Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 5:36:42 PM EDT
The U.S. government is taking no action on an “unbelievable foray” in which two Mexican soldiers came across the border near Sasabe, Ariz., and held U.S. Border Patrol agents at gunpoint for half an hour, according to a government watchdog organization.
View Quote

Mexican Soldiers Draw Guns on U.S. Agents

....I can't hardly believe what you guys in AZ are putting up with....

"...no action will be taken..." wtf?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The Border is pretty porous and not well defined in places.  I used to ride my XR650R into Mexico all the time at Algodones (Buttercup) until they put up a big ugly fence across the dunes.  Buttercup isn't the same.  

I like the idea of the fence but I'm not sure it helps much.  What really makes me angry, though, is this administration using Jaguar migration as an attempt to prevent a fence from being constructed.  They might as well set aside a Bigfoot corridor.  

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/center/articles/2014/time-03-04-2014.html

This is my favorite quote from the article:

"The Fish and Wildlife Service also said the designation will not affect border security, including routine patrols by law enforcement."

Such, horseshit.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea of the fence but I'm not sure it helps much. What really makes me angry, though, is this administration using Jaguar migration as an attempt to prevent a fence from being constructed. They might as well set aside a Bigfoot corridor.
View Quote

Roger, that!

That recent NV land-grab was poised because of some turtle being "endangered," but the gobmint's own records showed the silly-assed things were over-populating the desert, and the gobmint themselves were euthanizing the excess!

This outfit now in DC is nothing but a bunch of lying sacks 'o manure.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly a fence doesn't really help and is a waste of resources IMHO. The fence will only keep out the individual who has a marginal desire to cross the border and little means.

Increasing penalties (and enforcing them) along with increased patrols, restricting services, and denying employment will help however.

The problem with immigration is that it is like a profusely bleeding wound. You can try to pack the wound as best you can to stem the flow but until you actually fix the problem it will continue to still bleed.

Mexico needs to become the 51st state.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
MINE IT!!  WE ARE ONE OF THE FEW NATIONS THAT WON'T SIGN THE UN MINE TREATY, USE IT!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MINE IT!!  WE ARE ONE OF THE FEW NATIONS THAT WON'T SIGN THE UN MINE TREATY, USE IT!!
View Quote
It's because of the DMZ in Korea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The untold second part of that story as narrated by Bullet_:

While the soldiers, who were paid a small amount of money to distract the BP, a huge shipment of drugs crossed the border in an other location.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh HELL no! We wouldn't survive.

If we really wanted to stop illegal immigration, we'd severely punish those who hire them. SEVERELY, not a tap on the wrist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If we really wanted to stop illegal immigration, we'd severely punish those who hire them. SEVERELY, not a tap on the wrist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? They have a vast amount of resources, arable land, and strategic location. Mexico is actually a very wealthy country in terms of resources, it is just run like shit.

If everyone wants to come to the US and the Mexican government isn't doing anything to stop the migration then lets make it easy for them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why not? They have a vast amount of resources, arable land, and strategic location. Mexico is actually a very wealthy country in terms of resources, it is just run like shit.

If everyone wants to come to the US and the Mexican government isn't doing anything to stop the migration then lets make it easy for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all for it if all we inherit are the resources. However we would also inherit all the scourge and additional corruption. We have enough of that already. A better approach would be to cut the 800 million in aid we sent them. Cut it to zero. Use that money to offset the housing of their criminals, to offset the medical expenses incurred when an illegal gets drunk and crashes into a family and puts them in the hospital, etc..

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm all for it if all we inherit are the resources. However we would also inherit all the scourge and additional corruption. We have enough of that already. A better approach would be to cut the 800 million in aid we sent them. Cut it to zero. Use that money to offset the housing of their criminals, to offset the medical expenses incurred when an illegal gets drunk and crashes into a family and puts them in the hospital, etc..

View Quote

We already are dealing with the affects of their corruption and scourge. If we annexed the country we would at least be able to do something about it, permanently.

Mexico is like a wound on a finger. You can tie that finger off and pretend it doesn't exist but eventually the nastiness will spill over. If you go in and cut the infection out and invest the time and effort to heal that finger in the end you get something productive.

800 million does nothing to offset what we spend to deal with issues from Mexico. You can temporarily patch a problem or you can fix the problem.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Would that make Mexican made Stratocasters made in the USA Stratocasters?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The difference between US and Mexico border and the North and South Korea border is the Korea border stops movement.  As far as adopting Mexico or making it a territory we will create a horrible insurgency in our own country.  The corruption won't just stop because we step in, recent events testify to that
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The difference between US and Mexico border and the North and South Korea border is the Korea border stops movement.  As far as adopting Mexico or making it a territory we will create a horrible insurgency in our own country.  The corruption won't just stop because we step in, recent events testify to that
View Quote

And the reason why the Korean border stops movement is that both parties work to make that happen, unlike the US/Mexican border.

I honestly do not think that Mexico would have to be taken by force creating an insurgency, offering the common man everything the US offers I think would swing the popular vote.

Yes it would take years and billions/trillions to develop Mexcio but the end payoff of the resources would make it worth it. The Louisiana purchase and acquisition of Alaska were considered wastes of resources too.

Edit:

Also keep in mind that many Mexicans are actually very conservative. Most of the Mexicans here in the US lean liberal simply because of immigration and social service access. If they were brought into the fold then the issues they typically vote on would be gone and they would lean back towards their conservative roots.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Fences prevent shotgun vehicle loads and act as a bottleneck. They work but aren't your magic fix you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top