Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 1:18:10 PM EDT
Got my first jury summons after living in AZ for 15 years.  I have some trepidation that they will scew around with my time but I know I'd want someone like me on the jury if I was innocent.

Only possible issues are they say I am called for May 15.  I might be having knee surgery close to that date.  And I better not get on any kind of trial that takes 3 months.  I won't do it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been trying to get on a jury for a while.  no luck.  And if you are getting surgery done, and getting sick time, what better way to spend it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My issue is if I can drive.  I may have both knees done.  I might be unable to drive or walk well for a few days.  If it is in the middle of this I have a problem.

I dont mind serving.  I just need to know what the heck is going on and I do NOT want to serve on a 2 year national interest trial.  Not doing that.  No trial should need more than a month to conduct.  If they can't convince me of guilt in a month I'm done with it.  Not guilty.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Been called 3 times.

1st I wasn't selected after interviewing with judge.
2nd was too close to the first date.
3rd was told not to come in on the night before call.

If you just got out of surgery it'll be easy to get out of.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you'll get sent to grand jury.  Plenty of time to heal over 8 weeks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My issue is if I can drive.  I may have both knees done.  I might be unable to drive or walk well for a few days.  If it is in the middle of this I have a problem.

I dont mind serving.  I just need to know what the heck is going on and I do NOT want to serve on a 2 year national interest trial.  Not doing that.  No trial should need more than a month to conduct.  If they can't convince me of guilt in a month I'm done with it.  Not guilty.
View Quote

During voir dire they will give you an idea of how long the trial will take.  They will usually give you an idea of what the subject matter is.  This is done up front before they even get to asking about names, family, etc.  They want to weed out those who can't serve for some sort of hardship reason long before they start finding out more about you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe you'll get sent to grand jury.  Plenty of time to heal over 8 weeks.

View Quote

My wife (sorry no pic, I know... rules) was selected to the Maricopa Grand Jury. 2 days a week for 4 months.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I may have an issue then.  I typically rotate between AZ and Thailand.  3 months here, 3 months there.  I am scheduled on a flight in mid August to return.

I'm happy to do my duty but I am not happy to disrupt my life because the system is so cumbersome.  May 15th jury duty should mean I am done and dusted by July 15th.    They better have it figured out so I don't have to beg off.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top