Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 12:30:52 PM EDT
I am not sure where to go with this so I have few questions I like to ask and hope someone can direct me to the answers or where I can get them answered

I don't know how true but after June of 2014 things will get a bit tougher with ATF proposed rule change

{It is unclear when and in what form the ATF’s proposed rule change will be implemented.  The ATF estimates that the final rule will be published some time in June 2014}

What else do I need after paying for Gun Trust from SilencerShop.com of $129.95 (sign & notarized)?  Is that it for Gun Trust and I am good to go?

Can one use CCW permit to purchase suppressor to speed up the process (background check, finger print, etc....)?

Can one carry his/her suppressor with him/her everywhere without the firearm, it is legal? To avoid what can happen below.....

{If the wife stays at home that day and could have access to the suppressor, she is committing a federal felony offense that carries a prison sentence of up to 10 years and/or a fine of up to $250,000.  26 U.S.C. §§ 5861, 5871; 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b).}

I am still looking for a deal and place to purchase my suppressor, if any suggestion please send my way

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My $0.02:

I am not a lawyer, BATFE agent, or anything else besides a guy who buys, sells, and uses guns frequently. I am also new to suppressors, and can only go off of what I know from research.

The trust from SS is convenient, but is just another generic trust. You can get one for free from multiple sources, including a post stickied in the AZ HTF. I used Quicken Willmaker 2007 for my suppressor, because it's the same I used for my SBRs.  If it were me, I'd save the money and go this route. Also, it's just a trust, there's nothing actually called a gun trust. Only people buying NFA stuff call these gun trusts, as they are really just trusts.

You can travel with your suppressor anywhere they are lawful (i.e.: you can't take it to Cali just because). No paperwork necessary to take across state lines / fly with it, besides your tax stamp (copy). Others will say bring a copy of your trust too, to show you are a trustee and lawfully allowed to have it.

CCW doesn't help, ESP with a trust because you don't own things in the trust.

Wife / anyone else can use suppressor as long as they're trustees. ETA: you *should* keep it secure when it's not with you / a trustee though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, click the Armory tab up top and there is a class 3 subforum and a suppressor one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My $0.02:

I am not a lawyer, BATFE agent, or anything else besides a guy who buys, sells, and uses guns frequently. I am also new to suppressors, and can only go off of what I know from research.

The trust from SS is convenient, but is just another generic trust. You can get one for free from multiple sources, including a post stickied in the AZ HTF. I used Quicken Willmaker 2007 for my suppressor, because it's the same I used for my SBRs.  If it were me, I'd save the money and go this route. Also, it's just a trust, there's nothing actually called a gun trust. Only people buying NFA stuff call these gun trusts, as they are really just trusts.

You can travel with your suppressor anywhere they are lawful (i.e.: you can't take it to Cali just because). No paperwork necessary to take across state lines / fly with it, besides your tax stamp (copy). Others will say bring a copy of your trust too, to show you are a trustee and lawfully allowed to have it.

CCW doesn't help, ESP with a trust because you don't own things in the trust.

Wife / anyone else can use suppressor as long as they're trustees. ETA: you *should* keep it secure when it's not with you / a trustee though.
View Quote
generic trust for $129.95 is plain crazy...I am in wrong business....LOL!  I am definitely going to look into what you suggested....thanks!

bring a copy of your trust too.....is kind of lame since if you have your tax stamp which has your name on it so trustee thing is not relevant...

Definitely, like all my firearms

Thanks again for all your input and suggestions!

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Your stamp only lists the name of your trust. There's nothing to say I can't start 1 trust and add all the HTF members on it, or start the BlkDragon Revocable Living Trust with Phoenix13 as the grantor and sole trustee.

I generally do not carry my trust, but know some that do. I just keep a shrunk down copy of my tax stamp in the PG.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Your stamp only lists the name of your trust
. There's nothing to say I can't start 1 trust and add all the HTF members on it, or start the BlkDragon Revocable Living Trust with Phoenix13 as the grantor and sole trustee.

