Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Experience from shooting major 3gun match's and from the people's directing those match's all point to three things that need to be observed when using the double spinner target.

1. The double spinner is level
2. The plates are tight, and checked for tightness per squad
3. The double spinner is square to the shooters shooting position

From prone I would have spun the rifle spinner much faster then I did.
With the spinner square to the shooting position I would have spun the rifle spinner much faster then I did.

From the window prop, plus off angle, equaled a much more difficult time making the rifle spinner spin.
The off angle had more to do with me taking longer and many more shots fired. With the spinner square to the shooter the shot timing is easier and more forgiving then at an angle. I consistently missed just over the target circle because the angle was different then Iam used to when engaging double spinners with rifles.

Bring back the rifle spinner, set a par engagement time on the clock, then move to something else on the stage.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
asu174 you could have rotated it if you wanted to, you were more than halfway there when I told you you could move on.
View Quote

I had no idea I was even getting hits or moving it.  Between everyone screaming at me, double ear pro, being poorly braced on the prop, and Aimpoint magnifier eye relief blacking out and moving toward me as the prop wobbled, I only heard one hit and couldn't see shit.  I was shocked when you told me to move.  I thought I would have been there 30 more seconds to even get it moving.

I don't think I did that much bitching, contrary to Sexy Ric's impression.  Everyone was just pissed at me.  I thought Paintball Tom was going to punch me in the face for forgetting the center target on stage 2.  I really did think it was a good match with one glitch.  Karl your worst stage design ever is still "wood blocks" by a long shot and it's going to be tough to beat that one.  This one just had a prop that shouldn't have been there and needed more consistency.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Between everyone screaming at me......
View Quote

PS- for anyone considering shooting this match that is now terrified of coming, you will not get yelled at or punched if you show up.  I've earned those honors.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think I did that much bitching, contrary to Sexy Ric's impression.
View Quote

I wasn't singling you or our squad out, there was more discontent amongst other shooters and other squads.  Match staff got an ear full from some people too after it was over.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The bitching, while rare, always astounds me.  I could understand if we were actually playing for something, but for bragging rights it seems absurd.  It's not like the winner would get to be the big spoon with asu174.

After watching the vids I say bring it back purely because I didn't get to fail hard at that stage haha.  Every other stage looked on point, well done.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
November 2014 scores are up!

Thank you for coming out to throw boulders with us!

https://twogunaction.squarespace.com/november-2014/
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Rock throwing with a spinner target for next month.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the new InRange.TV video of the Mosin Nagant & Nagant vs Trapdoor & Colt SAA:

https://www.full30.com/video/219a3090c409f10e5e06c4d0ef70df62
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Three people out of 47 that got it to spin.  One shooting battle rifle cartridge, one shooting a low mass system, and one who has done it a million times with a variable optic.
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance and my Google Fu being off, but I've been hearing this term a lot in last 6-12 months but never before. What exactly is a "low mass system" and why would it give an advantage? Is it the same advantage that the person shooting the battle rifle and the one shooting the variable scope had?

Sorry for the minor hijack.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance and my Google Fu being off, but I've been hearing this term a lot in last 6-12 months but never before. What exactly is a "low mass system" and why would it give an advantage? Is it the same advantage that the person shooting the battle rifle and the one shooting the variable scope had?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three people out of 47 that got it to spin.  One shooting battle rifle cartridge, one shooting a low mass system, and one who has done it a million times with a variable optic.

No problem.
Low mass operating system in an AR15 is a lightened weight carrier, and buffer system using an adjustable gas block to tune the action of the rifle.  The idea being to remove reciprocating mass out of the action and lessen the amount of sight disruption shot to shot.  

Bolt carriers range from the heavy side (M16) down to the light weight in aluminum and titanium.  The aluminum carriers are no longer made (short life cycle before being worn out).  Currently the trend is away from lightened stainless carriers, going with titanium carrier to save weight.  Using an adjustable gas block, a low mass carrier, a lightened buffer, a tuned buffer spring (all with proper tuning to the one type of ammo you will be using), and you have a very soft/fast cycling rifle.

There is discussion (too death) that low mass makes the rifle less reliable.  I have been playing with low mass now for 6months.  In that time the rifle has not malfunctioned once.  Then again I didn't make the mistake of tuning the rifle to the lightest of light (ie barely cycling) either.  Further I regularly clean and lube the rifle.

Low mass is mostly used for 3gun and other shooting games.  It isn't for everyone, and probably not the wisest choice for a personal defense weapon.

ETA: I was one of 3 people to spin the rifle spinner at the match.  Some discussed if it was the low mass system that allowed me to do this.  I say it was my experience having shot the spinner at plenty of 3gun match's over the years that allowed me to spin the spinner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the explanation.

