pressure loads.
When my reloads in 223 or 308 get into the high pressure range the primers are totally flat and flow into the primer pocket. The rest of your pics and description are consistent with high pressure
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I would suspect the ammo, Hornady has had issues with pierced primers before with other ammunition in guns with certain barrel lengths and gas systems. I'd also check the length of your firing pin before sending the gun away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was surprised that even though I was using 15x-20x magnification on Day 1 and 2 in Rizzo's class I used 10x all day on day 3 for 100-1000 yards and I didn't even notice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was surprised that even though I was using 15x-20x magnification on Day 1 and 2 in Rizzo's class I used 10x all day on day 3 for 100-1000 yards and I didn't even notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you enjoy using 10x, by all means, but the big guys disagree with that line of thinking. Like I said, you can always dial down, but when you need it, you can't dial up. PRS isn't a bench competition. No offense intended to Rizzo, I know he's good behind a gun, but these guys have it down to a science and an art form, and they don't share his opinion on the matter. If Mario Andretti gives you advice when it comes to putting the pedal down, you'd be well advised to listen.

Again I'll reiterate, you can always dial down, but if you max mag and you need more, you're shit out of luck. You should have as much magnification as your rifle is capable of utilizing, to short change yourself doesn't make you a better shooter.

PRS Optic data #1
PRS Optic data #2

Regardless, we're getting off topic. DualShooter needs his gun sorted!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you enjoy using 10x, by all means, but the big guys disagree with that line of thinking. Like I said, you can always dial down, but when you need it, you can't dial up. PRS isn't a bench competition. No offense intended to Rizzo, I know he's good behind a gun, but these guys have it down to a science and an art form, and they don't share his opinion on the matter. If Mario Andretti gives you advice when it comes to putting the pedal down, you'd be well advised to listen.

Again I'll reiterate, you can always dial down, but if you max mag and you need more, you're shit out of luck. You should have as much magnification as your rifle is capable of utilizing, to short change yourself doesn't make you a better shooter.

PRS Optic data #1
PRS Optic data #2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PRS Optic data #1
PRS Optic data #2

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't have a chance to call Hornady yesterday. It's looking more and more ammo related with the research I've done. I still think an aspect of it may be an excessively short throat, so the gun is going to go somewhere for a look before it goes back out. I'm hoping to call Hornady today, but it might be a while before I get the gun somewhere.

As far as the magnification, this isn't meant to be a bench only gun. It will go out in the field with me for some hunting and I really like having a low power option for quick shots. My predator hunting setup has a 2-7x and rarely goes over 4x. I felt the 2.5-10 was a good compromise of magnification range, weight, and cost for the tasks at hand. If I choose to REALLY stretch this thing out, I have the 4-16x that I can easily put on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#34]
making me nervous, i almost have all of the parts for my 6.5 cm (just need the scope rings) and i've been stock piling various batches of 6.5cm over the past year

mines pretty similar to yours except with a 24" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top