I generally do not carry my trust, but know some that do. I just keep a shrunk down copy of my tax stamp in the PG.
View Quote
So trust is a must to purchase a suppressor then....???????

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just can't deal with the fact that I put out $1k for close to a year but have nothing in my hand to show for.....just can't deal with that but can't get out of it and if I don't make my move on one if our Government decides to ban or change the rules on Class 3 stuff then I am SOL.  

Another question.....what if BATFE denies one's request (has anyone ever been denied?), can one get his/her money back or one is pretty much out of what he/she put in toward the purchase and will FFL dealer going to keep the can and tell one to go F-off?

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your stamp only lists the name of your trust. There's nothing to say I can't start 1 trust and add all the HTF members on it, or start the BlkDragon Revocable Living Trust with Phoenix13 as the grantor and sole trustee.

Not at all. You can purchase a suppressor, SBR, MG, etc one of three ways: privately with a CLEO sign off, finger prints, etc., with a trust, or as a corporation.

I had made that statement since you originally talked about using a trust.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just can't deal with the fact that I put out $1k for close to a year but have nothing in my hand to show for.....just can't deal with that but can't get out of it and if I don't make my move on one if our Government decides to ban or change the rules on Class 3 stuff then I am SOL.  

Another question.....what if BATFE denies one's request (has anyone ever been denied?), can one get his/her money back or one is pretty much out of what he/she put in toward the purchase and will FFL dealer going to keep the can and tell one to go F-off?

View Quote

People have been "denied" where they need to make corrections on their applications and resubmit. To the best of my knowledge, you get your $200 of denied, since you never got the stamp.

I'm sure other have been denied for whatever legal reason too, but I don't know of any personally.

NFA stuff is one of those things where you gotta just pony up and buy it , then forget about it until it's approved. If you can't do that, then you won't ever get into the game, unless current laws are abolished.

Get over to the class 3 subforums amd start reading up, ESP on the stickied topics. A lot of really knowledgeable guys over there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

People have been "denied" where they need to make corrections on their applications and resubmit. To the best of my knowledge, you get your $200 of denied, since you never got the stamp.

I'm sure other have been denied for whatever legal reason too, but I don't know of any personally.
NFA stuff is one of those things where you gotta just pony up and buy it , then forget about it until it's approved. If you can't do that, then you won't ever get into the game, unless current laws are abolished.

Get over to the class 3 subforums amd start reading up, ESP on the stickied topics. A lot of really knowledgeable guys over there.
View Quote
Got it and will do.....thanks for all the info.....

I am not worried about getting denied......but just asking "if".......  I work too hard for my money, and can't chisel of my daughter's college fund to get one or my CFO will not be happy with me
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I found a link that has do it yourself documents for $29.95 which is a lot cheaper than $129.95 that SilencerShop is charging.....is it the same thing?  I can have it notarized here so that's not going to an issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
FREE, FROM HTF MEMBER TIM_MCBRIDE. SEE POST #1

FREE, FROM MEMBER MARYLAND_SHOOTER

I used Quicken, you can get a copy of 2007 for $1.99 + shipping from Barnes + Noble HERE

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

FREE, FROM HTF MEMBER TIM_MCBRIDE. SEE POST #1

FREE, FROM MEMBER MARYLAND_SHOOTER

I used Quicken, you can get a copy of 2007 for $1.99 + shipping from Barnes + Noble HERE
View Quote
I laugh so hard on what his disclaimer states "EDIT: I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV. Use at your own risk. And if you sue me I have nothing of value anyways."