I don't think they would be for me. When I do get the chance to do a match, I look at it like additional defense practice so I would want to use the same gun I would go to for personal defense.

Then again, if I had a bigger gun budget I may like a "match" rifle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
a purpose built 3gun rig is basically an SPR/DMR with lightened internal parts.  Stick with regular rifles and red dots for this match.  No great advantage is gained with the lower recoil impulse, and magnified optics can be a disadvantage at 2GACM when shooting from some of the more interesting positions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a new video camera to try out at the match. I didn't shoot any better with it 4 of the top 5 shooters were in Armor division! It must have been the armor right? Now everyone is going to be wearing armor!

December Match Video
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I had fun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got a new video camera to try out at the match. I didn't shoot any better with it 4 of the top 5 shooters were in Armor division! It must have been the armor right? Now everyone is going to be wearing armor!

December Match Video
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

December Match Video
View Quote

I hope everyone wears armor. That will slow a few of em down making it easier for my tactically padded ass to keep up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

December Match Video

http://youtu.be/pPzryrxDiUU?list=UUMtzZsMDN3a9uTBOHksF6SQ

Were you the guy with the ear muff mounted camera? If so, what kind of camera is that? I'm in the market for a 3-gun camera.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Were you the guy with the ear muff mounted camera? If so, what kind of camera is that? I'm in the market for a 3-gun camera
View Quote

Yah, that was me.
Its a PrimeX from Replay XD cameras. Its really light weight and takes pretty decent 1080P video and has all kinds of different mounting options. The best thing I like is the wi-fi. I can set it up and monitor it with my phone (Android) or my Ipad if I want to.

PrimeX Video Camera
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#20]
The German G43 was intended to replace the K98k as the standard issue rifle for all German soldiers in WWII - and ever rifle was, in theory, to have a 4x optical sight. This never happened, but several hundred thousand G43 rifles were made, and tens of thousands of those were issued with scopes for use as semiautomatic sniper rifles. We want to see how one of these handles in practical conditions, so we took Karl's newly-acquired rifle to a 2-Gun Action Challenge Match.

https://www.full30.com/video/eb6179349a4e5212f0faede7af6ba7be
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#21]
The officially formatted and cleaned up scores are up!

Sorry about the delay, I literally got home and got out of my car to get into my wife's car for evening plans we had and didn't get home until 1:30am.   I'm beat.

Congratulations to everyone who finished the match today and serious kudos, in my opinion, to the guys running stages 3 and 4 in the Armored division.   Awesome stuff.

http://twogunaction.squarespace.com/january-2015/
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
As always, a great match!! Thanks to all that put it together!!!!
Stage 1 and 4  was a challenge for me. It has been a while since I was out, so it was nice to see everyone again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent match. Stage 4 was a special form of awesomeness
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
InRangeTV will be supplying a demo Strike One 9mm pistol for a pistol only stage this month (Feb 2015); it has 3 magazines and is essentially brand new.

Just like the test last month with the MPAR556, if you wish to shoot this as your pistol in that one stage, bring 9mm and you'll need to be squadded on Squad 1.   Obviously squad 1 is limited in capacity so we can not guarantee anyone a slot.

This is a normal match and we frequently have a stage which is pistol only so we are not affecting the match in any way with this demo gun, we're just offering it to people on that squad who want to try it out and are willing to be on camera shooting it.

Thanks!

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No problem.

Low mass operating system in an AR15 is a lightened weight carrier, and buffer system using an adjustable gas block to tune the action of the rifle.  The idea being to remove reciprocating mass out of the action and lessen the amount of sight disruption shot to shot.  

Bolt carriers range from the heavy side (M16) down to the light weight in aluminum and titanium.  The aluminum carriers are no longer made (short life cycle before being worn out).  Currently the trend is away from lightened stainless carriers, going with titanium carrier to save weight.  Using an adjustable gas block, a low mass carrier, a lightened buffer, a tuned buffer spring (all with proper tuning to the one type of ammo you will be using), and you have a very soft/fast cycling rifle.

There is discussion (too death) that low mass makes the rifle less reliable.  I have been playing with low mass now for 6months.  In that time the rifle has not malfunctioned once.  Then again I didn't make the mistake of tuning the rifle to the lightest of light (ie barely cycling) either.  Further I regularly clean and lube the rifle.

Low mass is mostly used for 3gun and other shooting games.  It isn't for everyone, and probably not the wisest choice for a personal defense weapon.

ETA: I was one of 3 people to spin the rifle spinner at the match.  Some discussed if it was the low mass system that allowed me to do this.  I say it was my experience having shot the spinner at plenty of 3gun match's over the years that allowed me to spin the spinner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

I would say the magnified optic was the biggest advantage in completing the spinner.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would say the magnified optic was the biggest advantage in completing the spinner.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.

