Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2014 9:29:38 PM EDT
I've had (pretty sure based on symptoms) tennis elbow going on nearly 3 months now.  Been wearing the little brace thing, but it's not making a difference.  At this point, it's starting to affect my quality of life.  I pretty much cannot fire a handgun with only my strong hand.  I can, but it hurts like hell.  Even shaking hands can be very painful.

I don't have insurance, so I'll be paying out of pocket.  

I've heard a cortisone shot is pretty good for this.  Any of you guys had this issue?  Recommendations on what sort of Doc to go see?  As I'm paying cash, I'm not interested in running around getting referrals.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar issue with my elbow and after doing theropy for 2 months it did not get any better.  I finally got the shot and it did not hurt anymore after 24 hours.  The pain has not come back either.  It was the best thing  that I could have done.  I however don't have any recomendations on who to use.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Self diagnosis might be tough on this. I had similar symptoms to tennis elbow....ended up being a REALLY bad muscle injury under my shoulder blade. It knotted and swelled causing pain that was in my elbow. Weird i know but it is what happened, something to do with rotation and tendons/pressure etc. Some massage and light duty, after a few weeks the elbow was fine....now just the damaged muscle tissue just hurts and i can "live" with that most days. Anyways long point of saying find a good physical therapist/chiro/doc in your area first to confirm your suspicions... The local MyDrNOW is like $50 for cash customers....had my kids broken arm set and my back pain checked out there before our insurance kicked in a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self diagnosis might be tough on this. I had similar symptoms to tennis elbow....ended up being a REALLY bad muscle injury under my shoulder blade. It knotted and swelled causing pain that was in my elbow. Weird i know but it is what happened, something to do with rotation and tendons/pressure etc. Some massage and light duty, after a few weeks the elbow was fine....now just the damaged muscle tissue just hurts and i can "live" with that most days. Anyways long point of saying find a good physical therapist/chiro/doc in your area first to confirm your suspicions... The local MyDrNOW is like $50 for cash customers....had my kids broken arm set and my back pain checked out there before our insurance kicked in a few years ago.
View Quote

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the tennis elbow thing.  It fits every symptom.  

It's really starting to suck.  I even switched to drinking my morning coffee left handed because it hurts to lift up the cup.  At this point I'm more worried about losing muscle than anything else.  I need my right hand to work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]

I've had cortisone and synvisc.  They both hurt.  They both work for a spell.  Then you go right back to hurting.

Once those rubber bands get stretched, that's it.  They ain't never the same again.  

You'll learn to adapt and you be fine.  But then your knee will get fucked up.  Then you got a fucked up knee and a fucked up elbow.  Which is going to cause you to compensate and fuck your back up.  Then your other knee starts getting bad.  You take a pill. But then a little won't do it so a little gets more and more.  The physical therapy didn't work so you hit up that massage place on Thunderbird.  The morphine makes the massage whore all that much more irresistible, and the next thing you know you're living in a trailer in AJ with a 53 y/o handjob momma and posting ads on craigslist to party-n-play on Tuesday morning.

Sorry for the bad news. Get well soon.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
get a real diagnoses from a Dr. It could be something else going on in there. I had real bad ulnar nerve entrapment that no shots cured. Had to get surgery and a few months rehab.

So, get it checked out and make sure that's what it is because its a serious injury.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I was diagnosed with tennis elbow.  It was painful and sucked badly.  The doctor said it is very difficult to get the cortisone in the right place to help with tennis elbow.  It had to do with something about the way the tendons are positioned there.  So, I had to back off the heavy lifting, ice it, and wear a tennis elbow brace.

I first bought a cheap one made by Ace with an air bubble.  Do not waste your money on these.  I bought one from Mueller that worked really well.  Eventually, it got better.  Now I only wear the brace when I am doing any kind of lifting.  Here is the exact brace I bought This Brace

I hope you get better soon!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had (pretty sure based on symptoms) tennis elbow going on nearly 3 months now.  Been wearing the little brace thing, but it's not making a difference.  At this point, it's starting to affect my quality of life.  I pretty much cannot fire a handgun with only my strong hand.  I can, but it hurts like hell.  Even shaking hands can be very painful.

I've heard a cortisone shot is pretty good for this.  Any of you guys had this issue?  Recommendations on what sort of Doc to go see?  As I'm paying cash, I'm not interested in running around getting referrals.  

View Quote

Now I feel bad for hurting you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My doctor gave me a shot with cortisone and an anti-inflamitory.  Hurt like hell getting the shot.  Laid off lifting and playing racketball for a couple of months and all the pain went away.  That was 3 years ago and has never came back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm calling Obama.

I'm sure you've tried about everything. But what about ice. Every chance you get. Or Icy Hot to help with the pain. Ibuprofen might help with inflammation as well.

I've never had it as bad as you, so I've never dealt with the cortizone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
My family goes to Dr. David Reed for chiropractic care. We really like him and he has special plans for those who pay out of pocket.

http://chiropractorintempeaz.com/
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.roguefitness.com/hand-x-band.php

I used the poor man's version (heavy duty rubber bands) when  afflicted with the tennis elbow.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
... worked perfectly for me, same exact ailment. Symptoms went away completely. Shot hurt like hell
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've had cortisone and synvisc.  They both hurt.  They both work for a spell.  Then you go right back to hurting.

Once those rubber bands get stretched, that's it.  They ain't never the same again.  

