Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2013 12:30:39 PM EDT
I have a pool that has sat empty for a while... from what I've been told, refilling the pool would simply cause *ALL* the plaster to pop up... and out of the pool. So I guess I have to replaster my pool.
Now a friend I know, also a member here, suggested I use Smart Seal pool epoxy. It basically is applied just like a paint. I've read reviews on the stuff, and it seems like everyone swears by it as a great alternative to a replastering.
I really don't think I can afford to have my pool replastered, though I would still like to know what it should cost to be done. Anyone know what an 18000 pool replaster would cost?

Should I just try to fill up the pool, and see if the plaster holds?

Should I go the epoxy route?

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just have a coupke companies come out and gice yoy estimates,  they usually don't charge for just the estimate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would just have a coupke companies come out and gice yoy estimates,  they usually don't charge for just the estimate.

This. Plus since you know the size of the pool and can give them the basic idea of the shape, depth of deep end and shallow end, they might even be able to give you an idea of cost over the phone.

As far as just filling it up and taking a chance, I would thoroughly examine the pool to make sure there are no hairline cracks. You likely won't see them when you are looking at the pool from the coping during the day because it is so bright. You will want to get in and really check it out. If you don't see cracks, before filling, wet the plaster first for a while before just tossing a hose in there. Also, if you do fill it, start filling at about 6pm, that way the majority of the filling is done when it isn't so hot.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Plus since you know the size of the pool and can give them the basic idea of the shape, depth of deep end and shallow end, they might even be able to give you an idea of cost over the phone.

As far as just filling it up and taking a chance, I would thoroughly examine the pool to make sure there are no hairline cracks. You likely won't see them when you are looking at the pool from the coping during the day because it is so bright. You will want to get in and really check it out. If you don't see cracks, before filling, wet the plaster first for a while before just tossing a hose in there. Also, if you do fill it, start filling at about 6pm, that way the majority of the filling is done when it isn't so hot.

I do see some hairline cracks actually.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that people can actually get Vinyl liners added to the pool. Would that work for my situation?
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually I was wrong about the size. It seems like its more likely 10,000 gallons.

Dimensions of my pool are about

-27ft x 14x

-3-3.5 ft shallow end

-5-5.5 feet deep end.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually I was wrong about the size. It seems like its more likely 10,000 gallons.

Dimensions of my pool are about

-27ft x 14x
-3-3.5 ft shallow end

-5-5.5 feet deep end.

You aren't looking at a lot of money at all. What would make is more expensive would be that Pebble Tech plaster.

Hairline cracks aren't necessarily a bad thing, but it's also impossible to tell if it is cracked all the way through the gunite.

Don't do the liner. They look like shit and don't hold up.

Search around for a pool plastering company, not a pool contractor since the contractor is basically a middleman and is going to simply mark up their work. All the plastering company should need to do is a quick acid wash, chip/rough up the surface of existing plaster so the new sticks to it, and fill your pool. It might be a 2 day process.

ETA: Once you find a couple plastering companies, a simple check with the ROC will tell you all you need to know. HTH.

Link Posted: 6/3/2013 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are even thinking of refilling it without having it looked at, I'd do it quick.  

Heat kills plaster more than just exposure.  It might hold up now.  It WILL NOT hold up if you leave it all summer... or even too many more 100F+ days.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, going with an actual pool plastering company can cost you the same as going through a pool company (who does use sub-contractors).  The reason being is that sub-contractors discount it when being sub-contracted.  It is actually cheaper for sub-contractors not to deal in retail and is cost them less money.  Here is why, they deal with somebody that knows what they are doing and doesn't ask 100 questions.  If each question only takes a minute to awnser, most take longer, you can see the time involved.  No sales comissions to pay and business is dropped in their lap.  I say this from experience as I work at a pool & landscape company.  I can't tell you how many clients go with a DIY company and end up paying the same or more for an inferior product.

Let me talk with my pool guy (I only do design, not pricing or install) and I will get a rough price together (for both plaster & Pebble-Tech).  The vast majority of people upgrade the interior if they need to re-plaster.  It isn't a lot more and it is a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a pool that has sat empty for a while... from what I've been told, refilling the pool would simply cause *ALL* the plaster to pop up... and out of the pool. So I guess I have to replaster my pool.

Now a friend I know, also a member here, suggested I use Smart Seal pool epoxy. It basically is applied just like a paint. I've read reviews on the stuff, and it seems like everyone swears by it as a great alternative to a replastering.

I really don't think I can afford to have my pool replastered, though I would still like to know what it should cost to be done. Anyone know what an 18000 pool replaster would cost?  

Should I just try to fill up the pool, and see if the plaster holds?

Should I go the epoxy route?

I had fiberglass for over twenty years and just had it redone in
fiberglass again.  No maintenance.  I run my pool pump on the weekends
when electricity is cheap.  As your pebbletech or plaster people what
happens to their pool if they try that.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Had Shasta replaster my pool a while back.  They did upgrade to their version of Pebbletech and did redo the cooldeck.  12000 gallons.  The total tab was around $6k if memory serves.  I suspect the new pool market is still pretty bleak so the prices may have not gone up too much
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually, the pool business it back to pre-recession levels.  Were as busy as we have ever been.  Everybody is busy and there isn't enough quality people around.  Everybody left in 2009 and found something else to do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Chipping out the old finish, new water line tile and re-plastering runs roughly $5K.  Pebble tech instead of plaster is roughly $6K.  Again, these are very rough estimates without even looking at the pool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top