I would argue experience being the advantage.  I have a spinner target and in practice have spun it with both a red dot and ironsights.  I have also spun it offhand and all the way back to 300yds.  At distance past 100yds, the magnification is almost a requirement.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#27]
The FG42 thing-a-majig I was using had a standard ML2 red dot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#28]
2/3 that spun the spinner had magnification. The 1 that did not have magnification that spun the spinner had a large caliber that requires less hits to spin.

I'm not saying those are the only reasons, but they are advantages. If I had a magnified scope and a larger caliber I still probably wouldn't have spun it!

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2/3 that spun the spinner had magnification. The 1 that did not have magnification that spun the spinner had a large caliber that requires less hits to spin.

I'm not saying those are the only reasons, but they are advantages. If I had a magnified scope and a larger caliber I still probably wouldn't have spun it!

View Quote

I agree, those are advantages.   Sometimes that happens in life and you never know what you're going to get with  2G-ACM stages.

Sometimes you can bring a SMG and win this match and other times you're screwed. :)
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I agree, those are advantages.   Sometimes that happens in life and you never know what you're going to get with  2G-ACM stages.

Sometimes you can bring a SMG and win this match and other times you're screwed. :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why l usually bring 4 or 5 different rifles to each match so l can pick whichever works best for the challenges that month, unless there is a rifle l just have to shoot.  I will make sure the AR-10 is in the rotation now.

For that match l shot my race gun, .223, 1-4 optic, and did poorly.  Bought myself a swinger for Christmas.  Will do better next time.  I did manage to spin it with 4 rounds from a repro 1873 Winchester in 38-40 the other day, although only 25 yards away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Man, I am getting the itch again...

Son finishes Tee Ball in March...

Ammo prices are back to "normal"...

I guess I can come out and show you what a Serpa and a 1 point sling can do

I'll even bring my beater gun to make it fair
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#32]
2gACM - I sent you an e-mail.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Rule amendment:

Due to inconsistent enforcement and general workarounds by many shooters, the sling requirement has been turned into a recommendation rather than a requirement.

There will be stages in the future, guaranteed, where not having a sling will be a problem...but that's your problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#35]
NEW RULE:
You may not take OFF gear for a particular stage or put ON gear for a particular stage.
All guns (even when not used or loaded at stage start) must be cleared at the end of each stage.

Example: If you're wearing a pistol and a pistol belt, it stays on for all 4 stages even if the stage doesn't require it. This includes the pistol itself. Seating an empty magazine to protect the gun is wise.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#36]
There was a glitch with the email at the club, scores are good to go but we won't have them up until later tonight.

Sorry, be patient. :)

I know some of you earned that today on stage 2.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#38]
March 2015 scores are up:

SIXTY THREE shooters today...

http://twogunaction.squarespace.com/march-2015/
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#39]
it was great getting back out there.  Awesome match.  Stage 2 and 4 were fun and I loved the Kelly Neal drill.  My vid (lots of f-bombs).  I failed miserably on stage 2.  
http://youtu.be/53KpEc1rkHo
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#40]
AAR from yesterday's fun.

It was fun. That is all.

Stage1 was good and a great use of the long pallet.
Stage2 was brilliant in its brutality.
Stage3 was an outstanding test of movement and shooting.
Stage4 was good practice for me using a wheelchair to shoot. As it turns out, I have mad wheelchair skills.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I hadn't pulled a trigger of any kind in 18 months, and I pulled a nice 6th place finish! :) I need to work on my positional shooting, because Stage 1 killed me. I'm not used to barricade shooting or the unusual positions that stage called for, so I wasted a lot of time figuring out which position was going to work for me before starting to shoot. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with my results. It's my best placing ever. My wife joked that I should take long breaks from shooting more often!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fortunately, I was rocking a .308 so I owned the triple droppers.
View Quote

I was shooting 8mm Mauser and the great magnet was not with me.   The first triple dropper took 6 or 7 hits!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#45]
0830?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
0900 for sign in
0930 walk thru stage brief
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
0900 for sign in
View Quote

Winter hours?

Seems like a later start then it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Winter hours?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0900 for sign in

Winter hours?

Same start time for the past for ever.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
0900 for sign in

Winter hours?

From the OP

Time: 8:30am sign in - 9:00am safety brief and walkthrough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
0900 for sign in

Winter hours?

That's in the other time/space continuum.
Walk thru starts at 09:00 sharp
From the website:
Are you free on the 3rd Saturday of every month?
   If yes, then you have no excuse. Come out and shoot with us. We start sign in and squadding at 8:30am. We usually run until about 1:30 to 2:00, so you'll probably want to schedule a whole day. If you have to leave early, just let the RO know when you have to leave.
   If no, then try to arrange your schedule to come out. The matches are a lot of fun, and will give you a great idea of where your skill-set is using your guns in a practical manner.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top