Thanks can't go wrong with any of the links you provided

Another question:  I thought Gun Trust is something that need CLEO to sign off for Class 3 purchase but these you just download fill it out, then sign and notarize..and done....??????
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#13]
You need a CLEO sign off if you buy / make NFA as a private party. So if Billy Bob wants a suppressor, he needs a sign off, fingerprints, etc. If Billy Bob creates the Big Daddy Bubba Trust, then he can just submit a notarized copy of the trust and his purchase / tax stamp is processed. Billy Bob would not actually own the suppressor, the trust would. Billy Bob is just allowed to use it since he is the Grantor and Trustee.

Billy Bob can also make Peggy Sue (his wife), Leroy (dude that parks his trailer on their property), Billy Ray (his second cousin - half brother), and Bart (the local tow truck driver) as trustees, therefore giving them permission to use / posses the suppressor as well.

In a nutshell: Many people create a trust so that they don't have to deal with a CLEO sign off and fingerprints and whatnot, plus then others can use the items.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You need a CLEO sign off if you buy / make NFA as a private party. So if Billy Bob wants a suppressor, he needs a sign off, fingerprints, etc. If Billy Bob creates the Big Daddy Bubba Trust, then he can just submit a notarized copy of the trust and his purchase / tax stamp is processed. Billy Bob would not actually own the suppressor, the trust would. Billy Bob is just allowed to use it since he is the Grantor and Trustee.

Billy Bob can also make Peggy Sue (his wife), Leroy (dude that parks his trailer on their property), Billy Ray (his second cousin - half brother), and Bart (the local tow truck driver) as trustees, therefore giving them permission to use / posses the suppressor as well.
In a nutshell: Many people create a trust so that they don't have to deal with a CLEO sign off and fingerprints and whatnot, plus then others can use the items.
View Quote
Got it, that's a great info to know.......

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I am setting up one too.

Here is a hint.. some ranges, like C2 in Tempe will let you use your suppressor at their facility while your paperwork is being processed.
You can't take it home with you.. but you can come and use it at their range at anytime in between.

At least then you can use the dam thing while you pony up a G for it!

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am setting up one too.

Here is a hint.. some ranges, like C2 in Tempe will let you use your suppressor at their facility while your paperwork is being processed.
You can't take it home with you.. but you can come and use it at their range at anytime in between.

View Quote

What's that a hint to?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
That you can use your suppressor while during your waiting period at their range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I am setting up one too.

View Quote

I found that out from C2 when I was there checking on their cans......they will be carrying Silencerco in 2 weeks so I am hoping their prices are as good or better than MF though I don't mind buying one from MF since they are pretty cool folks (unlike before), especially the owner.  

I like the fact that C2 will allow you to use your can while waiting is a big plus....like you said at least you get to use it after paying for it
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
MF has the best prices on Suppressors and I was told that their Gun Trust is only $50........

Also I found out ATF is the one behind why eForm web site is down, they have temporarily shut it down, so MF is processing all the Forms by mail now but process time is the same.....

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't say that MF are the cheapest, but they're most likely the cheapest local dealer.

What are you going to get?

ETA:
Yes, ATF took E Forms down, no ETA in when it will be back up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I wouldn't say that MF are the cheapest, but they're most likely the cheapest local dealer.

What are you going to get?

ETA:

Yes, ATF took E Forms down, no ETA in when it will be back up.
View Quote
I am after SilencerCo Specwar 7.62.....probably sometime this week or next week.  I was hoping they have Easter sales and one will be Specwar but I was told no such luck

I found another web site that has it for cheaper but with transfer fee to MF ($100) so MF is still cheaper.  That's it for me....plus I have purchase few things from MF and they have been good to me
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree, good shop all around! Let us know how you like the specwar when you get it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I got it today, looked at it and played with it while doing paper work and I am very much impressed with it.  Lock is solid, can't wait to shoot with it but wait time just started, hopefully it shouldn't take a year  I will keep you posted for sure

The owner of MF told me Specwar 7.62 suppressed better than other suppressors, as good as higher end suppressors.  I am glad I made the right choice since I am planning on building 300blk one day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top