You'll learn to adapt and you be fine.  But then your knee will get fucked up.  Then you got a fucked up knee and a fucked up elbow.  Which is going to cause you to compensate and fuck your back up.  Then your other knee starts getting bad.  You take a pill. But then a little won't do it so a little gets more and more.  The physical therapy didn't work so you hit up that massage place on Thunderbird.  The morphine makes the massage whore all that much more irresistible, and the next thing you know you're living in a trailer in AJ with a 53 y/o handjob momma and posting ads on craigslist to party-n-play on Tuesday morning.

View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ROFL.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

I know I'm damaging my body by just being alive, and by the things I do.  If they could just fix it so I couldn't feel the pain, I wouldn't care.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

7M3 will go down in history as one of the greatest autobiographers of all time. Only.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#16]
As a physical therapist I find that tendonitis issues typically stem from joint malalignment issues as well as many other nagging injuries that don't seem to go away.  Tennis elbow is one of those.  The shots relieve the inflammation so it feels better but the question is WHY did it happen in the first place?  I think the alignment just goes back for some people so it doesn't come back but if it doesn't stay that's when you need to find somebody that understands joint alignment whether it be a DO, chiro, or PT.  

Shoot me a PM if you want.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As a physical therapist I find that tendonitis issues typically stem from joint malalignment issues as well as many other nagging injuries that don't seem to go away.  Tennis elbow is one of those.  The shots relieve the inflammation so it feels better but the question is WHY did it happen in the first place?  I think the alignment just goes back for some people so it doesn't come back but if it doesn't stay that's when you need to find somebody that understands joint alignment whether it be a DO, chiro, or PT.  

View Quote

Hey your still alive.....you haven't posted in awhile
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been super busy at the clinic as well as coaching track among other things.  I lurk occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I stopped in to his shop to grab some stickers and show him my new colt commander as I was on my way to the gym. The week prior I had finally benched 300lbs so he thought it would be a good idea to arm wrestle with me. He won but at what cost? Lol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I stopped in to his shop to grab some stickers and show him my new colt commander as I was on my way to the gym. The week prior I had finally benched 300lbs so he thought it would be a good idea to arm wrestle with me. He won but at what cost? Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still kicked your ass though.  

Honestly though, the arm wrestling 'motion' causes zero pain, even now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking that could be a possible source of that misalignment he was talking about? Idk I didn't even stay at a holiday inn express last night.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Wife cut you off for a couple weeks....???
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I had issues with my hand for over 7 years.  I didn't want the cortisone shot because I had heard horror stories about it.

A couple months ago my chiropractor fixed it.  
I'd avoid the shot and look into a good chiropractor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#24]
cortisone shot worked great for me on a couple occasions, but it may come back if you don't take it easy.   Physical therapy is overrated and I think mostly just used to suck up insurance dollars.

Try ice, lots of ice.   Every night,  put on an ice pack for an hour or so when watching tv.  Alternate both sides of your arm.   I also try to use one of the arm braces when doing any sort of repetitive motion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#25]
to everyone that keep saying ICE.....I think you are missing the point of icing an injury.....
Many, if not all non tear, muscle and tendon injuries hurt due to inflammation of the surrounding tissue. Inflammation causes pressure, which causes muscle/tendon tension, which causes pain AND inflammation and the cycle repeats itself. You MUST fix the original injury to stop the inflammation and pain cycle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo (well minus the trailer in Apache Junction). Have had shots in multiple joints/spine for various injuries and it works well for a varying length of time and then goes right back to how it was prior to the injections.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]
This is a great thread.  Anyone else have input?  I've got tendinitis in my right elbow and forearm something bad.  It all started when we moved - the day before we moved, I spent 18 hours running a bobcat and shoveling 3/4" granite, getting the backyard squared away at the new house.  It hurt then, and six months later it still hurts.  I went to a GP, he wanted to give me the cortisone shot.  My wife is in health care, she said the shot is a "band aid" so I passed on the shot.  Some days are worse than others, the pressure point wrap, ice, and 500mg of Naproxen help but only in the short term and as long as I avoid working it too much.  Went back to the GP, he said I need PT.  I'm not sure how to go forward to fix it.  Curve ball - I'm a semi-pro rock drummer (that's me in my avatar), this is really a problem.  Kevin007, you in the West Valley by chance?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a HUGE fan of Kelly Starret and his ideas. I have just started reading since a lot of his stuff is not cheap or easy to find....

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am a HUGE fan of Kelly Starret and his ideas. I have just started reading since a lot of his stuff is not cheap or easy to find....
http://youtu.be/9US9vtVj4y8

http://youtu.be/3MMuqfru7eE
View Quote

Wow.....I learned something new.  I did his exercise from the second video, where he pins the shoulder and then rotates the arm......when I do that, my shoulder sounds like a have a bad bearing or full of rice crispies lol......and I get little nerve jolts running down through my fingers.  That shoulder gives me trouble when I lift too, particularly the overhead military press.......crunch, crunch.

That was worth the watch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
your tendons are likely a mess (could be other things....) find a physical therapist that understands range of motion needs. Look to sports guys, they usually cost more but mine got me off a cane and standing upright with little to no pain in a few weeks seceral years ago. Every time i tweak my back i can see where i got lazy and did not follow his advice/regimen. I just wish i remembered his name
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is why I don't post much any more.  Have fun!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top